Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: to sum up...why do so many return from Oz ?

Originally Posted by manc1
Opinions and arseholes just about sums it up.

Very true, some stink, some don't.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

I think you have to take the rough with the smooth. Nothing will go perfectly according to plan when you move abroad. I guess the main question is where do you feel most at home and happy. For some they move here and love it for others not so.

I do also think there is a slight anti-england feeling among a small minority Im not saying it's really bad but there is a slight them against us mentality amongst some Aussies.

I guess at the end of the day you can say you gave it a go rather then wondering what if.

Last edited by Nathan84; Sep 9th 2008 at 5:24 am.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:29 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techieguy
The terrible media and TV in Australia is enough to drive anyone away. The extremes in climate can be an annoyance too as are the Aussies themselves!
Where is your karma button gone, have you been a naughty boy?

Originally Posted by northernbird
The butcher and his wife are very good friends of mine. When he started work here for a very reputable butcher near the City he was working daft hours, worse than the UK to be honest. His quality of life was zero. He left his job and has just started training to be a police officer.
Are they the couple from Luton C?

Originally Posted by Hertford
I have this same problem. I immigrated to Canada four years ago, with my Mum, Dad and sister, but two years down the line, I went back to visit relatives for six weeks, and I entered a state of depression upon leaving English soil. It took just over a month and a half for me to settle down again. I have just come back from another visit for seven weeks, and once again I feel myself loosing concentration already. I have to go to school in half hour!
I'd like to persuade my parents to move us back to England, but my dad won't seem to budge. I have told him how I feel and I am awaiting his reply later on.
When I'm in England, I feel rather safe, secure, and at home, I do not feel safe or at home here. I feel secure (A bit too secure perhaps!), and that's it. I'm not happy.
Problem is, we can afford to move back after we've sold our house here, but Dad does not like all the taxes, the congestion and all that. I think our hometown in Ware, Hertfordshire is a lovely place, Dad doesn't.
How old are you Hertford? I know Ware quite well and I also think it's nice.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl

We met a couple from Ware and visited them. What a lovely village. Their house was a tiny terraced but cost 3 times more than the house we lived in oop North.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

yes they are, they now live in Quinns.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:33 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
yes they are, they now live in Quinns.
Funny i saw that aswell. Man they how did they get all that stuff from their place in Luton over to Oz!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:41 pm

Hertford is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sixteen in two weeks time. I love Ware. I'm a trainspotter, and Ware has a branch line -> Main line link station. Perfect for me.
However, Dad thinks it's too crowded and too rough. I've tried to tell him that Ware is actually one of the safest places in the UK to live, as long as you aren't around late on a Friday or Saturday night when the pubs empty out. Ware is a little crowded, it really shows on Musley Hill. Only one lane of traffic can go up or down the hill at a time, drivers going down have to pull over to let traffic pass them to go up the hill.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We met a couple from Ware and visited them. What a lovely village. Their house was a tiny terraced but cost 3 times more than the house we lived in oop North.
Ware is a town. I love Ware, but it's expensive. A semi-detached three bedroom house is £225,000 in Ware.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spain
friends of ours have arrived in Oz this week to start their new lives, just reading on here that a lot of you have/are returning from down under and just wondered if you could sum up the main reasons for going back
I think the main reason , is Belonging,

We know and have met quite a few people that have lived here for over 20yrs +, but still say they would go back if it was not for the children now being australian,s etc. The children get their belonging for Australia, as the parents get their's for the memory's and gut feelings for what they had.

How people say they still won't to die in the country of there birth.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of Brits come to Australia with very unrealistic expectations. They expect a sunnier version of the UK when in fact the culture is quite different. This means they don't always make much effort to adapt and integrate.

Another reason so many return is simply that so many go to Oz in the first place.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:58 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
a) If they dislike it they have just as much right to 'put down' the country as you do with regard Australia and b) Why does it necessarily follow that they only do so to 'condone' their decision?
I would never and have never put Australia down in front of an Australian!!!!!

And to answer your second point - because they openly admit to slagging off the UK to make them selves feel better about their decision
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt realise when I came to australia that you are forever branded as a pom, as an outsider. I constantly get asked where I am visiting from, (I often say from my house a few miles away :P), how long am I staying etc.

When I explain I have been here years they are always shocked saying my accent hasnt changed, as if its something I should have done by now.

I thought that after awhile we would be accepted but australians constantly like to make it clear that this is their country and you are only visiting.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
I thought that after awhile we would be accepted but australians constantly like to make it clear that this is their country and you are only visiting.
I have never had that happen to me. I find most Australians are quite happy for most others to choose Australia as their new home.

I will assume that there are exceptions, but I have been lucky enough not to come across them in my 18 years of living here. And I still have a Mancunian accent.

Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Lee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant futureLee and Laura has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ketty
experience of live.
So for some people its good to know where you belong to.
Better going back after several years, than missing the experience.
What could be mor boring looking back in the age of 75 and tell yourself: I missed so much, turn back the time.
Spot on!

I think its good to know where you belong but why should you be tied to it all your life? Life is about experiencing and living to the full....regrets would depress me more.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:46 am
Just Joined

ballan is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived on Oz for 25 years I have found that the majority of Brits return because they miss close family, or were unprepared for the transition workwise.Men seem to settle easier having work mates and a routine to follow.Wives on the other hand find it harder to adapt particularly if they are not working and have no close relatives to relate to.Often is the case that new emigrants buy housing in the new suburbs which take time to develop all the infrastructure around it, and public transport difficult
Perth for example now requires at least $A550000 for a reasonable house in a good suburb, if you pay $A350000 you will end up in an outer or new suburb
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure everyone's reasons are different but that "sense of belonging" is a common theme.
We have only been here less than 3 months but I just don't fit in here. I'm at the homesick stage of missing my family, even though we didn't live that near them in the UK, its just knowing that I'm not going to see anyone for at least a year or 2 that makes it hard. We are also struggling financially as OHs salary is less than half what he got in the UK but our monthly costs are about the same, not less!
We are living in a nice rental, in a great area, kids have settled well at school but it still does not feel good at the moment. I think there is a case of seeing the UK with the rose tinted spectacles on, and its easy to knock everything here from the awful clothes, to the expensive food etc - I'm not very positive at the moment and I can feel that spiralling towards to the point of just having to return to the UK.
However, we moved our money over when the exchange rate was poor (because we thought it was going to get worse, not better) but now the rate has really picked up again (which makes me feel sick) so we would lose a lot more if we changed it back to £sterling now, I don't know where we would return to in the UK, the children don't want to go back at all, so its really hard at the moment, knowing what to do for the best and how to plan for the next year.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.