British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Suffolk & Norfolk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/suffolk-norfolk-774599/)

Angliandreamer Oct 14th 2012 3:45 pm

Suffolk & Norfolk

One day 'soon' I'd love to move back to England :thumbsup:. The two counties I dream of spending the rest of my life are Norfolk and Suffolk. But not sure which one as both seem to be as good as each other.

Spent many years (decades) visiting East Anglia and each time I go I just seem to keep finding nice villages and towns that just hit the nail on the head :eek:
eg;
Bungay.
Stradbroke.
Thorpe Abbotts
Shipdam and many more !

Does anybody here know of a town or area in Norfolk Suffolk which they have a passion about.

Could just be the euphoria of being in East Anglia so it would be good to know an other view on Anglian life !

Thank you

Pistolpete2 Oct 14th 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Suffolk & Norfolk

Originally Posted by Angliandreamer (Post 10330402)
One day 'soon' I'd love to move back to England :thumbsup:. The two counties I dream of spending the rest of my life are Norfolk and Suffolk. But not sure which one as both seem to be as good as each other.

Spent many years (decades) visiting East Anglia and each time I go I just seem to keep finding nice villages and towns that just hit the nail on the head :eek:
eg;
Bungay.
Stradbroke.
Thorpe Abbotts
Shipdam and many more !

Does anybody here know of a town or area in Norfolk Suffolk which they have a passion about.

Could just be the euphoria of being in East Anglia so it would be good to know an other view on Anglian life !

Thank you

Will you be working and therefore traveling to work or will you be retired?

CEM Oct 14th 2012 4:03 pm

North of Norwich is my favourite market town, Reepham. It's a lovely place. We lived there for a year or so and I'd be really happy to go back someday.

Angliandreamer Oct 14th 2012 4:13 pm

Hi and thanks for reply.

I'll be working and I have a family. But working for myself. Travel not really a problem for me but could be for wife :D.

Schools would be important as we have a little one, although not important at the moment it will be later !

I've not yet been to Reepham but heard about it. Good excuse for a visit next time I'm over :).

Thanks again.

CEM Oct 14th 2012 4:28 pm

Reepham could well be for you then. Excellent high school. Lots of my friends have children there (one has just taken their son out of private school to go there) and they're all doing very well. It opened a sixth form a couple of years ago too.
We lived there when our older two were very young. It's a very family orientated town with lots of amenities and has a music festival, which is growing each year. We were the this year!
There are lots of lovely places though, as you know. I love Norfolk and have lived there most of my adult life (we're doing a four/five year stint in Northumberland at the moment, but we will go back definitely).

Angliandreamer Oct 14th 2012 5:09 pm

Sounds like a nice place and is in a nice part of Norfolk too.
Not too close nor too far from Norwich. Nice to hear it has good schools and is a family town.
Yes there are a lot of places to choose from but its is always good to hear from others first hand about a particular town or village.

Thank you.

J.JsOH Oct 19th 2012 1:49 pm

I have spent many years in West Norfolk and I really like the countryside and coast.

While King's Lynn has rail connections to Cambridge etc and is 1 hour drive west of Norwich for access to Midlands I do not like King's Lynn itself.
I do like Norwich.
I recently had a brief visit to Bungay, Suffolk, south of Norwich and formed a good impression.

The Norfolk coast and inland of it can be plagued by weekend visitors and 2nd home owners. In my opinion villages have been spoilt by these weekend crowds flocking in, changing the feel of a place and pushing up prices with celebrity chef's and their acolytes.

Angliandreamer Oct 19th 2012 5:35 pm

Hi J.JsOH

I would agree about Kings Lynn sadly. I've been a couple of times.
I've tried to like it and found the centre pleasant. But something about it I can't put my finger on which casts a shadow on my feelings! But looks like a nice town.
And as I only spent a short time there I couldn't form a true impression of the whole place.

I like the feeling of Bungay and neighbouring Flixton. In fact that whole area around the Suffolk,Norfolk boarder is very pleasant.

Shame about the second home owners and the price of properties going up. Not a bad thing if you want to sell and move out. But I want to move in....maybe buy one of these second homes and show it full time life instead of part time living :).

Thanks J.JsOH

rugbymatt Oct 19th 2012 5:56 pm

Norfolk is FAR better than Suffolk! Just saying....

brightonbelle Oct 19th 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 10339538)
Norfolk is FAR better than Suffolk! Just saying....

I live in Suffolk, and I agree!. Can't think of any place I would recommend.

West Norfolk...wouldnt move there if you paid me. Nor Felixstowe or Great Yarmouth
Norwich and areas between city and the coast ...I would!

As my title says...nothing beats Sussex :thumbsup:

Ty

rugbymatt Oct 19th 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by brightonbelle (Post 10339807)
I live in Suffolk, and I agree!. Can't think of any place I would recommend.

West Norfolk...wouldnt move there if you paid me. Nor Felixstowe or Great Yarmouth
Norwich and areas between city and the coast ...I would!

As my title says...nothing beats Sussex :thumbsup:

Ty

Sussex is stunning, you know, aside form the toss pots from London, and obviously West is Best...... Agree about West Norfolk though, some proper freaks out that way, webbed toes and everything! North Norfolk is where its at!

Piff Poff Oct 19th 2012 9:37 pm

I spent a fantastic year or two in Norwich, just loved Norfolk in general. Norfolk/Suffolk would be on my list of possible places to return too. (Having a bit of a recce next year if all goes to plan):fingerscrossed:

feelbritish Oct 19th 2012 9:50 pm

I liked Suffolk and Norfolk as well,and house prices are very reasonable still compared to the Home Counties. Wind worries me there and the flatness of it all and of course flooding in the future!

rugbymatt Oct 19th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10339881)
I liked Suffolk and Norfolk as well,and house prices are very reasonable still compared to the Home Counties. Wind worries me there and the flatness of it all and of course flooding in the future!

By the time it floods in the Angles you and your children's children will be dead!

feelbritish Oct 19th 2012 10:55 pm

:lol:

There are some nice spots in the middle of Norfolk around Plumstead. Nice canals