Wikiposts

Strange but true!

Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Cool Strange but true!

I'm new to this forum but have spent time reading most posts! I have been living in Australia for 4 years now and never in that time have I considered going back to the UK! At the time of writing my hubby is Interstate working I've just moved house, got no job but I still love every min of living here. I was surprised by some posts that people had only been out here 2-3 years before throwing in the towel and going back I cant say "home" 'cos to me OZ is my home, I also left family behind, but I made the decision to take the great step and take the good with the bad, forgive me if you think I have spoken out of turn, and I know every situation is different, I am only 24 hrs from the UK, if for some reason I had to return quickly, personally the education system knocks spots off the UK, my kids are settled in school, eldest son is in the Australian Navy now. The weather goes without saying! I couldn't cope with the UK cold now. Anything under 28 degrees is cold to me! My parents are coming out for Xmas this year and they will have their first taste of an Aussie Xmas!
I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I think you should give it more time to "settle" into a new way of life, you might not get the chance to come back!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:37 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange but true!

Originally posted by invictia
I'm new to this forum but have spent time reading most posts! I have been living in Australia for 4 years now and never in that time have I considered going back to the UK! At the time of writing my hubby is Interstate working I've just moved house, got no job but I still love every min of living here. I was surprised by some posts that people had only been out here 2-3 years before throwing in the towel and going back I cant say "home" 'cos to me OZ is my home, I also left family behind, but I made the decision to take the great step and take the good with the bad, forgive me if you think I have spoken out of turn, and I know every situation is different, I am only 24 hrs from the UK, if for some reason I had to return quickly, personally the education system knocks spots off the UK, my kids are settled in school, eldest son is in the Australian Navy now. The weather goes without saying! I couldn't cope with the UK cold now. Anything under 28 degrees is cold to me! My parents are coming out for Xmas this year and they will have their first taste of an Aussie Xmas!
I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I think you should give it more time to "settle" into a new way of life, you might not get the chance to come back!
People have all sorts of different reasons for wanting to move back to the UK...work, family, quality of life, whatever it is. Its good for you that you're happy in Oz, but whats right for you might not be right for other people. I'm in canada at the mo, and though I like living here, I'm sure as hell wouldn't want to spend the rest of my days here.
to each their own, and all that...
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Some people want different things out of life, and Australia is not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to everyone. I would say that the decision to move to Oz is easier than the decision to go home. It's not a case of throwing in the towel - sometimes there is no need to put yourself through the pain of being here if you don't want to. Whilst I agree that it may be wise to see yourself through the transitional periods before making any decisions, at the same time I don't see the point of prolonging the agony if you don't want a future here.

If you have found happiness in SA then you should be thankful that you have settled in well. It's not the same for everyone as everyone has different backgrounds and different expectations.

Personally, I miss the UK countryside being on my doorstep, I miss the greenery of Cheshire and I hate the pollution and car culture here in Oz. I miss close proximity to Europe and I don't like the Americanisation of Australia and the fact that Australia is so isolated. We are expecting our first child and we don't want our children to grow up without grandparents and family support. For us, the family unit is more important than sunshine and barbecues. And for this reason, we are probably going back. But this country obviously works for you - good for you.

In some ways, I think the UK has far more to offer. In other ways Oz wins. Maybe the UK economy is in a mess but Australia's is heading that way. You may think crime is less here but a report published this week in the Bulletin rated Austrlalia TOP among industrialised nations in the number of people affected by serious crime - worse than the UK, worse than the US. There are no end of environmental problems here - logging, water shortages, etc etc. Maybe you are not impacted by the same things that others are.

I wish you all the best for a continued happy life in SA - but please - remember, some of us actually like the UK!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:06 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Some people want different things out of life, and Australia is not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to everyone. I would say that the decision to move to Oz is easier than the decision to go home. It's not a case of throwing in the towel - sometimes there is no need to put yourself through the pain of being here if you don't want to. Whilst I agree that it may be wise to see yourself through the transitional periods before making any decisions, at the same time I don't see the point of prolonging the agony if you don't want a future here.

If you have found happiness in SA then you should be thankful that you have settled in well. It's not the same for everyone as everyone has different backgrounds and different expectations.

Personally, I miss the UK countryside being on my doorstep, I miss the greenery of Cheshire and I hate the pollution and car culture here in Oz. I miss close proximity to Europe and I don't like the Americanisation of Australia and the fact that Australia is so isolated. We are expecting our first child and we don't want our children to grow up without grandparents and family support. For us, the family unit is more important than sunshine and barbecues. And for this reason, we are probably going back. But this country obviously works for you - good for you.

In some ways, I think the UK has far more to offer. In other ways Oz wins. Maybe the UK economy is in a mess but Australia's is heading that way. You may think crime is less here but a report published this week in the Bulletin rated Austrlalia TOP among industrialised nations in the number of people affected by serious crime - worse than the UK, worse than the US. There are no end of environmental problems here - logging, water shortages, etc etc. Maybe you are not impacted by the same things that others are.

I wish you all the best for a continued happy life in SA - but please - remember, some of us actually like the UK!
Thats a good post.
btw...the UK economy is actually doing all right. Sure its been affected by the world wide slowdown over the last couple of years, but unemployment is still very low, and the economy has continued to grow, avoiding the recessions that have hit most other western countries. just thought I'd add that...
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andrew - good to know the economy is doing OK! Wrong choice of words on my part - maybe I meant 'society' instead of 'economy' (although these days can't help but think we do live in an economy and not a society).

I read the UK Mail every now and then - it's always an array of depressing stories of more taxes, immigration problems, health cuts, drugs, crime, rip-off Britain......but then I pick up the local paper and see that it's no different here.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:03 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I've been here in Australia a little over 6 years (11 years in total living away from the UK) , do you think I've given it enough time? or do I need to hang on another 6 years?

For some people Australia may suit them, for others it doesn't, I'm in the doesn't group
I'd rather live back in Asia than here.. but it's business with us.

Long term wise, I could not see myself be buried in any other country than my home in the UK.

cheers
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

This discussion could go on forever! Sorry if I upset anyone, but those were just me observations and personal opinions. If like me, you jumped through hoops to migrate out here and I got it easy I'm married to an Aussie! I remember the feelings of desperation, irritation etc waiting for those Visas to come through! Does anyone going back think back to those times? What if, after you've gone back to the UK you decide that perhaps Australia really wasn't that bad after all? Do you have to start the process again? I have now got my Citizenship and dual passports so I can come and go as I please but some people haven't, the grass is not greener on the other side, it is just another shade.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Its good that you love it, obviously some people do, why dont you post this on the living in OZ forum, Youll get dozens of people really happy to read it. Spurs them on it does
Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:42 pm
WBB

Originally posted by dotty
Its good that you love it, obviously some people do, why dont you post this on the living in OZ forum, Youll get dozens of people really happy to read it. Spurs them on it does

im just going to put my rose tinted spectacles on before reading this thread again

Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

kirinedain is an unknown quantity at this point

To hear Oz has worked for some is great......however, in terms of giving it time. Is 36years enough? My family came here when I was 5 and to be honest it has sucked most of the time. Now it is time to go home I have 2 teenagers (aussie born) who agree wholeheartedly and can't wait to leave. As my daughter said today we don't want to play their game any more.

Yes for some it works and very well but I am not prepared to give this country any more time. Starting over will be very hard and I fully expect problems.

If anyone can give me advice on the red tape would be appreciative.
cheers for now.................wow my very first posting I need a drink to get over the thrill
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by invictia ..... I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I think you should give it more time to "settle" into a new way of life, you might not get the chance to come back!
I agree. I moved to the US in 2001, and have no intentions of returning to the UK.

It seems to me that many people who return to the UK, whether after just a few years, or after many, somehow never really "buy the dream" of the country that they moved to and spend their time just hanging on, waiting to go back.

Like Invictia, it's just my take on this, no offence meant.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

kirinedain is an unknown quantity at this point

In regards to buying the dream........we have tried so hard. Australia was to me, as a little girl, home and I was an Aussie.
However sometimes fate (or whatever you may call it) deals you such a lousy hand to play If we could find where we belonged then may and only maybe we'd think about it.
Australia is a good country but you don't feel like you belong then move on and start again. It's easy in away we've moved 55 times......... yes don't faint I did say 55. The old I've been every where man is almost true. We haven't been to Western Australia.
That's just my opinion and I've always believed that you will know when you've found "home".
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

This discussion could go on forever! Sorry if I upset anyone, but those were just me observations and personal opinions. If like me, you jumped through hoops to migrate out here and I got it easy I'm married to an Aussie! I remember the feelings of desperation, irritation etc waiting for those Visas to come through! Does anyone going back think back to those times? What if, after you've gone back to the UK you decide that perhaps Australia really wasn't that bad after all? Do you have to start the process again? I have now got my Citizenship and dual passports so I can come and go as I please but some people haven't, the grass is not greener on the other side, it is just another shade.

i think it is a lot easier to live somewhere when you have some sort of family connection to a place. Forgive me if I am wrong but I imagine your husband has family in OZ. I do remember back to VISA application time and I remember that I had no idea what it was like living somewhere else and now that I do I realise I prefer the UK. As Andrew says above, each to their own, theres no correct amount of time to be anywhere.....Why prolong your misery somewhere just so you can say well I spent x years there before we went back, it would take a minor miracle to make me not want to go home....
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:41 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I have only been here 8 months and know that this is not the place I want to live for much longer. Don't want to give it more time to settle, I certainly don't want to have to live here for another few years with the 'homesick' feeling that I have every day. I'am glad you feel settled although only you know how you really feel. It works for some and not for others.
I was born in oz so have the chance to return any time I like.
I wish you well in Oz.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:54 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I think also if you have a career it's not always best to keep hanging on hoping that things will get better. Given how behind oz is in most things the longer you stay there the harder it is to pick things up again when you return to the real world.

If its not for you after a year or two its far better to cut your losses. Personally if it was'nt for my aussie wife I would never have the need to return there having spent a few years experiencing the lifestyle. Far too isolated and boring for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.