Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

State pension index linking for returned brits?

State pension index linking for returned brits?

Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State pension index linking for returned brits?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really, really cheap, compared to what you can potentially get back. If they qualify for Class 2, then it’s just over £150 a year. https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...ibutions/rates

And he can pay voluntary contributions even if not working in Oz.

HTH.
Thank you for the information, I have passed the link on to my friend but my friend said they have never been self employed they have in the passed and also now they are working always been in the clerical/admin sector working directly to the employers, can they still make cheap payments?
Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't need to be self-employed to be eligible for class 2. This table will indicate the whether class 2 or class 3 is applicable in his situation.
https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

Living and working abroad
Class 2 - but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for at least 3 years in a row or paid at least 3 years of contributions

Living abroad but not working
Class 3 - but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK for at least 3 years in a row or paid at least 3 years of contributions
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Thank you for the information, I have passed the link on to my friend but my friend said they have never been self employed they have in the passed and also now they are working always been in the clerical/admin sector working directly to the employers, can they still make cheap payments?
Why not do us all a favour and ask your friend to communicate directly with us.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beraider
Why not do us all a favour and ask your friend to communicate directly with us.
My friend is going through and has gone through "a lot" so any help I can help with I will. I have passed on the above information and my friend will now be in touch with the correct authorities. Thank you to everyone who has replied, my friend was thrilled with the advice.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

He can check his current NI record and pension entitlement here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

This will also show him whether he is entitled to make any payments for earlier years. This is worth considering, especially if he's entitled to pay class 2, just in case it becomes more expensive or class 2 is abolished in future.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tdrinker
He can check his current NI record and pension entitlement here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

This will also show him whether he is entitled to make any payments for earlier years. This is worth considering, especially if he's entitled to pay class 2, just in case it becomes more expensive or class 2 is abolished in future.
Thank you , I have forwarded the link and will let you know the outcome when my friend hopefully "sorts" this out.