Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sucessful return back to UK?

Sucessful return back to UK?

Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sucessful return back to UK?

For me there was no question of 6 months rent in advance - I rent from a housingng association. A months rent payable monthly in advance. No deposit. No advance.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scot47
For me there was no question of 6 months rent in advance - I rent from a housingng association. A months rent payable monthly in advance. No deposit. No advance.
Hi,
What exactly is a housing association? A months rent sounds ideal but how do I know if I will be able to rent from a housing association after living in US for most of my life (I am a Brit citizen) but left as a child with my parents. Thanks for the response
Brigette
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisHT
We too are taking our dog so found your previous post regarding Jetpets useful as we are in Tauranga also. How did you find the process of opening Bank Acct etc & i see you bought a property in a short time frame, do you mind if i ask how you also found getting mortgage etc as i have heard that you may not be eligble for upto 6 months....?Sorry for all the questions but like you say, i found the move to NZ relatively "easy" compared to the return!
We kept our UK bank account open for all the time we were in NZ.

As for buying the house .. we were extremely lucky with the price we got for our NZ house and the exchange rate we got on our return. This meant we didn't need a mortgage.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Brigette asks , "What is a Housing Association ?" I will let Wikipedia give an answer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_association

The old rules about having a local connection etc are no longer valid. Housing Associations are free to set their own criteria for letting. In the are where I live, there is a surplus of accommodation. Join me on my island !
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

kimka058 is an unknown quantity at this point

Am really interested in any advice people have for getting organised to go back to the UK or practical advice for the things to do to get settled in once there. We have a year before we are headed back, so lots of time to get things done.