British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   St. Patrick's Day.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/st-patricks-day-597149/)

Islandgurl Mar 12th 2009 4:24 pm

St. Patrick's Day..

I'm planning a pub crawl of all the nearest Irish pubs I can find to celebrate my upcoming unemployment:frown:...anyone else? I just started a few weeks ago, but being put through the miller with them taking exception to all my 'foreign' travel back home...and here I was thinking UK was friendly..:confused:

tonrob Mar 12th 2009 4:34 pm

Re: St. Patrick's Day..

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7372519)
I'm planning a pub crawl of all the nearest Irish pubs I can find to celebrate my upcoming unemployment:frown:...anyone else? I just started a few weeks ago, but being put through the miller with them taking exception to all my 'foreign' travel back home...and here I was thinking UK was friendly..:confused:

I'll be setting up camp in an Irish pub in Boston this weekend, but for Six Nations watching purposes. :beer:

Sorry to hear about the twatty employer situation though! :frown:

Islandgurl Mar 12th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7372556)
I'll be setting up camp in an Irish pub in Boston this weekend, but for Six Nations watching purposes. :beer:

I got laid off in Jan..was lucky enough to pick up a another job within 2 weeks...but since its federal contractor, I need clearance,and employment is contingent on that....and I have a LOT of trips..:eek:

Bob Mar 12th 2009 9:32 pm

Paddys day is shite....filled with plastic paddy's poncing around asking if you celebrate it back in England.

Meh...and I've got to drive to Worcester to take the missus to some work class thing too, double pain in the arse.....Worcester and paddy's day.

Chi_town Mar 13th 2009 6:11 pm

Oh look, I am Irish and 'dread' St Patrick's day here (or St Patty's day as it's sometimes called, whatever!) Anyway I really try to keep a low profile that day because as soon as I open my mouth people pounce on me with inane questions about wee men and pots of gold (sigh)!

To make it worse this year my son has a cub scouts event on Tuesday night that we have to attend. So cue loads of silly comments about drunken Irish and questions about whether we are still 'at war' with the British Oh, and my favorite: RANDOM PERSON : 'Well, I am Irish too' ME: 'Really, where are you from?' RP 'Oh. My Great-Grandfather was from Mayo.....'

I know I sound grumpy about it but oh boy after 5 years it gets so, so old....

SpoogleDrummer Mar 13th 2009 7:23 pm

It makes me laugh how many people are suddenly Irish when it comes around. My dad was born in Dublin but I don't think I've ever celebrated it as I'm not Irish, I was drunk once or twice on the day but was a student so was drunk every day anyways and Guinness has always been my drink of choice.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 13th 2009 7:32 pm

I do not consider myself a fully blown Irish person but my Dad was born and grew up in Cork and left when he was 13 to come to England.

I was born in England of an Irish father and an English mother. I have always considered myself as a kind of half and half. But all my life was a kind of half and half

Thousands of Irish relatives that we are all in touch with ........ thousands more that we aren't .......... the sayings ........ the expressions ............ the blasphemy that was and isn't ever considered as bad as the English swearing - Jesus Mary and Joseph ........ the crack ....... the songs.
My Granny who permanently had her radio tuned into Radio Dublin and wouldn't let me listen to the top 40 for fear that she wouldn't find the right setting again.
The irish who came over for holidays and funerals with strange coins in their pockets and accents that you could cut with a knife.

My cousin who asked her mother to buy her something in England.
My Aunt who replied "I will in me hole I will"
Another Aunt who told somebody "I'll take me hand off yer face one day."

I love it ....... all of it !

ironporer Mar 13th 2009 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chi_town (Post 7376497)
Oh look, I am Irish and 'dread' St Patrick's day here (or St Patty's day as it's sometimes called, whatever!) Anyway I really try to keep a low profile that day because as soon as I open my mouth people pounce on me with inane questions about wee men and pots of gold (sigh)!

To make it worse this year my son has a cub scouts event on Tuesday night that we have to attend. So cue loads of silly comments about drunken Irish and questions about whether we are still 'at war' with the British Oh, and my favorite: RANDOM PERSON : 'Well, I am Irish too' ME: 'Really, where are you from?' RP 'Oh. My Great-Grandfather was from Mayo.....'

I know I sound grumpy about it but oh boy after 5 years it gets so, so old....

Make sure you cook a 'Traditional Irish Meal'...Corned Beef and cabbage.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...-irish-048.gif

Octang Frye Mar 13th 2009 9:23 pm

You mean craic, right, not crack?

I'm working the door at the Irish Snug on Colfax tomorrow night. Don't give me any trouble unless you want a pop with my shillelagh.

Norri Mar 13th 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7376682)
I was born in England of an Irish father and an English mother. I have always considered myself as a kind of half and half. But all my life was a kind of half and half
I love it ....... all of it !

you certainly sound Irish:D

Patrick Hasler Mar 13th 2009 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7372556)

What ya doin in Boston then yer old tart ?
Thought you dwelled in California :confused:

Anyway ... I will be working more than likely :(

tonrob Mar 14th 2009 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7377135)
What ya doin in Boston then yer old tart ?
Thought you dwelled in California :confused:

Anyway ... I will be working more than likely :(

California? Nah, not me! You must be mixing me up with that other tonrob - you know, the sprout-eating puff.

Boston's just up the road from me (well, an hour and a half). I live near Springfield.

cindyabs Mar 14th 2009 8:27 am

The party started in Savannah last week and will continue on through the 17th. Big stuff here.

Oh yeah Mandy Moore and whoever she took up with again got married here last week. that's my ET nugget for the week.

Patrick Hasler Mar 14th 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7377563)
California? Nah, not me! You must be mixing me up with that other tonrob - you know, the sprout-eating puff.

Boston's just up the road from me (well, an hour and a half). I live near Springfield.

OMG :ohmy:

Thats really worrying ! ... You live that close to me :ohmy: And very close to one of my other FB friends :ohmy:

tonrob Mar 14th 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7378429)
OMG :ohmy:

Thats really worrying ! ... You live that close to me :ohmy: And very close to one of my other FB friends :ohmy:

If it's who I think it is (Easthampton?) then I know him - we go of for beers quite often.