Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Starting over on my own...

Starting over on my own...

Old Dec 4th 2018, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

timetochoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting over on my own...

I've been away from the UK for over a decade - married an American. Long story short, that relationship has become abusive and I thought long and hard about what I want out of life. If I'm going to be alone, I might as well be back in the UK (I left for love, not a particular like of the US or dislike of the UK), where my best mate and remaining relatives are. I haven't been back for years and I miss it. I've adapted to life abroad but realised I was never really one of them.
I haven't worked in my usual field for a few years, but I've taken advice and had my CV looked at, so hopefully someone will take pity on me. I have a UK bank account, but they cancelled my credit card with them a few years back (no debt or anything, in fact no reason given that I can remember). I'm about to renew my UK passport. I have enough cash to pay rent up front. I have an idea of where I'd want to live. I understand I can just update my driving licence (and possibly pay a fine). It looks like I won't have any credit until I have an address, and won't be able to get car insurance for a decent price (or was that about signing up for the NHS again) until I'm on the electoral roll, but I'll have to find a job/flat that doesn't require a car at first due to the logistics. I bought a smartphone that will work in the UK.
Do I have the basics covered? Are there things I should do now, or things I should look into?
Old Dec 4th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting over on my own...

Originally Posted by timetochoose
I've been away from the UK for over a decade - married an American. Long story short, that relationship has become abusive and I thought long and hard about what I want out of life. If I'm going to be alone, I might as well be back in the UK (I left for love, not a particular like of the US or dislike of the UK), where my best mate and remaining relatives are. I haven't been back for years and I miss it. I've adapted to life abroad but realised I was never really one of them.
I haven't worked in my usual field for a few years, but I've taken advice and had my CV looked at, so hopefully someone will take pity on me. I have a UK bank account, but they cancelled my credit card with them a few years back (no debt or anything, in fact no reason given that I can remember). I'm about to renew my UK passport. I have enough cash to pay rent up front. I have an idea of where I'd want to live. I understand I can just update my driving licence (and possibly pay a fine). It looks like I won't have any credit until I have an address, and won't be able to get car insurance for a decent price (or was that about signing up for the NHS again) until I'm on the electoral roll, but I'll have to find a job/flat that doesn't require a car at first due to the logistics. I bought a smartphone that will work in the UK.
Do I have the basics covered? Are there things I should do now, or things I should look into?
Just a few observations:
There's no fine for updating your UK driving licence upon your return.
Others have mentioned Aviva for car insurance and that they take account of US no claims. Make sure you have proof (eg statement on a headed letter) of your US insurance.
You are OK with the NHS as soon as you return, because you are returning with the intention of remaining.
If you have savings/investments/pensions in the US you need to plan carefully to ensure long term access to them from the UK.
Have you got arrangements to transfer funds from the US to the UK eg Transferwise or similar? If not, it may be best to get that in place in advance.
Are you a US citizen? If so you will have to continue to complete US tax returns.

Good luck!
Old Dec 4th 2018, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reassuring advice! I will get proof of US car insurance (never had an accident, touch wood). I plan to use XE or Transferwise (just read about them last night) to hopefully pull everything over to my UK account. I am a dual national, but as I understand it the US tax returns will be simple enough if I'm no longer earning there.

Edit: Just chatted with my bank. They seem very wishy washy on credit cards. Can anyone recommend a card company? Should I go with something like Tesco (presumably little to no credit history in the UK by now)?

Last edited by timetochoose; Dec 4th 2018 at 5:27 pm. Reason: card question
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Look into American Express Global Transfer for a credit card.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Since you already have a UK bank account (kudos for that) then you will no doubt have a Debit Card as well so at worst you will be able to get by with that until you secure a credit card. (This is what our son did last year, and he had a credit card within a few months, at most, of returning to England)

The other advice above is good, particularly around pensions especially the likes of 401ks and IRAs.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I will be able to manage with a debit card for a while. I just want to get good credit ASAP. I think I'm okay with pensions. Some things can't be moved, but I have the paperwork and will be able to access them down the road. I'll do the usual address updates to everything too.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth checking you have the requisite number of "quarters" paid-in to the US SS system to be able to get a US state pension in the future.

From memory it was 40 quarters where you had earned and paid SS - so 10 years. They can give you an online statement that will confirm (or deny) this.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Might be worth checking you have the requisite number of "quarters" paid-in to the US SS system to be able to get a US state pension in the future.

From memory it was 40 quarters where you had earned and paid SS - so 10 years. They can give you an online statement that will confirm (or deny) this.
+1

Create an account with ss.gov before you leave.

https://www.ssa.gov/site/signin/en/
Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. I think I'm paid up on both sides of the Atlantic. I will take a look!
Old Dec 6th 2018, 11:41 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timetochoose
Interesting. I think I'm paid up on both sides of the Atlantic. I will take a look!
UK is 10 years to qualify for any and 35 years to get the full amount.

The US state pension will likely reduce somewhat due to WEP - others on this board have already written about Windfall Elimination - either in moving back or US sections.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
UK is 10 years to qualify for any and 35 years to get the full amount.

The US state pension will likely reduce somewhat due to WEP - others on this board have already written about Windfall Elimination - either in moving back or US sections.
US is also 10 years to qualify and pays well in comparison to UK OAP as it is based on the amount of contributions. My 23 years of US contributions is worth more than 2.5 times my 30 years of OAP contributions even after the maximum WEP has been applied.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:22 am
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by durham_lad

US is also 10 years to qualify and pays well in comparison to UK OAP as it is based on the amount of contributions. My 23 years of US contributions is worth more than 2.5 times my 30 years of OAP contributions even after the maximum WEP has been applied.
Nice!

I'm hoping my 11 years payment into SS will give me something sensible after WEP - between my employer and me we only paid $135K over that time into SS.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I never heard of anyone affected by WEP in their social security retirement scenarios. Did you guys work for state or local governments that did not withhold social security taxes from your wages?
Old Dec 13th 2018, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I never heard of anyone affected by WEP in their social security retirement scenarios. Did you guys work for state or local governments that did not withhold social security taxes from your wages?
Any pension benefit derived from employment which was not subject to FICA withholdings will cause a US SS benefit to be subject to WEP. This includes any foreign pension, derived from foreign employment, as well as any foreign State pension amount earned whilst in that employment, to cause a WEP deduction to US SS. That would also include, for the UK, any personal pension where the employer contributed to the employees' personal pension. Voluntary contributions to the UK State pension whilst living in the US are not subject to WEP.

I have UK and EU company pensions as well as UK and EU State pension benefits. My US SS was reduced on the plus side of 30% due to WEP (in my case, Max. WEP was applied).
Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I am in exactly the same position as theOAP. My UK private pensions alone will be enough to WEP me to the max. (~$500 - $600/month)

When my wife starts her SS it will be her UK OAP only that will be assessed and we will calculate that based on her working years and not the 16 years of voluntary contributions which were paid using the proceeds from her US salary which did pay into SS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.