Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Still waiting for national insurance number

Still waiting for national insurance number

Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Default Still waiting for national insurance number

I applied for my NIN, about four months ago, down loaded the forms, filled them in mailed it off and waited. After a month i called them again and was told "yes we did manage to trace your number we will mail it out" waited another month same response, waited another month same response. Over four months latter still have not received it.
As anyone else had this problem? How long did it take to get them to mail it to an american address.
Thank you all for all the help you continue to give me.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still waiting for national insurance number

The last month would be down to Canada Post locking out the workforce and not delivering any mail.

The three months before?

Missing your current address and posting the NINO to the last address held?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
I applied for my NIN, about four months ago, down loaded the forms, filled them in mailed it off and waited. After a month i called them again and was told "yes we did manage to trace your number we will mail it out" waited another month same response, waited another month same response. Over four months latter still have not received it.
As anyone else had this problem? How long did it take to get them to mail it to an american address.
I have been away for 40 years and they gave me my NI # over the phone. Phone back, ask for yours, don't take no for an answer and if still no satisfaction ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have been away for 40 years and they gave me my NI # over the phone.
You got lucky.

You'd be less lucky if your personal details were given to someone over the phone who was only pretending to be you to steal your identity.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The last month would be down to Canada Post locking out the workforce and not delivering any mail.

The three months before?

Missing your current address and posting the NINO to the last address held?
Why has Canada post got anything to do with it?..dont think the OP lives in Canada?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I received mine very quickly, about 6 weeks, with a pension forecast, but I did have it mailed to my brother in the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Why has Canada post got anything to do with it?..dont think the OP lives in Canada?

Ooops...my mistake. It's me in Canada not the OP.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 14th 2011 at 11:20 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You got lucky.

You'd be less lucky if your personal details were given to someone over the phone who was only pretending to be you to steal your identity.
They asked me several security questions which would be well nigh impossible for someone else to know... I had a hard time with them myself!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:28 am
Oscar nominated

... I had a hard time with them myself!
Just as well...too perfect and that would really have been suspicious.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

They asked me several security questions which would be well nigh impossible for someone else to know... I had a hard time with them myself!
I will call them again tomorrow, and see what they say. I just want my darn number, i want to start topping up my missed stamps for my retirement, cant do anything without that number.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

MrBritUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have been waiting for mine for almost 8 weeks now. I filled in the form and sent it off. I got a letter back saying that the information sent was not enough.
Seen as I was out of the country for 27 years. So I copied my passport, provisional license, and birth certificate. That was 3 weeks ago. I have been calling them every Monday since asking what is taking soooooooooo long. They informed me last week it is being processed. Now this week they said it has been processed and will be mailed off this week. I hope to receive it by next week. If I need to call back again I will ask to speak to a supervisor as it should not take this long. I'm also baffled that the only way to obtain your NIN is by mail. There is no place you can go to get it.

Apart from that, glad to be back in blighty
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:37 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

OH got a new one in 10 days! Was very surprised at the speed
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
Yes, I had the exact same problem. Called 3 times before I finally got a letter, and then got two! My husband called 4 times before he got one letter. I can't figure out whether it's because they don't mail abroad until you've called X number of times, or because they don't release the letters until a certain time of the year, but eventually you will get it, just keep calling and be patient.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if you can recieve your NI number from the states, if you left the states when you were a child and were never issued one before? I have read on the internet you have to show up in person for security reasons but if you could send your birth certificate, etc that would be great and where would you send it to?