Staffordshire anyone?

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Staffordshire anyone?

Hi everyone! Planning a move back home with US husband in 2020/21. Unfortunately our US house has not appreciated at the same rate as UK property and we find ourselves scouting out (remotely) new places to live in the UK, as returning to Berkshire is not financially viable. We have been looking (via Rightmove) at property in Staffordshire, particularly around Stafford, Stone or Cannock. House prices seem reasonable and this area is well served with train links to Oxfordshire and Berkshire where family live.
Property in Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire also looks good but train links are more laborious and expensive. We will both be retired and just want a relatively quiet location with good access to public transport and amenities within a reasonable distance.
Does anyone have any experience of Staffordshire - would welcome your views.

Old Jul 4th 2019, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staffordshire anyone?

Hi, I prefer Herefordshire and Shropshire to Staffordshire, further south Somerset and Wilshire offer good house prices. Dorset is just lovely but very expensive, there are some good affordable areas neari ish to Southampton, it's a good area as it has other cities near by ie Winchester, Salisbury,, Christchurch and Bournemouth (although not a city has a good array of shops, bars etc and a great beach) they are also very nice areas, they all have good links to London.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brits1,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had not thought of Herefordshire and I will certainly look into that county with special emphasis on the transport links.
Having looked at many of the areas you mention, we are falling into the trap of our dollars not stretching to the type of house we would like to buy in much of the south. I’m also looking at Devon, some nice property in our price range around Barnstaple. However, I’m interested in why you prefer Herefordshire to Staffordshire - having never been to either, I’d welcome your feedback. Thanks!
Old Jul 9th 2019, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Kamalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Hi everyone! Planning a move back home with US husband in 2020/21. Unfortunately our US house has not appreciated at the same rate as UK property and we find ourselves scouting out (remotely) new places to live in the UK, as returning to Berkshire is not financially viable. We have been looking (via Rightmove) at property in Staffordshire, particularly around Stafford, Stone or Cannock. House prices seem reasonable and this area is well served with train links to Oxfordshire and Berkshire where family live.
Property in Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire also looks good but train links are more laborious and expensive. We will both be retired and just want a relatively quiet location with good access to public transport and amenities within a reasonable distance.
Does anyone have any experience of Staffordshire - would welcome your views.
I'm from Cannock , nice location, obviously you get the rough areas just like anywhere, but its convenient for shopping and getting trains to other places.
Moving back there myself from Alberta very soon.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Kamalia, any particular places to avoid in or around Cannock?
Old Jul 10th 2019, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

We just left the UK after spending 5 years in Lichfield. This was our favourite place, especially aroud Boley Park. We rented a small 2 bed semi.

Lovely parks, friendly people, nice communities, lots of green parks, 2 trains stations that will get you anywhere. Right off the A38/M6 also.

One of the nicest places in Staffs - better than Cannock imo
Old Jul 10th 2019, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you so much! I’ve just set up a Rightmove alert to check on property prices. Input like yours is really valuable.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. Just avoid the other area of Lichfield around Dimbles Lane. Big contrast.
Best places are around Boley park. Really safe. Great for kids also.
Lovely centre with markets and nice restaurants.

Good for retirees also.

I lived down Abbotsford Road. Coop/Lidl/Aldi/Tesco/Waitrose etc all in Lichfield.

But Lichfield is quite expensive. You get what you pay for by location
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Always useful to know which parts to avoid - how wonderful that they still have a market! This will be our retirement move, hopefully our last. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always useful to know which parts to avoid - how wonderful that they still have a market! This will be our retirement move, hopefully our last. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
This is where my parents retired to. (and they are really picky!). Warren Close. Have a look on Google maps/earth.

Tamworth is just down the road with all the big department stores like John Lewis etc
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Just taken a look - very nice indeed. We have a budget of around the 250k mark, and I think we could achieve something nice in that area. Of course, we’re going to have to get used to smaller properties, but to be honest, I’m fed up of cleaning my US home, I’m looking forward to something easier to maintain I’m also hopeful that property prices won’t rise too much in the next 12 months as well.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Prices are not going anywhere due to Brexit and the GBP is the lowest historically for you to buy.
You are in the best position now. I would buy GBP now and stockpile it if you can before Oct. (but what will happen after 31st Oct is anyone's guess)

We have the opposite problem, our savings in GBP and trying to buy USD for our house!! Brexit has just killed the GBP.

250k should buy you a 2 or 3 bed house. 3 bed lower scale or a nice 2 bed for 250k.

We're envious of the US sizes. One day we'd like to move over there! We had a tiny 2 bed semi in the UK (rented).
We want a big american kitchen with an island and big double garage
double sinks in the bathroom also!
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Well you might like mine lol. Got all of that mentioned, plus a media room and 2 masters. However as much as we’ve enjoyed it, it’s now getting too big and I find myself spending too much time on housework etc. Hubby has also started to moan about mowing the lawn (even though he has a ride on mower). We only have half an acre but it becomes a chore after a while.

I wish we could buy sterling now, but all these plans are based on the sale of the US house. I’m still working and plan to do so for a few more months, unfortunately being born in the 1950’s means no pension for me until age 66, so want to work for a little while longer whilst I still can. We plan to market it early next spring, so fingers crossed.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well you might like mine lol. Got all of that mentioned, plus a media room and 2 masters. However as much as we’ve enjoyed it, it’s now getting too big and I find myself spending too much time on housework etc. Hubby has also started to moan about mowing the lawn (even though he has a ride on mower). We only have half an acre but it becomes a chore after a while.

I wish we could buy sterling now, but all these plans are based on the sale of the US house. I’m still working and plan to do so for a few more months, unfortunately being born in the 1950’s means no pension for me until age 66, so want to work for a little while longer whilst I still can. We plan to market it early next spring, so fingers crossed.
Now I'm really jealous. I have a 9year old son and small dog. Your house sounds like a dream house for us.
Always watching the programs 'list it or live it, the chicago duo and the 2 twins in Canada renovating.
The buyers are always saying 'ohh a bit cramp' omg it's 5 times bigger than ours!

Old Jul 10th 2019, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

American kitchens are great, all the mod cons, plus the number of bathrooms in the average house is a real luxury. I must admit it’s been wonderful living here and we are just average Joe’s but you get an awful lot for your money in our area (south West Virginia). The downside is the property prices don’t rise at the rate of the UK, so we will have to dig into savings to get anything decent back home. Not complaining at all, it’s been a blast and I wouldn’t have missed out on the experience. Do you have any experience of Stafford or Stone? Just a bit further north but some nice property in our price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.