Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Students in the UK - are they really like this everywhere?

Students in the UK - are they really like this everywhere?

Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Students in the UK - are they really like this everywhere?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I can only go on my own experience (which is limited to mostly the Southeast USA, which is a little different). They turn up (on time), say Sir and Ma'am, hand in their assignments on time, and if they fail usually recognize that it was their own fault.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely had my "problem children" in the US, but they were few and far between.

Perhaps it's an age thing. In the US, being 50 didn't seem to create a gap between the students and myself. Here, I definitely feel like I'm viewed as a bit of an old fogey. And subsequently, I'm starting to FEEL like a bit of an old fogey.

Obviously, the US is a big place and I'm sure there are plenty of bad students somewhere in the US, it's just I didn't see many of them (and I wasn't at an Ivy league school or anything).
Where I went to university, close to St. Louis, I found that there was a mixed bag of students. I was in the program to become an Elementary Education teacher. I can only give my perspective as a mature student.

Now, there was a difference in attitude between us older students and the younger ones in general. Not to say that some of them were not working hard and wanting good grades, but there was a distinct lack of effort, especially from the young males when it came to work. Most noticeable in group work, they for some odd reason thought that us older students would do most of the work and quite expected that of us. Behaving badly wasn't really an issue, just pure laziness, as these young males knew that they were going to get hired without a problem, and why should they bother their asses to work for a degree that they were going to get with minimal effort.

So, I did not come across the poor behaviour that you are talking of, just pure and simple laziness. But, that may be inherent in the society where I live, where schools will hire ANY young guy to teach as they think it is a great asset to the schools. In my opinion, the majority of males in my program were lazy little f@#*s to say the least................
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I realize I sound like I am just bitching and moaning and yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I've just lost the hitch in my giddyup lately and I have to let off steam somehow.

I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things sooner or later, I just don't like the way I feel about teaching right now. Last time I felt this way was when I was on teaching practice as a novice student in the late 70's and some of the kids I had to teach were right b*st*rds.

And Grayling, I hear what you say about students wanting to succeed and I know that some (many) of them face huge pressures and mental health problems. It's been quite an eye-opener to see the number of my teaching colleagues who are also under heaps of stress and suffering mental health problems.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's been quite an eye-opener to see the number of my teaching colleagues who are also under heaps of stress and suffering mental health problems.
I would not dispute that either.

In my past life I also saw many of them professionally as well......but that is not unique to the UK.

G
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I would not dispute that either.

In my past life I also saw many of them professionally as well......but that is not unique to the UK.

G
I agree, it is definitely not unique to the UK. Plenty in the US too.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am a final year student at Uni, (mature student) and have never come across this sort of behavior in five years, though i think our lecturers would have kicked out such students from the class and refused to let them back in. However, my wife is also a student at another Uni in the city (ex poly) and she complains about this sort of thing a lot. I couldnt figure out why the difference but then when i met some of the "students" from her class i could see the issue. The reality is that there are a lot of students who should not be there. They dont have the ability and are only there because these days all parents expect their children to go to Uni
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:33 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I realize I sound like I am just bitching and moaning and yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I've just lost the hitch in my giddyup lately and I have to let off steam somehow.

I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things sooner or later, I just don't like the way I feel about teaching right now. Last time I felt this way was when I was on teaching practice as a novice student in the late 70's and some of the kids I had to teach were right b*st*rds.

And Grayling, I hear what you say about students wanting to succeed and I know that some (many) of them face huge pressures and mental health problems. It's been quite an eye-opener to see the number of my teaching colleagues who are also under heaps of stress and suffering mental health problems.
I'm sure everywhere has it's good and bad and perhaps you're experiencing the bad.....however...

My daughter is a freshman here in PA and all her old classmates from school in the UK are now also in their first year at UK Uni.
She notices a difference in attitude and is amazed that they want to behave the way they do.
Some of the things you have described are things that they have told her they do...and think are funny.... like making phone calls in class.
Perhaps it may be to do with cost. She knows how much we are paying and how hard it is and so she wants to do well.

But both of my older daughters noticed it at high school level as well. Here the vast majority are very well motivated and wouldn't dream of messing around and that was a very different attitude to their UK schools.
The teenagers I meet here are much more confident and well informed.

The down side is ..I quite like a bit of spirit and I sometimes feel some of the US teens are very middle aged already.

Disclaimer......I am only comparing my areas here and in the UK and my children and their friends back home so I know it is hardly an international study.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:12 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically, I was in Wales for 6 months and although it didn't work out great for other reasons (mostly salary way too low), the students there were not too bad. It was an allied health department (nurses, speech and language therapy, social work), and many of the students were nontraditional (older, in full-time or P-T employment).

I think part of it may be that Scottish students are a year younger, and so are just lacking in maturity.
Um...are you Scottish? <ducks and runs>. I just remember being given a hard time when I had to go up to Glasgow and train some people...FWIW I did a second degree here in Canada and was horrified at the same type of behaviour you describe in the Canadian classes. The only lecturer anyone listened to...was a scary expat HK Brit, who would not put up with ill-mannered morons who passed for undergrads. He ripped into a bimbo texting someone on the first class and booted about 40% of the students for being too thick within the first few weeks. Let's just say you can tell they pay for their education here, and so acquire certain rights that are not related in any way to academic ability.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:09 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm sure everywhere has it's good and bad and perhaps you're experiencing the bad.....however...

My daughter is a freshman here in PA and all her old classmates from school in the UK are now also in their first year at UK Uni.
She notices a difference in attitude and is amazed that they want to behave the way they do.
Some of the things you have described are things that they have told her they do...and think are funny.... like making phone calls in class.
Perhaps it may be to do with cost. She knows how much we are paying and how hard it is and so she wants to do well.

But both of my older daughters noticed it at high school level as well. Here the vast majority are very well motivated and wouldn't dream of messing around and that was a very different attitude to their UK schools.
The teenagers I meet here are much more confident and well informed.

The down side is ..I quite like a bit of spirit and I sometimes feel some of the US teens are very middle aged already.

Disclaimer......I am only comparing my areas here and in the UK and my children and their friends back home so I know it is hardly an international study.
This is what my daughter said too when she visited her cousin's school in the UK for a few days, compared to her high school on LI. She was disgusted at how the teachers were treated by the students and said it would never happen in her school. If a student misbehaved in such a way they would be sent down to the principle without hesitation. she noticed how the teachers rarely received respect in the UK school and they were just not listened to.

I have only taught in US colleges and I must say the two I have taught in I have generally had very well behaved students with the majority wanting to learn and do better for themselves. Very much how Dunroving describes them - like to laugh and have fun but don't disrespect the teacher no matter how bored the student is.

some of the differences, Dunroving, could have to do with the general attitude of the two countries - there is very much this idea that a college education is the most important thing to a person in the US. That you cannot be successful without one. That attending college shows your desire to learn and do better for yourself. And having 50, 60, 70, even 80 year olds attending university lectures is a common sight on a US campus where we are. And these people already have advanced degrees.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The points made by those with students in the Canadian and American systems are spot on:

we pay a hell of a lot of money for university
if a kid drops out, they know they have very little career future.

IIRC in Scotland the first degree is free, and there are still jobs available for those who do not go to university. Unions and strong trade guilds/associations are still very prominent in the UK and practically non-existent in the US.

Most American students who failed out of university would also have to go home and live with mom and dad.... that was incentive enough for me to hit the books!

But the one main cultural difference is that British kids simply don't unconditionally respect their elders. I was assisting in my second grader (aged eight)'s class in PE and the coach is probably about 60 and spry. The kids obeyed both the coach and myself, making eye contact to check that they had done things correctly. My high schooler stands up for the teacher if one of her fellow students gets a bit uppity. There's still plenty of room for play and creativity; the teachers aren't ogres. But they do demand respect and the parents back them.

Yes, there are disrepectful American teens, but just not in the numbers and outright disobedience that I've seen in many British teens.

For example: a rule in a uni classroom could be that the mobiles stay in pockets/rucksacks in class, turned off. If a mobile rings, or worse, someone carries on a conversation -- instant dismissal from the classroom and demerits/bad marks. This is fully possible in the US. Would it be possible in the UK?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:20 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

And yes, I agree with you, it is time I cleared off. Just as soon as I can get a job and a visa.

Top idea
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I know this is MBTTUK and we're only supposed to say positive things about the home country, but I have to have one of my occasional rants. HEALTH WARNING: Stop reading now if you are easily offended by any criticism of the UK.

I stopped my first year lecture today after about 30 minutes, because several students in the class were CONSTANTLY talking. Every time I gave them "the look", they would stop, and the second I looked away, they would start again. I absolutely ripped into them about mutual respect, expectations, etc., and I honestly feel like, other than the shock of seeing me clearly p*ssed off, it was like water off a duck's back.

Besides the constant chatterng, some of the students were passing newspapers around under the desk. In an earlier class (third years) one student was actually making a phone call during class! A guest lecturer had been talking about interviewing techniques, and the class were in groups practising interviewing each other, so this girl took the opportunity of a little hubbub going on to actually make a phone call!

Since coming back from the US, I feel like I have ended my career as I know it. Without bragging, I received three different teaching awards at my last place in the US, but currently I just can not find "the answer" to engaging UK students. Attendance is regularly around 75% (which, I am told is apparently GOOD!), students regularly roll in late, they won't talk up when you want them to (i.e., when you ask them a question), and they are constantly twittering when they are supposed to be paying attention. The "stories" I tell to illustrate things (which US students would find amusing, interesting and informative) seem to elicit looks that say "What the ***** is he going on about now?"

GAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!! Please, someone shoot me and put me out of my misery! If I didn't have a ridiculously high mortgage to pay each month, I feel like I'd resign tomorrow. I just can't take the idea that after 6 years of grad school and 10 years in jobs I have absolutely loved, I now sometimes detest the idea of walking into a classroom. If I don't get out of here and back to the States, I feel like I will slowly go mad, or just wither away into one of these pathetic teachers who sits in his office grumbling about the students.

Has UK higher education really come to this, or am I missing something?

I was thinking of this thread today while I was sitting through yet another lecture where students were incessantly chatting. It is soooo annoying. Thankfully the lecturer did pull them up on it, but most of them don't. Given these students are adults and are paying for their education you'd think they'd actually want to make the most of it. Or am I just getting old?!!!!

What surprises me is that these are Psych students!! I would have thought anyone studying psych would have had a bit of sensitivity and nous about appropriate behaviour

Interestingly while waiting for coffee I got chatting to a professor who had come over from Canterbury and I asked him if he found a difference between UK students and Aus students. He said that the Aus students tend to do the minimum amount of work possible in order to pass because they are simply doing the degree in order to get the job they need a degree for! He said "there's nothing wrong with that, it woudl just be nice to have at least some students who were just genuinely interested in the subject and learning".

A long winded way of saying these slack students are everywhere!
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rabsody
What surprises me is that these are Psych students!! I would have thought anyone studying psych would have had a bit of sensitivity and nous about appropriate behaviour

A long winded way of saying these slack students are everywhere!
I agree wtih you Rabsody - seems like it is a universal phenomenon. I am also a Psych student and it is sooooo annoying when you are trying to listen to a lecture about the funtion of the brain and all you can here is chatting.
Old May 5th 2008, 1:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

No, I can definitely put my hand on my heart and say this is not just me rationalizing the desire to leave ... I've been teaching since 1977 and so I have a lot of experience to compare to.

I was chatting with one of our PhD students earlier (he taught a guest lecture with me in someone else's class this afternoon). he did his undergrad degree at another local university and he actually said he sees a big difference between what he saw at his undergrad institution (I won't use names) and where I am.

Ironically, I was in Wales for 6 months and although it didn't work out great for other reasons (mostly salary way too low), the students there were not too bad. It was an allied health department (nurses, speech and language therapy, social work), and many of the students were nontraditional (older, in full-time or P-T employment).

I think part of it may be that Scottish students are a year younger, and so are just lacking in maturity.

And yes, I agree with you, it is time I cleared off. Just as soon as I can get a job and a visa.
"Rationalising" with a 'z'. Tut, tut....
Old May 5th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
"Rationalising" with a 'z'. Tut, tut....
Well he did spend a loooong time in the States so we'll let him off
Old May 5th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by debsy
I agree wtih you Rabsody - seems like it is a universal phenomenon. I am also a Psych student and it is sooooo annoying when you are trying to listen to a lecture about the funtion of the brain and all you can here is chatting.
It's terrible isn't it. Last week I had to move as I just couldn't concentrate!!! I'm a cranky old bag though, I get really wound up by that sort of thing so I make a rod for my own back! I really want to say 'Shut The F*** Up You Little Shit!' apparently it gets better once you get to second year classes (this is a first year one).

How far in are you in your degree Debsy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.