Tag & Garage Sales?

Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tag & Garage Sales?

Apparently we're about to have one so I will be able to tell you shortly . I haven't gone to one here, mostly because of parking issues on main roads but I have heard you can find some cheap (but decent) camera and musical gear being sold by people who don't know what it is worth ...

I went to a couple back home, when I was younger I bought a bunch of toy soldiers off a boy up the road for 10p - that was good.

I used to like the one they had at the old airport - basically it was a bunch of pikeys but you could usually pick up some Bulgarian B&H for about £20.00
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I've heard people say the tag sales were so much better in general up till a few years ago. This may be true on both sides of the Pond, that people nowadays are hanging onto their old stuff and repairing it rather than just getting rid of it at tag sales.

These library sales are terrific!! Every town around here seems to have the banner up for a huge library book sale coming this month or next. I don't remember this happening at our old English library at all . . . .
Ours used to sell off withdrawn books, but I think they did it on a continuous basis.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ours used to sell off withdrawn books, but I think they did it on a continuous basis.
The sales around here feature books donated throughout the preceding year. A lot of people seem to buy the new best seller and then donate it as soon as they've read it. Besides the ones from individuals, they sometimes get boxes of books donated by local authors or even the stock of book stores going out of business -- the local school is taken over for one of the sales and there is room after room of carefully sorted books -- they even alpha the novels! As Bob said, the final day it is grab a bag and pile it high for $5, the next-to-last day everything is half price and that's when I usually go. I'm still reading the pile I snagged last year . . . and this year's sale is next weekend.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The sales around here feature books donated throughout the preceding year. A lot of people seem to buy the new best seller and then donate it as soon as they've read it. Besides the ones from individuals, they sometimes get boxes of books donated by local authors or even the stock of book stores going out of business -- the local school is taken over for one of the sales and there is room after room of carefully sorted books -- they even alpha the novels! As Bob said, the final day it is grab a bag and pile it high for $5, the next-to-last day everything is half price and that's when I usually go. I'm still reading the pile I snagged last year . . . and this year's sale is next weekend.
Oh yeah they're very good - I used to help run them for the local 'Friends' group until the internal politics got too much.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I like yard saling.

Only thing that irritates me are people putting out what appears to be junk. I've been to some where they have items so bad, I've genuinely got better things on the side of the road left out for the bin man, which I also have a habit of stopping and taking

For kids toys, you can't go wrong... generally peanuts and kids think you're a legend My wife picked up a nice trike for the kids over the weekend (old style with a solid metal frame) for $3.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:10 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i've picked up some cracking stuff like board games that are still in wrappers (like monopoloy or cluedo) for a buck or kids clothing for 25 cents a piece.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I don't shop at yard sales bu I actually held my own today... Being paid to sit on my arse in the sun and getting rid of some of the clutter, what's not to like.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:35 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i've picked up some cracking stuff like board games that are still in wrappers (like monopoloy or cluedo) for a buck or kids clothing for 25 cents a piece.
Me too. I found an iron for $2 last week. I asked if I could test it out first & the lady let me take it into her house & plug it in to see if it worked. Her kids were playing in the wading pool in the back yard & we had a nice chat.

I think these tag sales are great if you go into them with no expectations! You can't really "shop" for anything specific, but serandipity does yield some wonderful surprises.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

We loved going to car boot sales. I don't think we ever left one without at least buying a cd or two. The town we live in now just had a similar sale, sellers paid for a spot in the city hall car park and buyers made the rounds of tables and stalls. I like that much better than driving around town from sale to sale. We bought a dvd and a jigsaw puzzle for $1 each. Bargain!