Studying in the UK

Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in the UK

Hello!

I'm currently finishing up my education in France (it will end in ~May 2018) and was wondering what the process was to then study in the UK? Is it the same UCAS as people living in Britain?
My only passport and nationality are British, and I'm a native speaker as it's my mother tongue. Don't know if that factors in.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in the UK

Yes it's the same UCAS.

However, since you currently live abroad you may have to pay foreign student fees. (to pay home fees one needs to have lived in the UK for three years prior to application)
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Branded a foreigner here and branded a foreigner there, eh?

What's the difference in fees?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OkUK

Depends on the college. Once you start looking at specific colleges then research their fees.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

I'd say my choices are, in order, Oxbridge, Imperial College, Durham, York and Kent(or some other 'backup').
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Also, when should I apply? Start of 2018?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:11 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

International fees do not usually apply to EU citizens - including British passport holders - living in the EU.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What qualifications are you studying towards in France?
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Bac S - Svt
Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Bac S - Svt
Hi, maybe you should specify for those who might not know, that the Bac S is predominantly a Scientific Bac, and Svt is basically Biology.
Bonne chance!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say my choices are, in order, Oxbridge, Imperial College, Durham, York and Kent(or some other 'backup').
Bac S - Svt
"International Baccalaureate
Students of the International Baccalaureate are usually required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s and 7s in the higher-level subjects."

....from the Oxford University admissions page. I don't know what that actually means since I don't know the "scoring" mechanism for the Bac, but that's something you might need to know.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
"International Baccalaureate
Students of the International Baccalaureate are usually required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s and 7s in the higher-level subjects."

....from the Oxford University admissions page. I don't know what that actually means since I don't know the "scoring" mechanism for the Bac, but that's something you might need to know.

A minimum of 16/20 (Mention "Très Bien") appears to be necessary for admission to Oxford. The OP should check the other "élite" Unis' requirements and aim to get the corresponding Bac result!!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Those resident in a EU State can study at a Scottish University on the same basis as those resident in Scotland (ie no fees). This does not apply to those resident in England, Wales or NI.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 29th 2016 at 11:32 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Out of the ones I mentioned the scores required are roughly 16, 15, 15, 13 and 11.anything under 10 is a failed Bac here.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:10 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I went through all this when my daughter was studying for her BacS option International in Toulouse. We ended moving to the US but anyway here goes...

You apply to the british universities via UCAS. If you are hoping to go in September 2016 I think you may already be too late -check the dates.

You will pay the same fees as UK nationals - this is what happens. After you are accepted the UK government will pay your tuition fees to the University that you will be attending. You will start repaying the tuition fees once you start working and earning over about £21,000. If you are working in the UK, it will be deducted from your salary automatically. if you are outside the UK, then you will make arrangements to pay it. UK University fees are £9-£10k per year. You will also need money to live on and you should budget about £10k for this, more in London.

The top universities will expect you to be getting 16/20 and 14/20 will get you into Russell Group (Bristol, Durham, Exeter etc).

We know plenty of kids who went from Bac option international to the UK very successfully. The application is straightforward enough.
Have you considered Canada? If you can get french citizenship, then that is also a very good option for you.

Keep asking questions! We are here to help.

Your next step will be to go to UCAS site to look at application deadlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.