Staffordshire anyone?

Old Jul 11th 2019, 2:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Staffordshire anyone?

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
We only have half an acre but it becomes a chore after a while.

I agree with this. We have a 1/3rd acre and a 4 bed house. What once were past-times turn into never ending chores. I seem to be always cleaning or weeding.
I love the space just not the work. Easy care is what is needed.

Originally Posted by goonergirl
unfortunately being born in the 1950’s means no pension for me until age 66
We are of the same superb vintage.

Back to painting the decks.............

Old Jul 11th 2019, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bevs,
Yes isn’t it funny that as we get to be a “superb vintage” (I love that!), the large house and all that comes with it loses it’s attraction somewhat. This old gal was born in a council flat in the not so posh part of Chiswick. I can’t imagine what my Grandad would have said to his granddaughter having more than one loo lol.

Good luck with the decks!
Old Jul 11th 2019, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Hi Brits1,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had not thought of Herefordshire and I will certainly look into that county with special emphasis on the transport links.
Having looked at many of the areas you mention, we are falling into the trap of our dollars not stretching to the type of house we would like to buy in much of the south. I’m also looking at Devon, some nice property in our price range around Barnstaple. However, I’m interested in why you prefer Herefordshire to Staffordshire - having never been to either, I’d welcome your feedback. Thanks!
Hi, for me there really are not so many 'not great areas" in this county, your close to a lot ie Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wales and also south Shropshire, wonderful countryside, market towns.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
We're envious of the US sizes. One day we'd like to move over there! We had a tiny 2 bed semi in the UK (rented).
We want a big american kitchen with an island and big double garage
double sinks in the bathroom also!
I don't know why people get envious about the US sizes and as others have said, it just ends up being more work and money. Here in Ireland it also used to be an obsession and everyone wanted a bigger house than the neighbour. Every bedroom with ensuite, driveway for 10 cars. When I look at my cousin she complains that after a few years the kitchen is boring and outdated, the driveway needs new tarmac which can cost 20K+ and nobody is interested in gardening. I personally love the outdoor space we have but find a smaller house with a good layout far better than some soulless large building.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 11th 2019 at 10:47 am.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute

You absolutely have a point. I think that when our children were younger it would have been nicer to have more space than we had at the time, but we did quite well enough in the UK in a bog standard average house. However, now I’m older with no kids at home, it can become more of a chore than I would like, and somewhat detracts from the enjoyment of the home.

However, it’s very difficult to find anything under 2500 sq ft in this part of the world. The houses here are simply just large and ours is one of the smallest in our neighborhood. It’s just the American way I guess!
Old Jul 11th 2019, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife mentioned Stafford and Stone are not so great areas.

Lichfield as mentioned, Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield and Burntwood (close to Lichfield but more affordable) are the most affluent nicer areas.

Good luck with the search and move. Fell free to ask more questions.

Of course there are beautiful areas in Wales where my Father lives. They have a quaint 18th century cottage in North Wales. Like a postcard!
But they are kind of cut off from civilization. (they can't even get a mobile phone signal and no piped gas).
Old Jul 11th 2019, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Your info has been invaluable, much appreciated!