Tag & Garage Sales?

Old Jul 7th 2012, 3:30 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tag & Garage Sales?

Do you go to these? Or have you held one?

My OH is leary of these. He says they're a waste of time. He used to avoid boot sales back in England, saying they were the worst form of torture known to man, dozens of dodgy vendors & hundreds of dodgy shoppers all herded into some muddy farmer's field.

But they seem different in the US. I've pulled the car over at one or two here in our town & I love them! I usually end up buying a paperback book or two for around a quarter, but what I really like is chatting to the sellers, usually a mom or bored teen-ager who's had a clean-up & has decided to waste a day seeing if some money can be made off the result. What else is there to do that can make you some spare change on a hot day now that school is out for the summer?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tag & Garage Sales?

Yes we have bought loads of things from garage/yard sales. Lots of bargains to be had from people clearing out all the things they haven't used in ages.
We held one when we sold our old house and were moving back to UK, I got rid of all our furniture and loads toys and clothes all in one day.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning! Look for sales in good neighborhoods and you never know what treasures you will find (check newspaper listings or Craigslist). I have bought furniture, books, clothes (I have a sixties winter coat that cost $5 and I actually get stopped in the street or the store and complimented every time I wear it!), DVDs, CDs, jewelry, picture frames, prints, vases, lots of garden things -- all for a song.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think boot sales are OK, or used to be, although the dealers descending on you first thing can be scary.

I like yard sales, but I try to resist them as I would end up with too much stuff. I have bought a few things since I got here though.

One time I pulled up at one here which looked enticing with my son and his Iranian friend in the back. The old bloke running it was originally from the East End and so interested in us being British. He turned to my son and said, "Are you Jewish?" "No." Same question to the friend. "No." So finally he turns to me. "What about your husband? Jewish boy?"
Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I never really liked boot sales in the UK, especially when you just want to sell a few bits and yet have to pay twelve quid or more just to sell.

But here in the US, I've been to loads of garage sales. Some are pretty meh, old crap like skanky clothes that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Other times you can get some absolute bargains. I went to one (actually four in the same street, a block away from here) yesterday that - had I just arrived - I would have bought half the stuff they were selling, like cribs, kid's bed, baby toys, toddler toys, strollers, kitchenware... would have saved me a ton.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:16 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Our homeowners association has an annual yard sale weekend each July. It is advertised and very well attended by bargain seekers throughout the surrounding area.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

CherryPi is an unknown quantity at this point

I love yard/garage sales! It's been years since i've been to one (we used to go all the time as children in Canada), and I have to say I love a good car boot sale in England on a Sunday morning after a pork and stuffing sandwich!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:28 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I lost my taste for boot sales back home in England through doing about 6 in a row in the months before we moved over to the States last summer. The weather was either unbearably hot, blowing a gale, or bucketing rain. I had to pay £10+ for the privilege of being trapped for hours in said dusty or muddy field with no way to leave early. With the bad economy there were lots of lookers but not that many buyers. My husband only did one with me--that was it for him--the rest I did on my own.

Towards the end I got used to the pattern: unload & arrange my stuff while the early birds would grab at it & buy all the good items in the first hour, then sit there bored out of my head reading for 5 more hours while protecting what was left from blowing away or getting rained on (cover/uncover/dry off/cover again). . . .

Really, the only good thing about those boot sales were the little children--if one picked up something I was flogging I usually gave it to them (one of my kids' ol toys) . . . .
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hit and miss.

In our town, they tend to be shit. In our previous town, which was a lot posher, they were actually pretty good.

I don't bother to hunt them out like some people around here to, but if we see something, might pull over for a look, usually for cheap kids toys.

Definitely hit the library book sales in the local towns though. Ours sell hardback books for a buck, but on the last day it's $5 to fill a grocery bag with as many books as you can so it's a great way to get the kids a bunch of new books for cheap.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Our homeowners association has an annual yard sale weekend each July. It is advertised and very well attended by bargain seekers throughout the surrounding area.
Our last place, condo, used to do it, but they stopped doing it the summer we were moving out, which was annoying.

Folks got a bit sick of the traffic through the condo and the HOA couldn't agree to have it in a particular area of the grounds and the management company wasn't going to cover the liability insurance from the dues, so no one else wanted to pay extra for it. Meh.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I did a couple at the end of our drive when we were moving. Not much trade as it was up a quiet country lane. There was a flock of wild turkeys come across from the piece of forested flat ground we had though. I hopped in the car sharpish incase they took a dislike, but it was nice to see them.
I did go to a local one a few times in the UK, but didn't buy very much.

Last edited by joto; Jul 8th 2012 at 4:40 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:49 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Our last place, condo, used to do it, but they stopped doing it the summer we were moving out, which was annoying.

Folks got a bit sick of the traffic through the condo and the HOA couldn't agree to have it in a particular area of the grounds and the management company wasn't going to cover the liability insurance from the dues, so no one else wanted to pay extra for it. Meh.
Ours is entirely single family houses on separate lots. The traffic tends to be mostly foot. Those coming from outside the area are fairly dispersed throughout the hundreds of homes and dozens of streets.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

We've held two. Both times we had more stuff nicked than sold. I think I'll sit in a rocking chair with a shotgun on my lap the next time we hold one.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:31 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Bob
In our town, they tend to be shit. In our previous town, which was a lot posher, they were actually pretty good.
I've heard people say the tag sales were so much better in general up till a few years ago. This may be true on both sides of the Pond, that people nowadays are hanging onto their old stuff and repairing it rather than just getting rid of it at tag sales.

Definitely hit the library book sales in the local towns though. Ours sell hardback books for a buck, but on the last day it's $5 to fill a grocery bag with as many books as you can so it's a great way to get the kids a bunch of new books for cheap.
These library sales are terrific!! Every town around here seems to have the banner up for a huge library book sale coming this month or next. I don't remember this happening at our old English library at all . . . .
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:15 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Yeah, we have that too. It seems to be pretty well attended (only been one since we've lived here).
We've done it and had good luck selling things and have also bought bits and pieces too from them. It can be a bit hit or miss though you can normally tell by the neighbourhood it's in how good it's likely to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.