Reload this Page >

sponsering a spouse! needs uk visa

sponsering a spouse! needs uk visa

Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

annieinchina is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy sponsering a spouse! needs uk visa

hey there

I am pretty new here but was really impressed with the feedback i got for may last thread. But still have more questions...so quick update...my husband (who is Chinese) is going to apply for a residency visa for the UK in March. I am a UK national and it has been upto me to learn and research everything i can about what needs to be done to make his visa application successful.

I mentioned last time i was thinking our biggest problem is a financial one, as far as i know you can't have a co sponsor for the UK. someone who can provide finical assitance if needed. which sucks as i am a graduate who is in student debt and have little to no savings and i currently live off a Chinese salary! basically get paid more to do a paper round. I had my step mum who is a lawyer vlounterr to do this for me but as far as i know she can't help?!

Anyway has anyone been in a similar situation....wanting to move with you wfie/husband with lets say a big heart but small wallet? how have you got round it? do i really need to come back by myself and work for a numebr of months and then he should then apply when i am financially stable.

i do have an overdraft and i am in credit this means i have 2500 pounds at my disposal and whilst my savings in china are pretty small right now..i have two other jobs lined up so in fact i should be able to save 3000 by this summer (i hope) as outgoings are nothing over here. but does it matter how much you intend to save for the time of going away or just at the time of application? and he has soem money comign in as a payment for ex-athletes this will be 40000 yuan which only trasnfers into 2900 pounds..does this count for anything? when it may also only be avilable after we have made the application?

was going to write some a budget sheets up with letters and contracts from my current employers in Chian to show how i intend to save this money! As know about the whole stay with family pay rent thing so i have got that sorted.

also my dad can guarantee my husband a job in his business..and i am also on the current look out for jobs and think this won't be a probelm.

so by proving we both have jobs albeit not that well paid...would that be enough evidence for financial security????

please help..any advice ...i have scanned loads and loads of websites including that ukyankee one but no one seems to have this specific problem that i have found!

thanks in advance

Annie
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:58 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsering a spouse! needs uk visa

Originally Posted by annieinchina
hey there

I am pretty new here but was really impressed with the feedback i got for may last thread. But still have more questions...so quick update...my husband (who is Chinese) is going to apply for a residency visa for the UK in March. I am a UK national and it has been upto me to learn and research everything i can about what needs to be done to make his visa application successful.

I mentioned last time i was thinking our biggest problem is a financial one, as far as i know you can't have a co sponsor for the UK. someone who can provide finical assitance if needed. which sucks as i am a graduate who is in student debt and have little to no savings and i currently live off a Chinese salary! basically get paid more to do a paper round. I had my step mum who is a lawyer vlounterr to do this for me but as far as i know she can't help?!

Anyway has anyone been in a similar situation....wanting to move with you wfie/husband with lets say a big heart but small wallet? how have you got round it? do i really need to come back by myself and work for a numebr of months and then he should then apply when i am financially stable.

i do have an overdraft and i am in credit this means i have 2500 pounds at my disposal and whilst my savings in china are pretty small right now..i have two other jobs lined up so in fact i should be able to save 3000 by this summer (i hope) as outgoings are nothing over here. but does it matter how much you intend to save for the time of going away or just at the time of application? and he has soem money comign in as a payment for ex-athletes this will be 40000 yuan which only trasnfers into 2900 pounds..does this count for anything? when it may also only be avilable after we have made the application?

was going to write some a budget sheets up with letters and contracts from my current employers in Chian to show how i intend to save this money! As know about the whole stay with family pay rent thing so i have got that sorted.

also my dad can guarantee my husband a job in his business..and i am also on the current look out for jobs and think this won't be a probelm.

so by proving we both have jobs albeit not that well paid...would that be enough evidence for financial security????

please help..any advice ...i have scanned loads and loads of websites including that ukyankee one but no one seems to have this specific problem that i have found!

thanks in advance

Annie
So long as you can knock up a budget to go with your visa app, that covers rent, travel costs and utility bills, with at least 92 quid (or thereabouts) left over at the end of every week you should be in good shape. This according to the immigration officers who volunteer on UK-Yankee. We are in the same situation. Make the budget reflect your expected earnings of course. Your husbands letter of employment must show the net annual amount he will earn and the budget must tally with this. 2500 is more than we have but, again, according to the immigration officers on UK-Yankee, job offers go a long way.

Best bet would be for you to have a job offer also. If your mum is a lawyer is there no way she could use you as admin staff at her office for the first year or so after you return home? And perhaps if you could stay at your folks place until you secure your own accommodation, that would help. People are tending to confirm that they will be paying between 350 and 400 a month in rent and maybe half the monthly bills. If you can stay with parents or friends it will make it much easier to create a reasonable budget.

Realistically I would certainly put plans to study on your return firmly on the back burner with regards to your visa app. Studying will eat up all of your financial resources and this wont look good to immigration. As i said though, register with UK-Yankee to clarify ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you are unsure about before making the app. The regs change quite often so don't rely on information that may be even two or three months old.

All the best.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
So long as you can knock up a budget to go with your visa app, that covers rent, travel costs and utility bills, with at least 92 quid (or thereabouts) left over at the end of every week you should be in good shape. This according to the immigration officers who volunteer on UK-Yankee. We are in the same situation. Make the budget reflect your expected earnings of course. Your husbands letter of employment must show the net annual amount he will earn and the budget must tally with this. 2500 is more than we have but, again, according to the immigration officers on UK-Yankee, job offers go a long way.

Best bet would be for you to have a job offer also. If your mum is a lawyer is there no way she could use you as admin staff at her office for the first year or so after you return home? And perhaps if you could stay at your folks place until you secure your own accommodation, that would help. People are tending to confirm that they will be paying between 350 and 400 a month in rent and maybe half the monthly bills. If you can stay with parents or friends it will make it much easier to create a reasonable budget.

Realistically I would certainly put plans to study on your return firmly on the back burner with regards to your visa app. Studying will eat up all of your financial resources and this wont look good to immigration. As i said though, register with UK-Yankee to clarify ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you are unsure about before making the app. The regs change quite often so don't rely on information that may be even two or three months old.

All the best.
thanks, sillysod nwho is actually not so silly! I also understood what yous aid fromt he ukyankee as well...i think your the only person i ahve heard from goign through the same kind of thing and it is comforting to know.

i have already started writing u[pa budget plan whilst in china and post china. do you know much about how to give evidence of the job offers as i heard you have to make it as crediable as possible, and whilst this is a definate offer...is just a letter from the employer enough stating salary, term, reasons etc. suffice?

how about taking out a loan or something? don't suppose that would help at all???

have you applied already for your wifes visa?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, sillysod nwho is actually not so silly! I also understood what yous aid fromt he ukyankee as well...i think your the only person i ahve heard from goign through the same kind of thing and it is comforting to know.

i have already started writing u[pa budget plan whilst in china and post china. do you know much about how to give evidence of the job offers as i heard you have to make it as crediable as possible, and whilst this is a definate offer...is just a letter from the employer enough stating salary, term, reasons etc. suffice?

how about taking out a loan or something? don't suppose that would help at all???

My understand is that a letter is enough, especially if it's on the company letter head.

I don't think that taking out a loan is a good idea, as then you'll have to show how you'll pay it back.

I would look to see if you could stay with family, for which then you'll have to get a letter from them stating so and the size of the place.

And then if you could get a tentative offer of employment on a company letter head, that would also be good.

Then remember to note any qualifications you have as that goes some way to indicate future earnings.

Good luck.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:29 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

What Dave_Was says seems about right. Get letters of job offers, ideally on company letter head, stating length of contract and net annual income. Also, again, provide evidence of a place to stay. If it is with your folks and they own the house you will need copies of their mortgage documents etc. Also you must show that there is enough room for you both without causing overcrowding.

I think a loan would be very counter productive as this, I would imgaine, would be seen as debt, rather than savings. If you have a place to stay and job offers you are on your way. As dave says include your qualifications. We are also going to include my wifes CV to show her employability, even though she has a job offer.

We havent applied yet but are getting close. For us you cant plan too carefully. So much is at stake that it is best to do as much research as possible. On UK-Yankee there are lists of what others who have been successful have done, what documentation they supplied and examples of budgets. Watch out of updates from VictoriaS and Garry as they both know their onions.

Best advice is to get on there and make a tick list of everything you will need and then start to tick things off as you go.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to note is that the actual required documents aren't that many. It's more that most people are now providing information before it's asked for, etc.

I know friends who applied a couple of years back and all that they gave were paystubs, bankstatements, living arrangements, letters between the couple, marriage certificates and photographs.

Now it seems that people are supplying budgets, etc.

I suppose if there is anything that you can do to remove doubt from the Clearance Officers mind, is a good thing.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:06 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
One thing to note is that the actual required documents aren't that many. It's more that most people are now providing information before it's asked for, etc.

I know friends who applied a couple of years back and all that they gave were paystubs, bankstatements, living arrangements, letters between the couple, marriage certificates and photographs.

Now it seems that people are supplying budgets, etc.

I suppose if there is anything that you can do to remove doubt from the Clearance Officers mind, is a good thing.
Agreed. It is better to have more stuff than you need rather than less. Also, every case is based on individual merits so the 'rules', as it were, are largely generic.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Ok that all sounds like good advice....yeah i think aloan would be a bad idea! I wnat to apply at the end of march..have you heard there may be changes to the visa cost and application after april? Although only finish my contract at the end of june so depending on or if we get the visa it won't leave us time to be flexiable abotu our deperture.

good luck with your visa too by the way 'silly sod'.I know what you mean this visa thing is constant pain in the arse and is caasing the both of us a lot of stress. i've read from some people that doing the whole is a great way to test whether your realtionship is strong or not..i can definetly emphaise with this. gto 3 jobs at the moment trying to save enough money for all of this!