Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole

Wikiposts

Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole

Old May 19th 2007, 5:23 am
Account Closed

sarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to all
Default Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole

Why do people laugh when I say "I love spotted dick?"

and again when I enjoy "Toad in the Hole"

American peeps have smutty minds
Old May 19th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole

My missus make awesome Toad in the hole
Old May 19th 2007, 7:40 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahjackson

Why do you think? I can't imagine any time when you would need to say it but Brits seem to say it HERE often although I have NEVER heard it come up (no pun intended!) in the UK, EVER!!! Apart from school and then all the boys sniggered.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Toad in a hole ..whats funny ...
Old May 19th 2007, 9:20 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Cute
Old May 19th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahjackson

Not in TX
Only me
Old May 19th 2007, 2:41 pm
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Not in TX
Only me

I hear Brits saying it all the time and then looking round to see if they got a reaction. They don't usually in New York, people know what it is but wonder why the Brits like saying it so much
Old May 20th 2007, 8:15 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I hear Brits saying it all the time and then looking round to see if they got a reaction. They don't usually in New York, people know what it is but wonder why the Brits like saying it so much
'Cuz it harks back to the Bubonic Plague?
Old May 20th 2007, 10:34 am
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by cindyabs
'Cuz it harks back to the Bubonic Plague?

OK That's a reason

I heard a young woman last week in a bar/pub say loudly that it wasn't a PROPER pub as there was no spotted dick on the menu. She then looked around to see the reaction! Her regional accent was so strong I was surprised the Americans understood her but one of them told her it was an American pub so no reason for it to be, but it was on the menu at Tea and Sympathy in the West Village. He said he had never heard any one order it as the Brits all say they hated it at school. She did not even thank him! Bah!
Old May 20th 2007, 11:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

OK That's a reason

I heard a young woman last week in a bar/pub say loudly that it wasn't a PROPER pub as there was no spotted dick on the menu. She then looked around to see the reaction! Her regional accent was so strong I was surprised the Americans understood her but one of them told her it was an American pub so no reason for it to be, but it was on the menu at Tea and Sympathy in the West Village. He said he had never heard any one order it as the Brits all say they hated it at school. She did not even thank him! Bah!
This proves my bubonic plague observation.

PS I hate raisins. why ruin a perfectly good grape?
Old May 20th 2007, 11:09 am
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by cindyabs
This proves my bubonic plague observation.

PS I hate raisins. why ruin a perfectly good grape?

I gave you that one I agree about the raisins, they are dead grapes
Old May 21st 2007, 6:15 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave you that one I agree about the raisins, they are dead grapes
Suet AND dead grapes YUCK
Old May 21st 2007, 6:19 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Not in TX
Only me
and me
Old May 21st 2007, 6:25 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Suet AND dead grapes YUCK
Yeah grosso profoundo !
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:50 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about the raisins, they are dead grapes
My son has taken to hiding fresh grapes in warm places then gathering them up when they are brown and shrivelled. Calls it making his own raisins, eughhhhhhhhhh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.