Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on good parts of Brighton to live

Wikiposts

Suggestions on good parts of Brighton to live

Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions on good parts of Brighton to live

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh god forgot about whitehawk .....Oh thats why my sister was not answering the phone she'll be watching the parade...........
Not a place you can forget easily is it

Don't ever get lost there, scary place.....any other Terry Garoghan fans out there?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

It's always a a good laugh on The Weakest Link program (Mon to Fri BBC1-TV 1715 - 1800 hrs) when Anne Robinson gets to take the piss out of the contestants which is very much her trademark.

Each time there are blokes from Brighton on the show she asks them if they like musicals. She automatically assumes that they are gay, and nine times out of ten they are although you would never have guessed in some cases - in others you would suspect.

The last contestant from Brighton who was gay was a bus driver in Brighton and Hove and built like a rugby prop forward and said he came from Newcastle originally. Anyway, only about half of them say they like musicals, and why should they? Not all straight blokes like football.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ha..I forgot about Whitehawk too...how could I when it was just up the hill ..doh!

Yep, you have to be prepared for anything in Brighton! We were going to live in St Kilda when we first got to Melbourne and then someone said .."it's a funny place, saw a guy with a beard wearing a dress the other night" ha ha says me that's nothing, I live in Brighton!

I used to love going to Gay Pride - even my folks love going so I expect they were down there yesterday. You used to see the same drag queens each year and wonder what they'd be wearing. Great for photo's too and I've sold quite a few of them over the years!

Oooooo I'm home sick now too....not for the UK in general, just Brighton!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

Oh Brighton! When you step out of the station down the hill, and the sea is twinkling at the bottom, and the people are scurrying about busy busy, and the sound of 70s funk wafting up from the North Laine, the smell of kebabs, outlandishly dressed people, Chris Eubank driving around in his truck...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaP
Oh Brighton! When you step out of the station down the hill, and the sea is twinkling at the bottom, and the people are scurrying about busy busy, and the sound of 70s funk wafting up from the North Laine, the smell of kebabs, outlandishly dressed people, Chris Eubank driving around in his truck...
I can do without Eubank, but the rest of it is.................
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Been watching updates on Pride on the Sussex Police feed on twitter today - really brings back so many memories - always an amazing weekend
And the carnage afterwards I was on a train at 6am to get a flight to Gatwick (saying goodbyeee to an auntie in Scotland), bodies EVERYWHERE at the station! You've got to hand it to the council they do an amazing cleanup job. It's a totally mundane point but the rubbish and recycling collections are excellent, as is the street cleaning. Must cost a fortune

Oh I will miss it here, just the sight of the sea at the end of a long day makes it all so lovely, mooching round North Laine with an ice cream watching people go by....

And yes you totally don't need a car! I catch the bus everywhere now - Day rover £3.60 to go all the way to Worthing (although a centre fare is expensive at £1.50 and from North Street to Brighton station is £1 - I do that when I feel uber lazy ). Yearly bus pass works out at a £1 a day which is really very reasonable.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LisaP

I haven't seen Chris Eubank but I've done yoga next to Katie Price Been looking out for Zoe and Norm but haven't spotted them yet.....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Is Chris Eubank still in Brighton? We used to see him all the time when we first moved there. Didn't he get made bankrupt and I think he sold his house for development?

I saw Dora Bryan once in the Marina and OH spotted Cate Blanchett in ASDA! Apart from that we never got to see any of the local celebs.

I bet yoga with Katie Price was interesting...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koalakim
Is Chris Eubank still in Brighton? We used to see him all the time when we first moved there. Didn't he get made bankrupt and I think he sold his house for development?

I saw Dora Bryan once in the Marina and OH spotted Cate Blanchett in ASDA! Apart from that we never got to see any of the local celebs.

I bet yoga with Katie Price was interesting...
She was actually really nice although she was trying to chat to her mate the whole way through and the instructor told her off quite a few times! Her fella Alex was there too, he couldn't hack it at all, all muscle but no flexibility

Heather Mills owns the cafe down on the seafont near the watersports bit by Portslade - deliberately haven't gone in there since Dunno bout Chris Eubank though I'm sure he did get made bankrupt.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is that the new cafe that's opened up? Looks like some sort of diner...I guess without the beef burgers ! I went past there a few times last trip and didn't remember it being there the year before.

Did she get the house on the beach or did Macca get to keep that...if she is still there it's not far to go to work! Not that I suppose for one moment she works in it!

My fav cafe for a hot summers day is the one at the volleyball courts -with sun, decking and sand you could almost be in Oz. OH appreciates the activities on the courts as well....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koalakim
Is that the new cafe that's opened up? Looks like some sort of diner...I guess without the beef burgers ! I went past there a few times last trip and didn't remember it being there the year before.

Did she get the house on the beach or did Macca get to keep that...if she is still there it's not far to go to work! Not that I suppose for one moment she works in it!

My fav cafe for a hot summers day is the one at the volleyball courts -with sun, decking and sand you could almost be in Oz. OH appreciates the activities on the courts as well....
I think she did get the beach house and that the cafe is new - there was some programme on a while back that showed her 'working' doing some vegan spiel about how milk is so bad for you but I too seriously doubt that she actually works for a living! Miaow....

There is a lovely fish and chips place which has a restaurant bit overlooking the volleyball court with shade and everything - last time we were there the court was full of Robert Pattison types playing
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Uni of Sussex is east of Brighton at Falmer. When I was doing a course there I used to live in London, go down by train to Brighton and catch the Lewes line to Falmer. Now I would probably choose to live in Lewes and get the train the other way as Lewes is way quieter that Brighton itself. If you want the closest place to the uni, Woodingdean is just at the top of the downs and is a short drive (over the racecourse) from Brighton. Don't think the prices are quite as crazy there, either
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:32 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mbike
Uni of Sussex is east of Brighton at Falmer. When I was doing a course there I used to live in London, go down by train to Brighton and catch the Lewes line to Falmer. Now I would probably choose to live in Lewes and get the train the other way as Lewes is way quieter that Brighton itself. If you want the closest place to the uni, Woodingdean is just at the top of the downs and is a short drive (over the racecourse) from Brighton. Don't think the prices are quite as crazy there, either
Thanks for the info (and to everyone else who has generously helped)
Won't have a car so short drive isn't possible.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks like Heather Mills' cafe has closed!

Families going to the next door park were moaning that they couldn't get burger 'n' chips for the kids and everyone was complaining about the milk in the tea - well according to the Daily Mail!

Seemed an odd place to have a vegan cafe anyway, would have been better off in town.

Woodingdean is a little quiet - but has a good fish and chip shop! There are buses from there into Brighton and probably up to the Uni as you have to go through there to get to the Uni on one route.