British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Supermarket Cashiers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/supermarket-cashiers-714052/)

Englishmum Apr 20th 2011 5:08 pm

Supermarket Cashiers

I was at a checkout counter yesterday and the cashier looked exhausted - she was heavily pregnant.

I asked her if she had a chair to sit on whilst she worked and she said that they're not allowed to sit down (presumably because they also have to pack groceries). I felt terribly sorry for her - she said that her ankles were swollen and her baby is due in 6 weeks. It can't be very healthy for a pregnant woman to have to stand for hours like that.

It's not the first time I've seen very pregnant cashiers having to stand whilst they worked and I've noticed that no cashier gets to sit down in a variety of shop chains - eg. Trader Joe's, Target, Walmart, Home Depot.

AFAIK in the UK the supermarket cashiers have (swivel) chairs to sit on, regardless of whether they're pregnant or not. When I was in Tesco's last month I was asked if I needed help with packing my groceries, although I was quite happy to do it myself.

I don't know if it's just New Jersey where supermarket (or indeed, I think everywhere?) cashiers have to continuously stand whilst working, is it the norm throughout the US?

Hmmm - just came across this thread about the same thing:

http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/view...=95381&start=0

limeynus Apr 20th 2011 5:12 pm

Re: Supermarket Cashiers

I think standing is the norm in the US.

I have a girlfriend who's been a checker for 20 + years ... she's had both knees replaced due to the pressures of standing at work.

Personally, I think they should be able to have a chair if they want... can't be fun standing for hours at a time.

N1cky Apr 20th 2011 5:18 pm

It seems to be standard practice in the US, and I think people have argued about it on here before.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with cashiers sitting down to do their job, I don't see that it slows them down any.

I'd sooner pack my bags myself and get out of the store too, all these people who stand around flicking through a magazine while the cashier scans all their stuff and then wait for them to pack it drive me crazy.

Poppy girl Apr 20th 2011 5:55 pm

Its supposed to be a fire hazzard :rolleyes: and also can cause accidents by obstructing the cashiers check out area.....

1chumly Apr 20th 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9317043)
Its supposed to be a fire hazzard :rolleyes: and also can cause accidents by obstructing the cashiers check out area.....

Sounds like elf and safety has moved over here.

Poppy girl Apr 20th 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9317148)
Sounds like elf and safety has moved over here.

Yes they are very strict about aisles being blocked and carts in certain areas etc etc.

another bloody yank Apr 20th 2011 11:24 pm

My wife is a bank teller. She's not allowed to sit either, even when she's working the drive up window. It's considered rude or disrespectful to sit when the customer is standing. Apparently.:rolleyes: The tellers did have stools at her old bank though, so it must be the owner's descision.

Poppy girl Apr 21st 2011 12:13 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 9317619)
My wife is a bank teller. She's not allowed to sit either, even when she's working the drive up window. It's considered rude or disrespectful to sit when the customer is standing. Apparently.:rolleyes: The tellers did have stools at her old bank though, so it must be the owner's descision.

They can sit in CA but then we are always bloody different lol...our lot have high stools.

mellybrown Apr 21st 2011 1:38 am

I just left work at 8 months preggers and didnt get a stool to sit on. I worked customer service at homegoods and was expected to stand like the rest of them, and hold my pee till my 1 measly 15 min break.......you try being 8 months pregnant and told you can pee once in 6 hours........cant say I was sad to leave!!!

Poppy girl Apr 21st 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 9317809)
I just left work at 8 months preggers and didnt get a stool to sit on. I worked customer service at homegoods and was expected to stand like the rest of them, and hold my pee till my 1 measly 15 min break.......you try being 8 months pregnant and told you can pee once in 6 hours........cant say I was sad to leave!!!

Never been pregnant and can't hold me pee even now for 6 hours lol.

Did not know you were expecting congrats :wub:

Married2abrit Apr 21st 2011 1:47 am

I worked at a grocery store when I was 18 and we were not allowed to sit down. I remember dating my husband and visiting the UK for the first time. We went to ASDA in Harrogate and our cashier was sitting down. When we finished I asked my husband if the cashier was allowed a seat because of a disability or something and he said no, everyone was allowed to sit. I said, well they'd be fired where I'm from. I would love to have a seat where I work now.

AmerLisa Apr 21st 2011 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Married2abrit (Post 9317827)
I worked at a grocery store when I was 18 and we were not allowed to sit down. I remember dating my husband and visiting the UK for the first time. We went to ASDA in Harrogate and our cashier was sitting down. When we finished I asked my husband if the cashier was allowed a seat because of a disability or something and he said no, everyone was allowed to sit. I said, well they'd be fired where I'm from. I would love to have a seat where I work now.

How interesting (not the seat debate, its been debated before) that you were in ASDA in Harrogate. We lived in Harrogate before we moved here (my older daughter still lives there.) Is your husband from Harrogate? Btw, I'm American and my husband is British (not from Harrogate though.)

tonrob Apr 21st 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 9317809)

I'd have just pissed all over the floor.

Sarah Apr 21st 2011 3:45 am

Its pretty horrible how pregnant women in the workplace are treated most of the time anyway. Not letting people sit down is just unnecessarily cruel IMO. I'd love to see where they're info is from that its a fire hazard. Where's Norma Rae when you need her.

Giantaxe Apr 21st 2011 3:58 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9317844)
I'd have just pissed all over the floor.

... and then sued the company for not providing adequate accommodation for pregnant women.