Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Originally Posted by northernbird
Fair point and there are parts of Perth that are skanky too. Lots of lovely places in the UK but IMO Staines isn't one of them.
I didn't want to particularly live IN Staines itself, it looks very built up from what I can see on Google what with Heathrow and all the surrounding industries. A bit like Mascot in Sydney.......and I sure don't want to live there!!

I was looking more for somewhere to commute to Staines from.........I am assuming buses and trains would be pretty good due to Heathrow and lots of associated workplaces? I have no plans to get a car at this stage.......

Anybody know about local transport?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should google the address of the office you will be based at in Staines and see what the nearest transport links are to it, then see what other towns you could live in based in the transport links.
If it's near the train station then see where that line goes and see if anyone here knows those towns.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think you should google the address of the office you will be based at in Staines and see what the nearest transport links are to it, then see what other towns you could live in based in the transport links.
If it's near the train station then see where that line goes and see if anyone here knows those towns.

Good idea Mummy, it seems to be slap bang in the middle of all the industry, which is how it is in Sydney for me too now and the public transport isn't too bad around these parts, which makes me think it will be much better in London.......
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:43 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Good idea Mummy, it seems to be slap bang in the middle of all the industry, which is how it is in Sydney for me too now and the public transport isn't too bad around these parts, which makes me think it will be much better in London.......
hahahah you're kidding right?
At one point, I lived 2 miles from the start of the express bus lane on the m4 and worked a mile from the end of it. I could not get a bus to work.

The links are to/ from HEATHROW and nowhere else. They are fast routes from heathrow into london without stopping at any local to heathrow destinations.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
hahahah you're kidding right?
At one point, I lived 2 miles from the start of the express bus lane on the m4 and worked a mile from the end of it. I could not get a bus to work.

The links are to/ from HEATHROW and nowhere else. They are fast routes from heathrow into london without stopping at any local to heathrow destinations.
I have no idea, which is why I started this thread, from your posts I can see you don't miss the area one little bit...........
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:47 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Just had an 'aha...', moment! How about accepting the job, finding a place to rent in/around Heathrow or somewhere near those vast car parks that have the buses every ten minutes to take passengers to the terminal? After a while, you could very probably request a transfer to Manchester Airport where rentals are much, much cheaper.

I know living costs are a bit excessive in Greater London, but with a plan and a bit of belt-tightening its certainly do-able!

Very excited for you.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:09 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

CHEAP??

£650 to £700 a month is NOT cheap on one wage, OK if you are a couple........
Afraid you'll have to go north if you want to rent a much cheaper flat. On the other hand, if you're single you can always rent a room in a shared house.
As for the one wage - once you've proved yourself in the new job you can always press for promotion, or try for a better paid job.
If you're working in Heathrow, why not consider living somewhere like Southall, Ealing or Acton? You will then be ideally be placed to move onto better paid work

Best of luck.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main thing is to try and find somewhere you will really enjoy. You're making a big change here and it's going to be tough anyway at first.

The last time you were in the UK, you lived in lovely places surrounded by lovely scenery (yay for the north!) so I just worry about how hard it will be if you find yourself in a crappy area where rents are so high that you can't afford anything nice.

I don't know anything about that area, so I don't know if 'nice' is doable - if it isn't, there's nothing to stop you saying 'thanks but no thanks' and sticking with your original plan to live where you want.

I hope you don't mind me saying all this - it's just that everyone else seems to think this is a no-brainer and I can't help being a little more cautious about something that so dramatically changes your circumstances.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:59 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Barb,

I grew up around the Staines area (parents live in Egham, town next to Staines) and I lived in Staines until 2001, plus worked in Staines for a time.

I know the area very well and it's not all bad, although I think you can probably do better (by which I mean less built up and more greenery). The older part of Staines has some lovely areas that are close to the River Thames. Shopping is good in the town centre and there are good facilities generally around the area.

I was involved with a wonderful volunteer group, which would get together once a month to work on small conservation projects, and there is a very active 'social' scene, if you want to get out there and meet people. Traffic is a bit of a nightmare but that's true of the South-East generally.

As a starting point, say for 6 months, to rent whilst you get yourself sorted etc, I think it would be an okay place to start. Other towns to look at for renting would be Windsor, Chertsey, Egham, Virginia Water as these all have a direct train service to Staines station.

Cheers,
Nicky

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Dec 11th 2010 at 1:05 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:06 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Is the office in Staines town? To be honest I know it well. Lived in Egham for years but have worked in Staines until very recently.....

I'm a copper and Staines and the surrounding areas keep us busy..

Laleham is nice and a 10 min bus journey but it is expensive.

The town itself is a bit chavvy and nothing to write home about.

I'm quite negative about the area to be honest, I think thats down to the job and dealing with drunks, violence and vomit Friday/Saturday night in Staines town.

If work is in town and you're planning on train then look at Chertsey (not so chavvy), I second Virginia Water, nice but again pricey. Datchett is nice (or used to be not been there for ages) and it is 2 stops on the train
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:43 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by russmcp
I'm quite negative about the area to be honest, I think thats down to the job and dealing with drunks, violence and vomit Friday/Saturday night in Staines town.
You've just described almost every town in the UK.

We live in Laleham and love it.

And - by the way - thank you Mr. Copper. We appreciate all you do.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think the main thing is to try and find somewhere you will really enjoy. You're making a big change here and it's going to be tough anyway at first.

The last time you were in the UK, you lived in lovely places surrounded by lovely scenery (yay for the north!) so I just worry about how hard it will be if you find yourself in a crappy area where rents are so high that you can't afford anything nice.

I don't know anything about that area, so I don't know if 'nice' is doable - if it isn't, there's nothing to stop you saying 'thanks but no thanks' and sticking with your original plan to live where you want.

I hope you don't mind me saying all this - it's just that everyone else seems to think this is a no-brainer and I can't help being a little more cautious about something that so dramatically changes your circumstances.
I totally agree Sally, which is why I didn't bite their arm off.

I don't want to live in an industrial area with smog and fumes and ugliness.

I really do have to live in a nice place. Some people seem to think it's do-able on here, others don't.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by russmcp
Is the office in Staines town? To be honest I know it well. Lived in Egham for years but have worked in Staines until very recently.....

I'm a copper and Staines and the surrounding areas keep us busy..

Laleham is nice and a 10 min bus journey but it is expensive.

The town itself is a bit chavvy and nothing to write home about.

If work is in town and you're planning on train then look at Chertsey (not so chavvy), I second Virginia Water, nice but again pricey. Datchett is nice (or used to be not been there for ages) and it is 2 stops on the train
Hi Mr Bobby on the beat!!

It is in Bedfont Road, Staines, which seems to be a massive road south of Heathrow.

You may as well be talking about the moon, as none of these places have ever been visited by me and I have only barely heard of a few of them.

Thank you for your input.

I hear your negativity which is probably why you have more than a few posts on the Australia forum.

Happens here in Australia too, though I have no idea of the comparison ratio to the UK. Smaller population = less fighting drunks? I don't have a clue.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree Sally, which is why I didn't bite their arm off.

I don't want to live in an industrial area with smog and fumes and ugliness.

I really do have to live in a nice place. Some people seem to think it's do-able on here, others don't.
It's always easier to find a job when you have one, so if you go with the flow and take the Staines job and live life in a one bed or studio near by till you either
a, find a nicer area to live and keep the job. Or
b, apply to other jobs in areas you prefer and move there once you find the right one.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's always easier to find a job when you have one, so if you go with the flow and take the Staines job and live life in a one bed or studio near by till you either
a, find a nicer area to live and keep the job. Or
b, apply to other jobs in areas you prefer and move there once you find the right one.
Thats kind of along the lines of what I have been thinking, I could even share SHORT TERM like ED/Peigi did in Scotland. My sister is looking into sheltered housing for me as she is very knowledgeable in that department.

Of course if the pay is 2/- a week it will be back to the original plan.......we shall see over the next few days......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.