Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Still trying to sell my house in Florida

Still trying to sell my house in Florida

Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:24 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still trying to sell my house in Florida

This real estate boom was so ridiculous that I don't think it's like 1995. When you look at house value charts going back 100 years and more, you can see that there has never been a bubble as extreme as this one.

Just looking around where I live, I can't believe we've reached the bottom yet. We don't have anywhere near the foreclosures some places do, but still hardly any houses are selling and simple logic says that's because the prices are too high. Until home owners accept the real value of their homes and not the value they imagine or wish for, I don't see things picking up at all. And once they do accept it, the entire market will go down quite a bit. Any increases will come on top of a much deflated baseline.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:33 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I presume you also expect wage inflation to reach double-digits? That's the only thing that would enable another house-price boom, I think.
I have the experience of working in a 30% wage inflation era and getting 4 raises a year.

I think house prices can boom because of the population/availability ratio.
It regularly does that in the UK whether there is inflation or not

House booms NEVER fail to re-appear. They are like charismatic politicians - expect the next one soon. I remember Harold Wilson. The first 100 days. The white heat of the technological revolution. Then they sit there and do nothing for 15 years. Seen it before. Margaret was different but jeez !
Kill em all let god sort em out.

She said that 10% unemployment means that 90% of people have got jobs. It's unfeeling but true actually - the planes are full and the streets are thronged. It's not doomsday at all and this will turn as always.

Last edited by exvj; Aug 26th 2010 at 8:50 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I have the experience of working in a 30% wage inflation era and getting 4 raises a year.

I think house prices can boom because of the population/availability ratio.
It regularly does that in the UK whether there is inflation or not

House booms NEVER fail to re-appear. They are like charismatic politicians - expect the next one soon. I remember Harold Wilson. The first 100 days. The white heat of the technological revolution. Then they sit there and do nothing for 15 years. Seen it before. Margaret was different but jeez !
Kill em all let god sort em out.

She said that that 10% unemployment means is that 90% of people have got jobs. It's unfeeling but true actually - the planes are full and the streets are thronged. It's not doomsday at all and this will turn as always.
So is it safe to assume your answer to my question is "Yes"?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just yesterday another house two doors down from ours went on the market. Two storey home and probably around 1500 sq feet bigger. It's on the market for $70,000 less than ours. The pictures show a disgraceful interior with mould and stains on the walls and a house that looks as if it had seen better days when first built six years ago.

The owners are still living in the property with their extended families and had apparently stopped paying their mortgage months ago. The house is now a short sale. In the meantime, they live there with their big SUV's and without a care in the world, for free.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:53 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

So is it safe to assume your answer to my question is "Yes"?
I don't expect that wage inflation will reach double digits and I don't think your statement that only that will spark the housing market is correct.

These are complex matters and it's not so simple
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Well, just yesterday another house two doors down from ours went on the market. Two storey home and probably around 1500 sq feet bigger. It's on the market for $70,000 less than ours. The pictures show a disgraceful interior with mould and stains on the walls and a house that looks as if it had seen better days when first built six years ago.

The owners are still living in the property with their extended families and had apparently stopped paying their mortgage months ago. The house is now a short sale. In the meantime, they live there with their big SUV's and without a care in the world, for free.
Some things never change - I know a council house in the UK where the tenant has just bought a brand new Range Rover with her inheritance. Many of her neighbours are heroin addicts and the druq squad smash their front doors in at 5am

Last edited by exvj; Aug 26th 2010 at 9:03 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect that wage inflation will reach double digits and I don't think your statement that only that will spark the housing market is correct.

These are complex matters and it's not so simple
Duh, I guess my PhD don't cut the mustard then. I'm just too dumb to understand these complex things.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:28 pm
Banned

Duh, I guess my PhD don't cut the mustard then. I'm just too dumb to understand these complex things.
I am sorry you are <like you said> but at least you are aware of your situation so don't give up hope trying to find out

I can assure you that nobody is able to predict double digit wage inflation or whether the housing market might pick up at levels of wage inflation below double digits.

I am a Finance Professional too with lots of letters and spend many hours every day grappling with these issues and that is why I know that it is impossible for anyone to predict and it is complex. The Secretary to the Treasury is unable to predict it and I venture to say that he might know more about it than either you or I.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:31 pm
Ping-ponger

I am sorry you are <like you said> but at least you are aware of your situation so don't give up hope trying to find out

I can assure you that nobody is able to predict double digit wage inflation or whether the housing market might pick up at levels of wage inflation below double digits.

I am a Finance Professional too with lots of letters and spend many hours every day grappling with these issues and that is why I know that it is impossible for anyone to predict and it is complex. The Secretary to the Treasury is unable to predict it and I venture to say that he might know more about it than either you or I.
I'm so glad you didn't use the D-word about me, that's very kind of you, and I sure won't give up hope trying to figure out all this complex money stuff. No, suh.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:36 pm
Banned

I'm so glad you didn't use the D-word about me, that's very kind of you, and I sure won't give up hope trying to figure out all this complex money stuff. No, suh.
I applaud your determination and hope you succeed
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:39 pm
Ping-ponger

I applaud your determination and hope you succeed
I can but try, and hope for the best.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Finance Professional too with lots of letters and spend many hours every day grappling with these issues
Attached Thumbnails Still trying to sell my house in Florida-letters.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:48 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If I get me some of those, will I understand high finance, and house prices and all that stuff? You know, because it's so complex I need all the help I can get.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If I get me some of those, will I understand high finance, and house prices and all that stuff? You know, because it's so complex I need all the help I can get.
I'm afraid you will still need to spend several hours a day grappling with it
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:53 pm
Banned

I don't think it is fair to the OP to turn this serious thread in a serious forum into the trailer park. I know you guys have followed me here from there and I knew from way back what your motives were - but please have some respect for the OP in this 'above the line' forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.