Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Starlingbank has closed my account.

Starlingbank has closed my account.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starlingbank has closed my account.

I have also now found another address for them listed as HQ but it could be out of date, I would write the same letter to both addresses requesting a copy of the complaints proceedure. Registered and tracked. Starling Bank
7th Floor, Norfolk House, 31 St James's Square, London SW1Y 4JR 7th Floor, Norfolk House,
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

richarddance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angie_329 View Post
I looked up some info for you. A few options.

Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...ing-societies/

https://www.gov.uk/complain-financial-service

The Gov site Informs you about the financial ombudsman and tells you to apply for a copy of Bank's complaint procedure. I think that is vital. There seems to have been no due process .

It's best to write and send a registered letter asking for a copy of their complaints procedure and keep a copy and the tracking receipt as a first step. You must now document all your dealing with them, if you have not done so already.

Their address is : Starling Bank, 3rd floor, 2 Finsbury Ave, London EC2M 2PP

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

how to complain which guide

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...udsman-service

OR before using the Financial Ombudsman you could try Katie Morley- if your case is already with Ombudsman she cannot take it up.

Katie Morley investigates, at Money Telegraph, is good at these sort of issues where there is no sensible communication between HQ and customer. You will need to write a letter for her signed and addressed to the bank authorising them to speak to her and to disclose your personal information.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ka...-contact-form/

You are up against the AML people in the back office ( anti money laundering) who are not empowered to apply common sense.
Thanks, for your help, the people on this forum have helped me so much, i am going to send an email to Katie Morley, i will let you know how it progresses.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
If you don't provide hard, provable* information about where the money came from, and fairly quickly, you will likely find the funds seized and subject to the asset forfeiture procedures. At that point you will have to provide the same information to the court, and either appear in court or retain a lawyer to appear on your behalf. I strongly recommend that you do whatever you need to do to persuade Starling Bank that the funds are legit, as it is likley to prove much more expensive and time consuming to get your money back through the court.

Your case is a text book example of why I have been telling people on BE for years, to contact their bank in the UK before wiring substantial funds into the account, otherwise the result may get ugly for at least a couple of reasons, as you may be about to find out!

* You need things like pay vouchers, invoices, contracts, task/ work descriptions (including locations), and all need to show thigs that can be checked - company names and registration numbers, addresses, phone numbers, names of owners and/or directors, etc.

BTW you say they have "frozen" your account. From the letter you have quoted, it looks more to me like they have closed your account, and the best you can hope for is that they'll send you a cheque. If a bank says they have "closed your account" I would not expect them to reopen it.
Many thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richarddance View Post
Many thanks.
Please let us know how things go. I believe I know what has happened and I am intrigued to know how things turn out for you.

Are you currently in the UK, or still in the ME?
Old Aug 8th 2020, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Please let us know how things go. I believe I know what has happened and I am intrigued to know how things turn out for you.

Are you currently in the UK, or still in the ME?
I am back in London, most of the world is in lockdown, so back with family in London.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 5:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richarddance View Post
I am back in London, most of the world is in lockdown, so back with family in London.
If you have just arrived back in the UK i.e. since Starling Bank wrote to you, I am somewhat surprised that you made it through immigration into the UK without being stopped and questioned.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one heck of a message Richard... especially coming from this bank ..set up by Ann Boded in 2014 SPECIFICALLY to provide a modern service ... Theres pages on Google about it

Their message is... 'Built to give people a fairer ,safer, and more human interaction than with the banks of the past'

Not sounding like it in your case is it. They do however provide a 'HELP' line for you

Have you tried it ?.... help.starlingbank.com,en-us

Hope you have already resolved this
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Beewise2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you manage to get your fund out? how long did it take?
i am in similar boat but i have provided with evidence.