Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question re. banking!

Wikiposts

Stupid Question re. banking!

Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:18 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Question re. banking!

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The bank cashier is correct.

Most rewards schemes only give you points when you use your card as a credit card i.e. you sign a piece of paper and give you no points when you use it as a debit card i.e. put in a PIN.

So no big deal to you, you usually sign a piece of paper at restaurants so you get points then and if you want to go through the hassle of signing at the grocery do so and rack up those points.

Here's the rub, the banks make more money from credit merchant fees (usually a percentage) compared to debit fees (usually a flat fee).
So, I am losing nothing financially by clicking credit and signing as they make money from the transaction fees they charge the stores? Have I got that right? I can't actually be using this card as a credit card as that was a different application and as I said, I haven't received that yet.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
So, I am losing nothing financially by clicking credit and signing as they make money from the transaction fees they charge the stores? Have I got that right? I can't actually be using this card as a credit card as that was a different application and as I said, I haven't received that yet.
Other than time no, though one could theorize that in the long run the merchant might have to raise prices to cover credit card fees.

The card is primarily a debit card but can be processed as a credit card, the money still disappears from your account directly either way.

The consumer protections for credit card use is stronger in some respects.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My debit card can be used either way, debit or credit. The money all comes out of the same place debit it goes immediately and credit it usually takes a day or so. But it doesn't cost me anything. Debit I need the PIN credit I have to sign.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Check the terms of your account. My debit card rewards program gives me 1 point for every $6 spent if I use the debit option and 2 points per $1 if I use the credit option. The only other difference is the charges take a couple of days longer to post when using credit but I still have to have the money in the account in order for it to be approved.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
My debit card can be used either way, debit or credit. The money all comes out of the same place debit it goes immediately and credit it usually takes a day or so. But it doesn't cost me anything. Debit I need the PIN credit I have to sign.
Exactly. Every card I've ever used to access my bank account has had the capability to be used either as a debit (entering the PIN) or as credit - all transactions always come straight from our checking account. I've always read that using it as a credit gives better buyer protection in case an item needs returned. We just opened a new bank account today at US Bank, and we were told that our new card will gives us extra points if we use it as a credit card, instead of as a debit.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Exactly. Every card I've ever used to access my bank account has had the capability to be used either as a debit (entering the PIN) or as credit - all transactions always come straight from our checking account. I've always read that using it as a credit gives better buyer protection in case an item needs returned. We just opened a new bank account today at US Bank, and we were told that our new card will gives us extra points if we use it as a credit card, instead of as a debit.
Here, a lot of stores do not give you a choice because they do not have the pin reading terminal. The only way they can process a debit card payment is by treating it like a credit card & you get to sign the slip. The store saves on not buying/renting the hardware (presumably), but has to pay more for the transaction.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really confused now. I use my debit card for debits and my credit card for credit.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm really confused now. I use my debit card for debits and my credit card for credit.
That's exactly what I do.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just think of it as a processing route. Selecting debit when swiping the card goes down route 1, selecting credit goes down route 2. You can do either with either type of card depending on the system used to swipe and process the card. With a debit card the debit option is kind of like a wire transfer, the money in your account is immediately marked for transfer and then goes through the transfer process. The credit option is kind of like an IOU, a request gets sent to your bank and it will post in a day or so, possibly more. With a credit card running it through as a debit card will process as a cash withdrawal, that's not a good thing to do.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:14 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just think of it as a processing route. Selecting debit when swiping the card goes down route 1, selecting credit goes down route 2. You can do either with either type of card depending on the system used to swipe and process the card. With a debit card the debit option is kind of like a wire transfer, the money in your account is immediately marked for transfer and then goes through the transfer process. The credit option is kind of like an IOU, a request gets sent to your bank and it will post in a day or so, possibly more. With a credit card running it through as a debit card will process as a cash withdrawal, that's not a good thing to do.
Brilliant, now I understand totally! What do points make....prizes! (I bet after all this I find that the points on this account are actually a load of tripe)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly clearer but I don't see how the debit card would give you points - is it part of the same scheme?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Slightly clearer but I don't see how the debit card would give you points - is it part of the same scheme?
Depends on your bank, lots offer some sort of reward point program, same as some credit cards. For instance, this is mine. It's not great but hey. https://www.key.com/html/debit-card-rewards.html
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Depends on your bank, lots offer some sort of reward point program, same as some credit cards. For instance, this is mine. It's not great but hey. https://www.key.com/html/debit-card-rewards.html
Thanks for that. I'll add it to the huge list of things I should be doing to get better vaue
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
"Debit" removes the money from your bank account immediately. "Credit" does not. If your bank card is debit only, I suspect all that would happen if you picked "Credit" is that the charge would be denied. Don't use "Credit" until you have a real credit card.
Naaa...it works the same way on a debit card, difference is, Visa offer a points system on debit cards but you only get the points if you run the card as credit and sign for it instead of as a debit card.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
...(I bet after all this I find that the points on this account are actually a load of tripe)
Depends on the bank...some of the stuff I can claim can be really awesome, but I never bother as I finally get enough points for something, I'll see something else a little bit better to get for a few more points

Almost got the kidlet a wooden kitchen toy set, but then we were moving and the thought of having to deal with it gave me shivers...working towards something else now, she missed her chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.