Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Take (German) car back to UK or not?

Take (German) car back to UK or not?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Andytaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take (German) car back to UK or not?

Hi all,

I have hit a dilemma in my 'moving back to UK ' project.

I am moving back to the UK with my wife and kids after a long old time living in Germany.

I own an 8 year old German Vw golf. It's a good car and hasn't done a huge number of km. Now I also need a car in the UK... I am struggling to decide what to do ... As I see it I have the following options:

1. Sell car in Germany, and buy 2nd hand car when I arrive back in the green green grass of home.

2. Drive car back to UK and use it there until (a) it falls apart in a good few years or (b) a few months then sell it in UK ... Perhaps to someone who is miraculously moving to Germany!

3. Any other option?

What do you think? Also, if I plump for 2(a) does anyone know how long I can keep it with the German number plate before I have to re-register it in the UK?

Many thanks for any advice!

Andytaff
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take (German) car back to UK or not?

Originally Posted by Andytaff
Hi all,

I have hit a dilemma in my 'moving back to UK ' project.

I am moving back to the UK with my wife and kids after a long old time living in Germany.

I own an 8 year old German Vw golf. It's a good car and hasn't done a huge number of km. Now I also need a car in the UK... I am struggling to decide what to do ... As I see it I have the following options:

1. Sell car in Germany, and buy 2nd hand car when I arrive back in the green green grass of home.

2. Drive car back to UK and use it there until (a) it falls apart in a good few years or (b) a few months then sell it in UK ... Perhaps to someone who is miraculously moving to Germany!

3. Any other option?

What do you think? Also, if I plump for 2(a) does anyone know how long I can keep it with the German number plate before I have to re-register it in the UK?

Many thanks for any advice!

Andytaff
It is illegal for a UK resident to drive a German registered car in the UK, you would have to have it transferred onto UK plates, not oo sure what this would cost, but probably in the region of £1000, and remember that you would be driving a car in the UK not designed for driving on the left, so reduced visibility overtaking, difficulties if on your own at barrier car parks as the operating mechanisms would be on the passenger side.
Really it's up to you, but secondhand cars are not that expensive in the UK
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

Hi there

My experience (10 years in Europe and going back to the uk for the month of July) is that it is far safer to drive the correct drive car.

We used to drive over to the uk in our left hand drive but have always found hiring easier. maybe it is how we drive! It is more on the motorway that with a left hand drive car there seems to be a "blind spot" when moving into faster lanes.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Andytaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

"It is illegal for a UK resident to drive a German registered car in the UK".

I thought there was a period (6 weeks? 6 months?) where you could drive the car with its current plates before registerering it in the UK? Is this not true? Would I have to re-register it immedietely when I arrive in the UK?

Thanks again for any responses.

Andy