Supermarket Cashiers

Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Supermarket Cashiers

I was at a checkout counter yesterday and the cashier looked exhausted - she was heavily pregnant.

I asked her if she had a chair to sit on whilst she worked and she said that they're not allowed to sit down (presumably because they also have to pack groceries). I felt terribly sorry for her - she said that her ankles were swollen and her baby is due in 6 weeks. It can't be very healthy for a pregnant woman to have to stand for hours like that.

It's not the first time I've seen very pregnant cashiers having to stand whilst they worked and I've noticed that no cashier gets to sit down in a variety of shop chains - eg. Trader Joe's, Target, Walmart, Home Depot.

AFAIK in the UK the supermarket cashiers have (swivel) chairs to sit on, regardless of whether they're pregnant or not. When I was in Tesco's last month I was asked if I needed help with packing my groceries, although I was quite happy to do it myself.

I don't know if it's just New Jersey where supermarket (or indeed, I think everywhere?) cashiers have to continuously stand whilst working, is it the norm throughout the US?

Hmmm - just came across this thread about the same thing:

http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/view...=95381&start=0

Last edited by Englishmum; Apr 20th 2011 at 5:17 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Supermarket Cashiers

I think standing is the norm in the US.

I have a girlfriend who's been a checker for 20 + years ... she's had both knees replaced due to the pressures of standing at work.

Personally, I think they should be able to have a chair if they want... can't be fun standing for hours at a time.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be standard practice in the US, and I think people have argued about it on here before.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with cashiers sitting down to do their job, I don't see that it slows them down any.

I'd sooner pack my bags myself and get out of the store too, all these people who stand around flicking through a magazine while the cashier scans all their stuff and then wait for them to pack it drive me crazy.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Its supposed to be a fire hazzard and also can cause accidents by obstructing the cashiers check out area.....
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Its supposed to be a fire hazzard and also can cause accidents by obstructing the cashiers check out area.....
Sounds like elf and safety has moved over here.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Sounds like elf and safety has moved over here.
Yes they are very strict about aisles being blocked and carts in certain areas etc etc.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:24 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a bank teller. She's not allowed to sit either, even when she's working the drive up window. It's considered rude or disrespectful to sit when the customer is standing. Apparently. The tellers did have stools at her old bank though, so it must be the owner's descision.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My wife is a bank teller. She's not allowed to sit either, even when she's working the drive up window. It's considered rude or disrespectful to sit when the customer is standing. Apparently. The tellers did have stools at her old bank though, so it must be the owner's descision.
They can sit in CA but then we are always bloody different lol...our lot have high stools.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:38 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I just left work at 8 months preggers and didnt get a stool to sit on. I worked customer service at homegoods and was expected to stand like the rest of them, and hold my pee till my 1 measly 15 min break.......you try being 8 months pregnant and told you can pee once in 6 hours........cant say I was sad to leave!!!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I just left work at 8 months preggers and didnt get a stool to sit on. I worked customer service at homegoods and was expected to stand like the rest of them, and hold my pee till my 1 measly 15 min break.......you try being 8 months pregnant and told you can pee once in 6 hours........cant say I was sad to leave!!!
Never been pregnant and can't hold me pee even now for 6 hours lol.

Did not know you were expecting congrats
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at a grocery store when I was 18 and we were not allowed to sit down. I remember dating my husband and visiting the UK for the first time. We went to ASDA in Harrogate and our cashier was sitting down. When we finished I asked my husband if the cashier was allowed a seat because of a disability or something and he said no, everyone was allowed to sit. I said, well they'd be fired where I'm from. I would love to have a seat where I work now.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
I worked at a grocery store when I was 18 and we were not allowed to sit down. I remember dating my husband and visiting the UK for the first time. We went to ASDA in Harrogate and our cashier was sitting down. When we finished I asked my husband if the cashier was allowed a seat because of a disability or something and he said no, everyone was allowed to sit. I said, well they'd be fired where I'm from. I would love to have a seat where I work now.
How interesting (not the seat debate, its been debated before) that you were in ASDA in Harrogate. We lived in Harrogate before we moved here (my older daughter still lives there.) Is your husband from Harrogate? Btw, I'm American and my husband is British (not from Harrogate though.)
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I'd have just pissed all over the floor.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:45 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty horrible how pregnant women in the workplace are treated most of the time anyway. Not letting people sit down is just unnecessarily cruel IMO. I'd love to see where they're info is from that its a fire hazard. Where's Norma Rae when you need her.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd have just pissed all over the floor.
... and then sued the company for not providing adequate accommodation for pregnant women.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.