Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

spouse(AMerican) and UK Citizenship

spouse(AMerican) and UK Citizenship

Old Mar 9th 2018, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

nhgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spouse(AMerican) and UK Citizenship

Hi been a while since I posted on the forum, because we are still trying to work out how to move our 401k to UK and not have to leave it here.

My wife is an American Citizen and was wondering if she could take on British citizenship to avoid all the visa stuff weve read about. I am British, and have been told my UK Passport should get me into the country, Ive been here twenty years, and remain British, I never took on US citizenship, but have the Green Card and Permanent Residence. I realize Id have to give that up when we can move back, we can reach the 18500;00 pounds needed for the first year, but are unable to say when we can move. We need a UK address and that is another problem, as we are both retired, and she is disabled, it seems I would have to come over and find a place then come back get packed and bring her back.
Jut as an aside, is it possible to ask a customs or immigration officer for the visa at the local airport, and which paperwork would be needed.

Thanks
Jim.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 9th 2018 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Email removed - pls don't put personal info on the forum, it's a public one, thx.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 5:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse(AMerican) and UK Citizenship

Unless your wife has very recent British, or recent Irish, Italian, Hungarian, or Polish ancestry then there is no way for her to get any sort of citizenship that would allow her to live in the UK without going through "all the visa stuff", and the only way for your wife to get a visa to live in the UK is to apply ahead of time - allow about three months.

A 401k cannot be "transferred" to the UK, other than by cashing it out and taking a huge tax hit.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 5:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse(AMerican) and UK Citizenship

Being married doesn't mean your wife can automatically gain British citizenship. That hasn't been the case since 1949. She will need to live in the UK for at least five years first. You also can't apply for a visa at the border or from within the UK - your wife will have to lodge her spouse visa application from the US. Unless she has recent British, Irish or other European ancestry (parents, grandparents or in some cases great-grandparents) then she will need a visa to come and live in the UK.

It's recommended that you become a US citizen before you move back to leave that door open to you should you ever need to return, even temporarily. Becoming a US citizen has zero effect on your British citizenship.

As you are already aware there are financial requirements which you will need to fulfil to sponsor your wife. If you are considering cashing out your 401K and the total after doing so is above £62,500 then you can use that money to fulfil the financial requirements once you have held it for six months.

You will need to arrange accommodation before applying for the visa and provide evidence of this - this can be temporary, for instance a let or staying with friends, until you can make organise a more permanent solution.