British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   State Pension Summary Updated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/state-pension-summary-updated-937084/)

Borneopilot Feb 11th 2021 4:49 am

State Pension Summary Updated

Hello,

After a one year postal process with HMRC, I recently filled the shortfalls in my National Insurance record through an overseas CHPAS payment for my Voluntary Class 3 contributions.

It states on the GOV.UK site that it takes 3 days for the funds to reach them. I called the HMRC number two weeks later and got a voice recording that it takes up to 8 weeks for your National Insurance personal account to be updated on line. I just wanted to inquire if anyone has done this recently and if it took the full 8 weeks to be processed?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been asked somewhere recently however, I couldn’t find any recent posts from the past year.

Cheers

Lynn R Feb 11th 2021 8:54 am

Re: State Pension Summary Updated

I paid 4 years' worth of voluntary Class 3 contributions in October 2020. I waited for the suggested 8 weeks before checking my online pension forecast and it had been updated to show the increased pension by then, but I couldn't say if it had been done any earlier.

Borneopilot Feb 11th 2021 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 12970540)
I paid 4 years' worth of voluntary Class 3 contributions in October 2020. I waited for the suggested 8 weeks before checking my online pension forecast and it had been updated to show the increased pension by then, but I couldn't say if it had been done any earlier.

Great, thanks for the reply! I will keep checking online.

Cheers

durham_lad Feb 11th 2021 12:54 pm

When my wife paid for a few years past contributions it did take many weeks for it show on the website.

Last year I received a letter inviting me to apply online to start receiving my OAP. After applying online I heard nothing apart from a text message in November saying that my application was being processed. The website showed nothing other than an estimate if I claimed it on my birthday, Feb 10. I checked again online on Feb 3 and no change so I called them on the number in the letter I had received and was told it had just been processed, plus exactly how much I would get. I did get a letter from them a couple of days later, and now, finally, when I check online it stills shows that I am in receipt of my OAP.

In conclusion, the online information is always many weeks behind.

Borneopilot Feb 11th 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks durham_lad for the information. I realized the process was going to be slow when it took over a year to get a response after submitting my NI38 by post. The Covid-19 situation has also not helped as I had to have the correspondence sent twice before it arrived overseas.

I’ll keep an eye on my online account over the next 6 weeks and hopefully it’s updated with my contributions!

Lynn R Feb 11th 2021 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Borneopilot (Post 12970636)
Thanks durham_lad for the information. I realized the process was going to be slow when it took over a year to get a response after submitting my NI38 by post. The Covid-19 situation has also not helped as I had to have the correspondence sent twice before it arrived overseas.

I’ll keep an eye on my online account over the next 6 weeks and hopefully it’s updated with my contributions!

I did well then - after waiting a few weeks for a response to the N138 form I had posted to HMRC, I rang to enquire whether they had received it and was told the current timescale for one of their international caseworkers to respond to me was 9 weeks. However, I did get a letter from a caseworker 7 weeks after I'd sent the form off. And all this when we are wanting to pay them money!

Twitcher1958 Feb 13th 2021 2:32 pm

We paid Class 2 contributions in July last year and it was late September/early October before they were reflected on my online page. For some reason, i feel that I had confidence that they had received the money - but I don’t recall why I had that confidence as I can’t see payment acknowledgment anywhere on my account? - but it did take some while before it showed on my record, properly against each year in question.

Borneopilot Feb 13th 2021 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 12970651)
I did well then - after waiting a few weeks for a response to the N138 form I had posted to HMRC, I rang to enquire whether they had received it and was told the current timescale for one of their international caseworkers to respond to me was 9 weeks. However, I did get a letter from a caseworker 7 weeks after I'd sent the form off. And all this when we are wanting to pay them money!

You did very well Lynn R! Yes, I have to laugh at the drawn out process at wanting to give the HMRC money!!

Borneopilot Feb 13th 2021 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958 (Post 12971482)
We paid Class 2 contributions in July last year and it was late September/early October before they were reflected on my online page. For some reason, i feel that I had confidence that they had received the money - but I don’t recall why I had that confidence as I can’t see payment acknowledgment anywhere on my account? - but it did take some while before it showed on my record, properly against each year in question.

Thanks for the reply Twitcher1958. Sound like you were close to the eight weeks as well. I called the HMRC two weeks after I sent the funds and hung up after the recording mentioned it would take eight weeks to process and show on my online account. I also assumed they received the funds but I do have a processed document and confirmation number for the transfer, so it would be easy to track if it goes awry.