Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa inside or outside the uk?

Spouse visa inside or outside the uk?

Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Spouse visa inside or outside the uk?

Does anyone know which way is quicker? I had a look at the website and I know from Canada it seems to be between 3-6 months. This is where we are both living at the moment. If I manage to line up a job first would it be quicker for us to consider me going over first and apply from the uk?

We plan to take the get a job first route and then apply. I am the brit citizen and hubby Canadian.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa inside or outside the uk?

Assuming from your question you are in employment and looking to use your regualr salary to fulfil the financial requirements to sponsor your husband.
I can't imagine it would be faster if you move first. As soon as you move then there is a 12 month period where you need to remain in employment in the UK before you can apply (6 months if you move on an internal transfer and the UKBA recognise that as not being a change of employer).
So the Canadian processing times would need to be 15-18 months, assuming that the UK processing is 3-6.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
If I manage to line up a job first would it be quicker for us to consider me going over first and apply from the uk?
You wouldn't be applying from the UK either way - your husband would need to apply in Canada in both cases.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I did not realize we would need to apply from the Canada end but that makes sense.

oh my goodness, that long! :-( So even if I have been working in Canada in 12 months that would not count?

I assumed if it was possible to line up a job in the uk whilst still working in Canada that we could apply straight away and was looking at 3-6 months.

My company is international and has a few offices around the UK so i am considering an internal move if I can get a position in my field. I wonder if you have to secure permanent employment to apply for your spouse or would a 1 year contract job be enough as well?

Last edited by KerinaK2008; Mar 8th 2013 at 3:48 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply while you are still working in Canada and have a job lined up in the UK then you're only looking at the processing time (hopefully 3-6 months). The minute you relocate to the UK slightly different rules come into place and you need to wait at least 6 months before you can apply.

Take a look through the wiki (link below) for an idea of the actual requirements to check whether you meet them and for links to the relevant pages on the UKBA site.