Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Starting Business in the USA - but for the UK

Starting Business in the USA - but for the UK

Old May 25th 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Starting Business in the USA - but for the UK

Not sure if this idea will work and I am still actually thinking it through but would love some suggestions or comments.

When I return to the UK this year, I thought it would be good to have some potential for freelance income as soon as I get there. I could continue this after I retire (if I ever do) and in addition to a full-time job. If the freelance work escalated to become full-time eventually it would be great.

I can certainly put up a web site advertising my skills now but how can I aim it at UK businesses when I am still in the USA?

There's also the question of registering a domain name in the USA while targeting the UK - the question of taxes.

If I don't do a web site until I am in the UK, there's still the question of how to market my services in the UK while still in the USA.

The field is video editing, graphic design and social media marketing.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree by trying to get a foot in the door before I actually get there.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Business in the USA - but for the UK

If it's internet based I don't know why you "aiming" at anywhere, though I guess a focus isn't a bad thing, but does it really matter whether your customer is in Chicago, Cambridge or Casablanca? If you set up a web site you'd at least need a UK phone number, which thanks to the wonders of VoIP, can be done from the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 25th 2014 at 7:51 pm.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it's internet based I don't know why you "aiming" at anywhere, though I guess a focus isn't a bad thing, but does it really matter whether your customer is in Chicago, Cambridge or Casablanca? If you set up a wrb site you'd at least need a UK phone numbet, which thanks to the wonders of VoIP can be done from the US
No, it doesn't really matter and I would accept clients from just about anywhere, although it would be nice to have some in the UK.

How do you go about getting VOIP for a UK phone number when based in the USA?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:59 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap UK and International Phone Calls via VoIP | Vonage UK

plus you can actually start advertising for work now, if the project is small its not a big deal to ftp content up and download it to work on in the USA.

I'm also a video editor, although stopped doing it now. And i wont be doing that in the UK as the pay is horrible there. Perhaps thats something you need to take into account.

Also on the subject of FTP, you'll want to rent and manage your own, so the customer is not incurring that cost if they dont have one. Prob at least 100gb storage and as least 250gb bandwidth inclusion.

hope that helps.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldollard
Cheap UK and International Phone Calls via VoIP | Vonage UK

plus you can actually start advertising for work now, if the project is small its not a big deal to ftp content up and download it to work on in the USA.

I'm also a video editor, although stopped doing it now. And i wont be doing that in the UK as the pay is horrible there. Perhaps thats something you need to take into account.

Also on the subject of FTP, you'll want to rent and manage your own, so the customer is not incurring that cost if they dont have one. Prob at least 100gb storage and as least 250gb bandwidth inclusion.

hope that helps.
Thank you. I didn't know UK pay was not good for video editors. Shame. It takes a lot of skill.

As it turned out, I will be there in about 3-4 weeks - much sooner than planned, so will be job hunting almost immediately. The small business idea will have to wait a while now. I wonder if jobs in graphic design and social media pay any better. This will be interesting. At the very least, video editing and graphic design are great freelance/small business lines, even if the pay is not high enough for full-time employment. No matter what I end up doing for a full-time job, I will still have a sideline.

I am also contemplating lecturing in a further education college on a full-time basis but I need to do more research on this. I'd love to go back to it if I can. Will still have that sideline, though!

Last edited by windsong; Jun 24th 2014 at 3:40 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that if your field of expertise is social media marketing, wouldn't social media marketing be a major way to aim it at UK businesses?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CDNtoUK
I'm guessing that if your field of expertise is social media marketing, wouldn't social media marketing be a major way to aim it at UK businesses?
One aspect of my expertise is social media marketing, yes, and I will indeed be putting it to full use once I am in the UK. Everything is happening so quickly now with the upcoming move that it is better if I wait until I am there before I tackle a new venture. I don't have time to do anything except work on the move at the moment.