Reload this Page >

Spouse visa: overseas income

Spouse visa: overseas income

Old May 16th 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

TazCaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa: overseas income

Hi everyone,

I have joined my UK-citizen partner (now husband) in the UK and I am on a 2.5 year spouse visa. I am currently working in a contract role in the UK, but may have the opportunity to work remotely for an organisation based in the US when my contract is over (I am a freelance writer and editor so remote work is normal). This would be a permanent and ongoing role.

Can anyone tell me if this is allowed on a spouse visa and what the tax implications are as a non-UK resident? I obviously want to make sure it's above board with the HMRS and I'm not in danger of compromising my visa.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 16th 2018, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse visa: overseas income

Thats a tough one and you may be well advised to write to, or talk, to HMRC and the Immigration services regarding your tax and status implications for your spousal visa.
Old May 16th 2018, 11:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa: overseas income

The company may be based in the US but providing you continue to live in the UK you'll still be UK resident for tax purposes so you'll need to complete a self-assessment tax declaration for your worldwide income and HMRC will tax you accordingly. A spouse visa permits you to work or not work as you decide so there's no implication for your immigration status. You'll need to meet the financial requirements when you wish to renew or apply for ILR; you can use either your husband's income, your income or a combination or both.