Student Finance in the UK

Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Finance in the UK

Having decided that I am completely incompatible with American women, and because I really, really miss my family, I am in the process of making the decision to move back to the green and pleasant land.

One of my options, and something I really considered before I left, is to pursue a law degree. I have however discovered that student finance is not available to people who have not lived in the UK for the last three years. This is, to say the least, irritating.

I did discover however that there is some discretion in this, and that the rule exists to stop the likes of me arriving, collecting various shiny things from the British Government, and then wandering off back to some other country without paying them back. The nice lady on the phone said that if I get there, complete some sort of work and basically show willing and demonstrate a desire to stay and put the degree to use, then there is some chance.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or are they, as my American friends put it, blowing smoke up my arse?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Finance in the UK

Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Having decided that I am completely incompatible with American women, and because I really, really miss my family, I am in the process of making the decision to move back to the green and pleasant land.

One of my options, and something I really considered before I left, is to pursue a law degree. I have however discovered that student finance is not available to people who have not lived in the UK for the last three years. This is, to say the least, irritating.

I did discover however that there is some discretion in this, and that the rule exists to stop the likes of me arriving, collecting various shiny things from the British Government, and then wandering off back to some other country without paying them back. The nice lady on the phone said that if I get there, complete some sort of work and basically show willing and demonstrate a desire to stay and put the degree to use, then there is some chance.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or are they, as my American friends put it, blowing smoke up my arse?
You can appeal any decision made, but you have to show that your absence was always going to be temporary, and that you maintained ties to the UK throughout your absence. This is easier said than done....
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is doing a law degree (going very well too).Are you going to live on campus?home?share a house with other students?It can be expensive,especially for parents (lol)I've just forked out a large whack of cash for my daughters law books she needs for the coming year!I hope she looks after me when I'm old!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you realise you will have to pay International Student Fees?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you realise you will have to pay International Student Fees?
still not bad money compared to the US though
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thats true.
What we are paying (for our share of costs) for Ds#1 to attend a good 4 year University in California, we could pay international rates for a UK university.
So it's swings and roundabouts. Either way we pay about the same.
Here part of the $37,000 a year cost is picked up by grants and scholarships thank god.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
True. He's probably aware of the IS fees...just thought I'd mention it just in case.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:54 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

You have probably been saving money for years anticipating that you would one day want to study for a degree - you could always use that.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
You have probably been saving money for years anticipating that you would one day want to study for a degree - you could always use that.
If the money was dumped in that 529 college plan they might as well have pissed it away on drink, drugs and hookers as you can't use it to fund study aboard and it's a huge tax sink if the recipient doesn't go to college or signs up to the armed forces etc....plus having the savings lowers what federal loans you'd be eligble for....so better off not saving for college and just save for retirement, retirement is longer anyway, usually
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 16 months in Oz on a temporary spouse visa then came back to Scotland. Within a year of returning I wanted to study at university and read about the 3 year rule too at the time, however upon applying for finance I included information about how I was now back permanently in the UK and how I had been resident here for nearly all my life. I got course fees paid no problem.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I have doing a lot of research on this, as I expect to move to Tx next year but my oldest son is staying in Scotland for university. My daughter (results depending) may well also return to Scotland to go to university. In Scotland we do not pay any tuition fees for higher education, so this is the reason for this decision (and of course we have very good universities). If you are able to show that you have spent most of your life in this country and are now permanently living here, you would be able to get funding. They assess each application on a case by case basis.

But, my query is, why the hell would you want to do law? Thousands of Solicitors are being made redundant in England and in Scotland. There are far too many of us anyway, as they pour students into universities and then they pour out 5 years later. There are simply not enough jobs, even in a good market. But we don't have a good market presently. It is really bad and our profession has been hit really hard. Take it from one who knows. Do something else. Just a (free-which doesn't happen often) friendly but honest piece of advice.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Everhopeful76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Student Finance in the UK

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I spent 16 months in Oz on a temporary spouse visa then came back to Scotland. Within a year of returning I wanted to study at university and read about the 3 year rule too at the time, however upon applying for finance I included information about how I was now back permanently in the UK and how I had been resident here for nearly all my life. I got course fees paid no problem.
Hi - i am a British National looking for a way to finance studies starting this year but due to the fact that i lived in France for 6 years - and have now been back for just over 2 years (ie - not yet the 3 needed) i am having difficulties getting a student loan. Can anyone give me advice on how ex-pats returning to the UK can get financial help and especially relating to funding studies? DOes anyone know of any banks who help ex-pats? I have been looking for info all over but as yet haven't managed to find anything out. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I thought students coming from the EU could get home rates like the locals it's just those of us who moved out of the EU who get charged International rates.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Everhopeful76
Hi - i am a British National looking for a way to finance studies starting this year but due to the fact that i lived in France for 6 years - and have now been back for just over 2 years (ie - not yet the 3 needed) i am having difficulties getting a student loan. Can anyone give me advice on how ex-pats returning to the UK can get financial help and especially relating to funding studies? DOes anyone know of any banks who help ex-pats? I have been looking for info all over but as yet haven't managed to find anything out. Thanks very much.
Last time I checked, as much as we want rid of the French, they're still in the EU...so your all set.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I thought students coming from the EU could get home rates like the locals it's just those of us who moved out of the EU who get charged International rates.
Originally Posted by Bob
Last time I checked, as much as we want rid of the French, they're still in the EU...so your all set.
Everhopeful's asking about student loans...even though she will be eligible for home fees she still may need financing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.