Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Suggestions/Advice on Locations to Live in the UK

Suggestions/Advice on Locations to Live in the UK

Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:58 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions/Advice on Locations to Live in the UK

Although working overseas, our UK home base is in North Cheshire. We are a 1 hr drive from Birmingham so I would guess a one and half/two hour drive from Warwickshire.

Cheshire house prices can also be quite expensive, but in parts (Northwich/Middlewich/leftwich/Sandbach etc) it is close to the motorway network and rail network. Many parts of Cheshire, however are quite remote and isolated, so you would need to research carefully.

Chester and surrounding areas are nice, but possibly too far from Warwickshire.

There are places in mid/South Cheshire which are only 15 miles apart, but because of the type of roads, can take half an hour or more to get to.

If you were to go to Cheshire I would advise somewhere within a 5 mile radius of where the M6 intersects with the M56 (junction 21 I think?). This would give you easy access to Chester, Liverpool, Manchester plus direct(ish) access to Birmingham and Warwickshire. It would also link quite nicely with North Wales, west Yorkshire and the Lake District for country walks.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good, thanks... i will research the areas a bit.

I will be staying with Family at first, but will need to tie down a house fairly quickly as i have to kennel my dogs in Thailand until we have the house then get them brought over. I might travel back to the UK for a few weeks in July to start looking at some areas. I'd like to try and get moved In before Christmas (should be doable, yeah?)
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:16 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WolfieThai
Sounds good, thanks... i will research the areas a bit.

I will be staying with Family at first, but will need to tie down a house fairly quickly as i have to kennel my dogs in Thailand until we have the house then get them brought over. I might travel back to the UK for a few weeks in July to start looking at some areas. I'd like to try and get moved In before Christmas (should be doable, yeah?)
If you are talking about buying a house, then it is doable to search/find one in July and have it before Christmas, yes.

From the point of having your offer accepted, it takes around 12 weeks/3months to get the keys/complete the sale. Some solicitors/conveyancers will say they can do it more quickly but you cant bank on that.

We found our current house whilst home for a 2 week break over Easter about 10 years ago. Luckily this was on the very last day of the holiday. We did lots of research prior to coming back for the Easter break.

With the market being quite slow, you can begin looking on Rightmove from now to keep an eye on the market. Nearer the time you can contact estate agents via email to pre-arrange viewings. Being in a first time buyer position, you will have a big advantage and more able to barter over price.

I would err on the side of caution and allow yourself around 3 weeks to do the viewings and don't jump at the first one you see. Will you take your wife with you to look for a house or will you do this solo?

Note of caution - beware of Rightmove - excessive use can become addictive!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

I plan to use sites like Zoopla nad RightMove to get a rough idea of properties then contact Estate Agents directly to see what else they have - given the nature of my situation i will probably have to go back to the UK for a few weeks in June/July on my own and start looking - communicate with my wife via the internet and show her the photos etc... its not ideal but might save us some time.

I did plan to find a bunch of places we like, put down offers on them all and let them know the first one to exchange contracts gets my money I have a very close dear friend whom i might be able to give 'Power of Attorney' to help with pushing all the paperwork etc through, allowing me to return to Thailand and continue preparing things this end. It is quite daunting!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice, We have looked very closely at the visa rules and we believe that we should be in a position to satisfy the financial requirements and still get a house, we both intend to work so hopefully the joint income will be enough to cover the renewal of her visa.

My only dilemma is whether to use some of the money we need for the visa application on the house or just bank/save it for a few years and have that to fall back on later... but that will depend entirely on the cost of the house etc.

My wife is pretty westernised, having lived and studied abroad quite a lot, shes also the one keen to move the the UK, we are both fairly private kinds of people who socalise occasionally, so whilst its something to consider, i am not overly worried about multi-cultural vs white environments.

The real key for me will be somewhere commutable to a city/big town, if i decide to bring my IT skills upto date and seek employment in an office, having a fairly straight-forward commute would be a bonus.

I would prefer to be within 1-2hrs drive of Warwickshire to make it easier to get to see close friends and family, but far enough away to make it something we plan instead of just 'popping round for a cuppa' - like i said we are fairly private kind of people and whilst i love my friends and family dearly, its like to be an 'arms length' away.

South of Nottingham seems to have a good reputation, Beeston and Long Eaton side - also has easy access to the M1 and Derby, Nottingham for work, a preliminary search a few days back showed a fairly healthy job market in that area. Cheshire area also sounds interesting as it would have fairly straightforward access to Manchester and Liverpool, but that in itself is also a concern (crime, accents etc)

I have considered places such as Scotland (and also southern Ireland, Wales etc) and whilst the environment seems lovely (rural, hills, woods, forests etc) i am concerned about employment opportunities. I have enough cash to live on for a period of time but not forever!

Thanks for the advice, and keep those suggestions coming. Its really very helpful and enlightening getting other peoples perspectives and points of view on locations

If you're considering Nottingham I wouldn't think the crime levels in Liverpool or Manchester would be any worse (I suspect they might be better).

Last edited by Almo; Apr 26th 2013 at 10:08 am.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

I'm a little out of touch with things like crime rates etc, so have to rely on internet information. I know all cities/areas have their good spots and bad spots - so its a case of trying to get some 'local knowledge' on which areas/suburbs are better than others
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little out of touch with things like crime rates etc, so have to rely on internet information. I know all cities/areas have their good spots and bad spots - so its a case of trying to get some 'local knowledge' on which areas/suburbs are better than others
Go into police.uk and take a gander at Nottingham as a whole and by area, or anywhere else for that matter. You can find the nature of crime there on a monthly basis.

BTW, I agree with holly on the score that Hoylake is a lovely spot to live and access to the Midlands is not bad either.

Also, in the Midlands and near Stratford-upon-Avon, I've been pointed to the area around Honeybourne / Pebworth which looks very attractive, with a good supply of decent property and on the rail line to London, via the Cotswolds.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:03 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Go into police.uk and take a gander at Nottingham as a whole and by area, or anywhere else for that matter. You can find the nature of crime there on a monthly basis.

BTW, I agree with holly on the score that Hoylake is a lovely spot to live and access to the Midlands is not bad either.

Also, in the Midlands and near Stratford-upon-Avon, I've been pointed to the area around Honeybourne / Pebworth which looks very attractive, with a good supply of decent property and on the rail line to London, via the Cotswolds.
I have to say, having lived in a large city in UK before living in the Middle East (which ironically is a lot more peaceful and secure in lots of ways than let's say..... Nottingham or other similar areas of UK), security and peace of mind are going to be my number one priority in choosing where to live on return to UK.

I really think that, if you are fortunate enough to have the choice, peace of mind is paramount in the long term.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I have to say, having lived in a large city in UK before living in the Middle East (which ironically is a lot more peaceful and secure in lots of ways than let's say..... Nottingham or other similar areas of UK), security and peace of mind are going to be my number one priority in choosing where to live on return to UK.

I really think that, if you are fortunate enough to have the choice, peace of mind is paramount in the long term.
I do agree, but the problem when trying to assess this issue, apart from the fact that the "prize-winning" towns across the land in terms of quality of life ratings all address the issue of crime and therefore should be considered, is that the biggest count item in crime stats is ASBOs and it is really hard, in my view, to work out how this is likely to affect our ability to enjoy security and peace of mind.

Living well away from pubs is certainly a big help in this regard and correctly identifying tough neighbourhoods is another.

As I spotted elsewhere on BE today, towns such as Oldham are simply no go as a place to head to, in particular because of another current UK big issue - racial tension and strife.

Those looking to return to the UK and who need to enter at the bargain basement will find the trade-offs between cheap housing and quality of life hard in areas where the cheapness is driven by existing high unemployment with zero prospects of change, meaning that the neighbourhoods are seething masses of extremely disenchanted folks, to the extent that they (presumably) object to those zero prospects and living off welfare of course.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 26th 2013 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Those looking to return to the UK......
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:12 pm
Banned

myGlobalParcel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holly_1948
If you have family in Warwick, I would have doubts about being on the far side of London.
Cheshire or South Wales would be better for weekend visits. Hereford and Hay-on-wye are gorgeous places if earning a living is not a problem. All a lot cheaper than TWells.
I completely agree with the back that South Wales is better for weekend visits, had some great time there!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I do agree, but the problem when trying to assess this issue, apart from the fact that the "prize-winning" towns across the land in terms of quality of life ratings all address the issue of crime and therefore should be considered, is that the biggest count item in crime stats is ASBOs and it is really hard, in my view, to work out how this is likely to affect our ability to enjoy security and peace of mind.

Living well away from pubs is certainly a big help in this regard and correctly identifying tough neighbourhoods is another.

As I spotted elsewhere on BE today, towns such as Oldham are simply no go as a place to head to, in particular because of another current UK big issue - racial tension and strife.

Those looking to return to the UK and who need to enter at the bargain basement will find the trade-offs between cheap housing and quality of life hard in areas where the cheapness is driven by existing high unemployment with zero prospects of change, meaning that the neighbourhoods are seething masses of extremely disenchanted folks, to the extent that they (presumably) object to those zero prospects and living off welfare of course.
Yes, crime stats are important and should form part of any returnee's research. Stats (of any sort) need to be interpreted carefully though and of course different types of crime are likely to be tolerable to different degrees.

There's clearly a baseline of safety one needs but personally, I'm much more comfortable in an urban environment than a rural one. I feel vulnerable and really quite uneasy in isolated rural properties. For me, an increase of n% in the crime stats would be worth it to live somewhere I feel comfortable, even if the stats don't bear out my little foibles.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:11 am
Just Joined

smithuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well i think you should have to come in burnley.. because i also in burnley it's beautiful city.. i can provide you help about immigration
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

OK, so its looks like we are more-or-less decided on Nottingham, looking towards the South-South/west of the city - Been recommended to look at Wollaton, West Bridgford, Sandiacres and Beeston kind of areas.

Does anyone know these areas at all? I'm looking over the police website now to get an idea of crime etc, but i'm told they are nice enough areas, property is not overly expensive and i can get a house to my specs for within budget (according to internet research/property sites)

Some nice parks and stuff in that area, stones throw from Warwickshire (family location) and also not too far from places such as the peak district etc - the general area seems ok, but interested in opinions from other BE members who might know these areas.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hello Everyone!

Well it looks like its time for me to return to the homeland after some 12 years away working in Thailand......

Having been away from the UK for so long, i feel a bit unsure how relevant my old knowledge of the country will still be, so any advice, tips or suggestions would be awesome!

I lived in Malvern, Worcestershire for a while which I liked. It is centrally placed in England and, for work, using the M5, you can access the West Midlands and Bristol areas. The Bristol area has some of the lowest unemployment in the country. Nice countryside and plenty of places to go from there. Also, as it is sheltered by the hills, it always seems to be around 4 or 5 degrees warmer than many parts of the country.

Otherwise, deciding where to live is very subjective and not an easy decision for many of us returning to make.

Last edited by johnh009; May 2nd 2013 at 8:40 am.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnh009
I lived in Malvern, Worcestershire for a while which I liked. It is centrally placed in England and, for work, using the M5, you can access the West Midlands and Bristol areas. The Bristol area has some of the lowest unemployment in the country. Nice countryside and plenty of places to go from there. Also, as it is sheltered by the hills, it always seems to be around 4 or 5 degrees warmer than many parts of the country.

Otherwise, deciding where to live is very subjective and not an easy decision for many of us returning to make.
Thanks, yeah i know there are too many factors for a forum like this to give accurate information, hence i'm looking for general opinions of areas/locations

Appreciate you taking the time to write a reply, i considered the Malverns but decided it wasnt good for commuting to work, i guess i could look again and see if its workable or not.