Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The Start of My Journey Home

The Start of My Journey Home

Old Aug 16th 2019, 6:28 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Start of My Journey Home

Originally Posted by Zattu
I read this and thought 'This is exactly how I feel '. It is a very strange feeling to feel that you don't belong in your environment. when I go back to the UK to visit and people say: 'What in the world do you want to come back here for?' I say 'No it's not what you think it is'. They have a Hollywood version of America in their heads.
When I used to come back to the UK for visits my friends and relatives would tell me how crap the UK was - these were people who went skiing once or twice a year and took a nice summer holiday, drove nice cars, one has a swimming pool, etc etc etc - basically they were living in a land of milk and honey but the culture of Brits is to do-down the UK and they honestly seemed to believe that the UK was a crappy place. Shame for people to get into that mindset.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djsoul
Hi All,

I hope you don’t mind if I share my story and perhaps hear from others who’ve reached this stage.

I’ve been in the US (NYC / NJ) for 9 years (working for 8) and I’ve reached the decision that I wish to return home. I first arrived in 2010 marrying into the country to woman of another cultural decent; little did I know that over time our differences would be so vast and that trying to merge our upbringings would be virtually impossible. After some very difficult years; I happily divorced in 2018.

I live alone now in NJ and am very content with the independent lifestyle – I’ve reconnected with my childhood sweetheart from back home in Devon and she’s been over to visit 4 times.

I work for a major European corporate company over here, have “platinum” health insurance, a subsidised luxury car and all the premium perks and trimmings that an global employer could offer.

You may be asking yourself, “How can this person be unhappy?”.

Well there are a few reasons. I have very few friends here and no family – I only came here for my ex-spouse. I’m fairly introverted and have done my best to force myself to be “outgoing” and have gone to many, many music parties over my time here in a certain genre of music but I still have failed to form any meaningful or deep friendships with anyone of substance – I’m just left with Facebook friends.

Many are either drug addicted, racist, bitter and angry at life and often attending these events and be a melancholic experience which I find depressing.

I’ve since taken up a new hobby - astronomy, I joined my local club and bought myself a nice telescope since I exited this music scene – its rewarding but again I find the process of forming friendships with Americans exhausting and unfulfilling in this circle. I have tried but I’ve now come to the point of acceptance that I’m never going to gel with this culture; I want to go home and start again. I’m just sooo tired of being the novelty Brit.

I feel I’m living a shallow life around shallow people. I am not materialistic in anyway and the “big is better” mindset means nothing to me; I’d be happy living a simple life in a two-roomed flat without all the excesses of the US lifestyle.

I want to go to a pub and eat English food (NYC hybrids are OK but just filled with fascinated yanks). I want to go to watch my local football team again; I watch them every week on live stream and have kept my British identity and connections. I don’t feel Americanised in any way even though I haven’t been back since I left.

I know some things have changed and I have as well (for the better).

I am a green card holder and not a US citizen; when I leave the country, my Green Card will timeout and I will default to becoming a non-resident alien. I have no need or wish to return to the US.

I’ve checked on the Social Security website and I've found that I can still claim US SSA retirement benefits as a non-resident alien; this does unnerve me slightly knowing that I will be owed benefits but theoretically cannot stay in the country for more than 90 days. Others on here and elsewhere I have read don't seem to be experiencing any problems doing that though. I’d like to hear any experiences or tips.

I'm currently on 36 credits and I need to complete the submission of my 2019 and 2020 tax returns to meet the 40-credit minimum; I effectively must stay here for another 17 months.

I've thought about utilising the US/UK totalisation agreement treaty to take some credits from my UK National Insurance to top up my US account so I can leave earlier. There is a 105-page thread on here all about getting “WEP’d” and it is a complete baffling nightmare. I've used the SSA WEP Calculator and I'll still get a fairly decent amount alongside my UK state pension in retirement. I'm just going to have to suck up the deductions that the SSA will make when you claim both.

I fortunately have enough savings to make a move and I also have a 401 K. I'm planning to either keep my 401k with my current employer or roll it over to an IRA and leave it here in the US as I am about 10 years away from retirement. I’ll be completing my W8-BEN form to declare my non resident status with my plan administrator, so I can draw down when the time is right.

I really feel that I could do with a 6-month sabbatical to recoup and acclimatise back to UK life when I return as the US has sucked the life out of me.

However, I cannot live on those savings forever and I know I will need to work at some point.

My employer has positions back in the UK which I could apply for but I don’t know if I want to remain in the corporate world. I'd really like to return to Devon or the South West, but my employer doesn't really have any presence there. I could work for one of their franchises there but that would be seen as going backwards and many questions would be asked - it would be seen as career suicide.

Before I left for the US, I simply couldn't find a job in my hometown and it was a real struggle. I think though things would be different this time as I would be coming back with substantial international experience in my industry. Its one of the only things I’m wrestling with.

I hate to fly but I've recently found out that taking The Queen Mary cruise back to Southampton is an option and is probably the route that I'm going to take.

I simply can't imagine the emotions that I would be feeling standing at the back of the boat looking at the New York skyline where I spent so much of my 10 years here, skating and riding my bike alongside the Brooklyn belt Parkway and then sailing under the Verrazano bridge which I've driven across hundreds of times and then watching it fade into the distance.

It will be a very, very surreal experience for me knowing it will be a one-way ticket with no return.

Anyway, I hope to hear your comments and thoughts if you are in a similar position and also any ideas of re-establishing myself back home in a job.

Should I stay with my employer? Should I take a break for my mental health and live off my savings for a maximum of 6 months? or should I justn eave the corporate world and down size my career into something less pressured and just enjoy the simple life?

Thank you for reading.
Just a quick comment - submission of your tax return doesn't trigger extra credits for social security, working does.​​​​​​ As far as credits, working online for a US employer for a US employer even online and even part time will earn your credits- I would think if you are just 4 credits away, earning about $1,500 a quarter would meet the requirements. Most US employers if you have permission to work in the US will automatically deduct social security taxes if originally they have a US address for you. In any case I am unsure why you would need 17 months instead of 12.

As far as the corporate world don't know your circumstances but I would say unless you get some deep personal satisfaction slaving away for someone why not enjoy life and being based in the UK the easy and inexpensive travel options to Europe, enjoy your new hobby ( and visit the Norhumberland Night Park).
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:58 am
Just Joined

djsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nice

Thanks for this - just catching up and missed your post. After checking my SSA account in January 2020; they updated my account as my earnings came in and about a week ago, my status updated and they confirmed I have fully qualified with 40 credits!! This was a big relief and weight off my mind.

Also thanks for the recommendation for Northumberland park; I'll try to seek out as many dark skies locations when I get back.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I hope you don’t mind if I share my story and perhaps hear from others who’ve reached this stage.

I’ve been in the US (NYC / NJ) for 9 years (working for 8) and I’ve reached the decision that I wish to return home. I first arrived in 2010 marrying into the country to woman of another cultural decent; little did I know that over time our differences would be so vast and that trying to merge our upbringings would be virtually impossible. After some very difficult years; I happily divorced in 2018.

I live alone now in NJ and am very content with the independent lifestyle – I’ve reconnected with my childhood sweetheart from back home in Devon and she’s been over to visit 4 times.

I work for a major European corporate company over here, have “platinum” health insurance, a subsidised luxury car and all the premium perks and trimmings that an global employer could offer.

Well there are a few reasons. I have very few friends here and no family – I only came here for my ex-spouse. I’m fairly introverted and have done my best to force myself to be “outgoing” and have gone to many, many music parties over my time here in a certain genre of music but I still have failed to form any meaningful or deep friendships with anyone of substance – I’m just left with Facebook friends.

Many are either drug addicted, racist, bitter and angry at life and often attending these events and be a melancholic experience which I find depressing.

I’ve since taken up a new hobby - astronomy, I joined my local club and bought myself a nice telescope since I exited this music scene – its rewarding but again I find the process of forming friendships with Americans exhausting and unfulfilling in this circle. I have tried but I’ve now come to the point of acceptance that I’m never going to gel with this culture; I want to go home and start again. I’m just sooo tired of being the novelty Brit.

I feel I’m living a shallow life around shallow people. I am not materialistic in anyway and the “big is better” mindset means nothing to me; I’d be happy living a simple life in a two-roomed flat without all the excesses of the US lifestyle.

I want to go to a pub and eat English food (NYC hybrids are OK but just filled with fascinated yanks). I want to go to watch my local football team again; I watch them every week on live stream and have kept my British identity and connections. I don’t feel Americanised in any way even though I haven’t been back since I left.

I am a green card holder and not a US citizen; when I leave the country, my Green Card will timeout and I will default to becoming a non-resident alien. I have no need or wish to return to the US.

I’ve checked on the Social Security website and I've found that I can still claim US SSA retirement benefits as a non-resident alien; this does unnerve me slightly knowing that I will be owed benefits but theoretically cannot stay in the country for more than 90 days. Others on here and elsewhere I have read don't seem to be experiencing any problems doing that though. I’d like to hear any experiences or tips.

I'm currently on 36 credits and I need to complete the submission of my 2019 and 2020 tax returns to meet the 40-credit minimum; I effectively must stay here for another 17 months.

I've thought about utilising the US/UK totalisation agreement treaty to take some credits from my UK National Insurance to top up my US account so I can leave earlier. There is a 105-page thread on here all about getting “WEP’d” and it is a complete baffling nightmare. I've used the SSA WEP Calculator and I'll still get a fairly decent amount alongside my UK state pension in retirement. I'm just going to have to suck up the deductions that the SSA will make when you claim both.

I fortunately have enough savings to make a move and I also have a 401 K. I'm planning to either keep my 401k with my current employer or roll it over to an IRA and leave it here in the US as I am about 10 years away from retirement. I’ll be completing my W8-BEN form to declare my non resident status with my plan administrator, so I can draw down when the time is right.

I really feel that I could do with a 6-month sabbatical to recoup and acclimatise back to UK life when I return as the US has sucked the life out of me.

However, I cannot live on those savings forever and I know I will need to work at some point.

My employer has positions back in the UK which I could apply for but I don’t know if I want to remain in the corporate world. I'd really like to return to Devon or the South West, but my employer doesn't really have any presence there. I could work for one of their franchises there but that would be seen as going backwards and many questions would be asked - it would be seen as career suicide.

Before I left for the US, I simply couldn't find a job in my hometown and it was a real struggle. I think though things would be different this time as I would be coming back with substantial international experience in my industry. Its one of the only things I’m wrestling with.

I hate to fly but I've recently found out that taking The Queen Mary cruise back to Southampton is an option and is probably the route that I'm going to take.

I simply can't imagine the emotions that I would be feeling standing at the back of the boat looking at the New York skyline where I spent so much of my 10 years here, skating and riding my bike alongside the Brooklyn belt Parkway and then sailing under the Verrazano bridge which I've driven across hundreds of times and then watching it fade into the distance.

It will be a very, very surreal experience for me knowing it will be a one-way ticket with no return.

Anyway, I hope to hear your comments and thoughts if you are in a similar position and also any ideas of re-establishing myself back home in a job.

Should I stay with my employer? Should I take a break for my mental health and live off my savings for a maximum of 6 months? or should I just leave the corporate world and down size my career into something less pressured and just enjoy the simple life?

Thank you for reading.

Very interesting read!!! I also live in New Jersey and might be in that situation in a few short years once my kids have graduated. I'm also separated.

I'm stuck between leaving and not leaving. If I stay, as a divorced dad, I will be lonely and isolated. I have no other family here and precious few friends. One of my goals is to visit every state - I have about 18 left to visit.

If I go back to the UK I may want to run back because the reverse culture shock will overwhelm me, yet my family live in the UK and Ireland.

I pay voluntary NICs so if I move to the UK I need a job paying US dollars. I don't want the totaliization agreement - I want to collect two social securities and not be poor living off a UK state pension. I figure by the time I retire I will already have 30 years of social security payments and won't lose out with WEP. I read somewhere if you do take a deduction for WEP they ignore the part of the UK pension made with voluntary NIC payments so any deduction should be small.

I wish you all the best in your journey back home.

Last edited by drhewitt; Feb 26th 2020 at 6:01 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drhewitt
I pay voluntary NICs so if I move to the UK I need a job paying US dollars.
I'm intrigued by this, why do you need a job paying US dollars?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 26th 2020 at 6:43 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

This was an honest, well-written post - you're not in the media by any chance?

I am in a similar position to yourself (moved to North America with partner but never managed to get the kind of white-collar job I gave up in the UK) however I do not have the financial cushion that you have.

Anyway, I hope your return to Blighty goes off without a hitch and you find what you're looking for.

craig_hoxton
Old Feb 28th 2020, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm intrigued by this, why do you need a job paying US dollars?
I want to keep paying into the US social security system. They pay a lot more than the UK pension which I can just keep making voluntary NICs.

You can't make voluntary payments into the US social security system - it is based on your earnings.

After 30 years of earnings I can collect social security and my UK state pension
Old Feb 28th 2020, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drhewitt
I want to keep paying into the US social security system. They pay a lot more than the UK pension which I can just keep making voluntary NICs.

You can't make voluntary payments into the US social security system - it is based on your earnings.

After 30 years of earnings I can collect social security and my UK state pension
Ah, I see. I would double check you can do what you're hoping to do, not everybody can pay voluntary NI contributions and there may not be a category you'll eligible to do so under. I'd also have thought you'd be tax resident in the UK, even if paid in USD's, but I'm only basing that on when I worked for a Canadian company and was paid in CAD (but still had to pay tax and NI in the UK). It may well not apply to you, but do make sure you can do what you plan to.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 28th 2020 at 3:47 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Should I stay with my employer? Should I take a break for my mental health and live off my savings for a maximum of 6 months? or should I just leave the corporate world and down size my career into something less pressured and just enjoy the simple life?

Thank you for reading.
This was an interesting read and also made me feel a bit emotional as I'm going back and forth with similar feelings.

I've been here about two and a half years, but still don't feel like I belong and am more convinced that I never will. Your comment about being the 'novelty Brit' struck a chord - it feels like that's my only social currency here. My type of humor doesn't quite work here. I'll quite often sit watching 8 out of 10 Cats on YouTube laughing my head off and my girlfriend couldn't care less for it.
I moved for a girl, and got a great salary into the bargain, and a wonderful career opportunity, but she lost her job eight months into my trip, and took a year deciding that she wasn't going to pursue law - whilst I supported us both in a 2 bed 2 bath in Queens ... not cheap!
I just got a $22,000 bonus and the entire thing went to paying off credit card debt accrued over the last year keeping us going.

I've been unable to do any of the things I wanted to do whilst here - visiting states and national parks, driving Route 66 in a Mustang, visiting the west coast, and all of that.
I find myself inherently frustrated with the culture, and I think if I decided to go it alone (which would be financially advantageous) I'd still not really enjoy it. I miss home regularly, and whilst home for Christmas last year almost got off the plane on the return trip home.
My friends and family all know I'm unhappy and ask why I don't just come home, but I currently feel trapped - I have an incredibly rewarding job that pays me more than I've ever earned, but it all gets sucked out of me by my living arrangements. I've been warned that I likely won't make as much money in the UK as the US and that's probably true, but I'd gladly trade that in for being able to pop down the pub on a weekend with a good friend and have that easy social interaction that I've never found here.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and will keep an eye on this thread!! I might be doing the same in a year if I don't renew my visa ...
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

UKBritExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
This was an interesting read and also made me feel a bit emotional as I'm going back and forth with similar feelings.

I've been here about two and a half years, but still don't feel like I belong and am more convinced that I never will. Your comment about being the 'novelty Brit' struck a chord - it feels like that's my only social currency here. My type of humor doesn't quite work here. I'll quite often sit watching 8 out of 10 Cats on YouTube laughing my head off and my girlfriend couldn't care less for it.
I moved for a girl, and got a great salary into the bargain, and a wonderful career opportunity, but she lost her job eight months into my trip, and took a year deciding that she wasn't going to pursue law - whilst I supported us both in a 2 bed 2 bath in Queens ... not cheap!
I just got a $22,000 bonus and the entire thing went to paying off credit card debt accrued over the last year keeping us going.

I've been unable to do any of the things I wanted to do whilst here - visiting states and national parks, driving Route 66 in a Mustang, visiting the west coast, and all of that.
I find myself inherently frustrated with the culture, and I think if I decided to go it alone (which would be financially advantageous) I'd still not really enjoy it. I miss home regularly, and whilst home for Christmas last year almost got off the plane on the return trip home.
My friends and family all know I'm unhappy and ask why I don't just come home, but I currently feel trapped - I have an incredibly rewarding job that pays me more than I've ever earned, but it all gets sucked out of me by my living arrangements. I've been warned that I likely won't make as much money in the UK as the US and that's probably true, but I'd gladly trade that in for being able to pop down the pub on a weekend with a good friend and have that easy social interaction that I've never found here.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and will keep an eye on this thread!! I might be doing the same in a year if I don't renew my visa ...
Just book your flights, pack your suitcases and go home mate. Life is too short. It's your duty to be happy. Why stay where you are unhappy. You can always make more money, but you cant make more time.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:05 am
Just Joined

BritLass is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the UK and it has gone down quite considerably. The UK you return to is different to the one you left. I'm in London, Devon may have kept its charm. Please don't be disappointed. And remember that happiness is within.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Britlass

In what ways do you think it’s gone down?