Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sushi in the UK supermarkets?

Sushi in the UK supermarkets?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Sushi in the UK supermarkets?

As you know I'm moving back from Canada and the thing I will really miss is the fab sushi. Does anyone know if they are selling decent sushi in the supermarkets now in England? I did have some crappy stuff from m&S last time I was back but it was yuk. I love California rolls and dynamite rolls the best are they into that yet?

Thanks guys
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sushi in the UK supermarkets?

Originally Posted by fishfinger
As you know I'm moving back from Canada and the thing I will really miss is the fab sushi. Does anyone know if they are selling decent sushi in the supermarkets now in England? I did have some crappy stuff from m&S last time I was back but it was yuk. I love California rolls and dynamite rolls the best are they into that yet?

Thanks guys
Waitrose do a really nice range. For a supermarket.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Sainsbury's does too
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Looks like I might be saved Thanks!

How about restaurants, are they becoming more popular now?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I might be saved Thanks!

How about restaurants, are they becoming more popular now?
Pret-a-Manger (nationwide sandwich bar) do sushi - its sushi is only on a par with M&S tho, IMO.

Not sure where you're headed but up our way (NW UK) there are very few places. Selfridges in Manchester has a sushi bar in it, which is about as good as we get round here. I do like going there for the sushi as it does have a very large range of dishes (both on the conveyor belt and to order - and it's very well priced).

We went to a Japanese restaurant in Wilmslow recently (supposedly the best in the NW - and maybe it is) but it didn't really compare to the places we used to go to in Melbourne. I don't know what the rest of the UK is like (London probably has heaps of choice) but up here it's pretty limited.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Pret-a-Manger (nationwide sandwich bar) do sushi - its sushi is only on a par with M&S tho, IMO.

Not sure where you're headed but up our way (NW UK) there are very few places. Selfridges in Manchester has a sushi bar in it, which is about as good as we get round here. I do like going there for the sushi as it does have a very large range of dishes (both on the conveyor belt and to order - and it's very well priced).

We went to a Japanese restaurant in Wilmslow recently (supposedly the best in the NW - and maybe it is) but it didn't really compare to the places we used to go to in Melbourne. I don't know what the rest of the UK is like (London probably has heaps of choice) but up here it's pretty limited.
We're heading to the Berks/Hants/Surrey area, I wonder if they have any in Reading? The sushi bar in Selfridges, Manchester sounds great. Thanks for your help, I never liked the stuff before I went to Canada.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We're heading to the Berks/Hants/Surrey area, I wonder if they have any in Reading? The sushi bar in Selfridges, Manchester sounds great. Thanks for your help, I never liked the stuff before I went to Canada.
Yes, there is a sushi bar in Reading town centre. I was in Reading last week - didn't get to the sushi bar as had a baby and toddler in tow, but it's on Broad Street! My OH works in Reading and goes to the sushi place every week - says it's pretty good. (And Pret-a-Manger is just across the street, as is M&S )
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:59 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys
M&S do sushi too but not well. Learn to make your own is my advice.....
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me want to go back to Japan instead of the UK.
(That may well happen actually)
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, there is a sushi bar in Reading town centre. I was in Reading last week - didn't get to the sushi bar as had a baby and toddler in tow, but it's on Broad Street! My OH works in Reading and goes to the sushi place every week - says it's pretty good. (And Pret-a-Manger is just across the street, as is M&S )
Oh wow, do you know the name of the place? I know exactly where pret is in Reading and M&S. Your husband has a long commute from up near Manchester. He obviously doesn't go into Reading everyday does he?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh wow, do you know the name of the place? I know exactly where pret is in Reading and M&S. Your husband has a long commute from up near Manchester. He obviously doesn't go into Reading everyday does he?
OK, just checked with OH and it's called 'Wa'. It's on King St, right by Broad St.

He doesn't commute every day!! His company head office is in Reading so he usually makes an appearance once every few weeks. However, at the mo, he needs to go every week for a couple of days.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, just checked with OH and it's called 'Wa'. It's on King St, right by Broad St.

He doesn't commute every day!! His company head office is in Reading so he usually makes an appearance once every few weeks. However, at the mo, he needs to go every week for a couple of days.
Thanks so much, I'll check it out when I go back.

Thank goodness your husband doesn't commute everyday, would be a nightmare! My husband used to work in Reading for HP before we came to Canada.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys
Nottingham have a really good one.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blowfly
Nottingham have a really good one.
Bit too far for me!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
M&S do sushi too but not well. Learn to make your own is my advice.....
Good idea, the kids have been asking me to have a go making sushi, I might just do it. Tried the M&S sushi once and it was horrible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.