Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A spin of Flea's nursing job thread

Wikiposts

A spin of Flea's nursing job thread

Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default A spin of Flea's nursing job thread

So I trained as a nurse in UK and have a plastic card thing with a UKCC number on. But I know things change. I haven't worked in UK as a nurse for 15 years and have a valid California nurse license and have worked here (I'm going back soon as Dd is getting older) I've been doing my continuing education here and have all my paperwork.
How do I get back on the role or whatever it's called and get a PIN in the UK?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:46 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A spin of Flea's nursing job thread

UKCC has now become NMC

http://www.nmc-uk.org/

This might help...

http://www.nmc-uk.org/aArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2794

Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the info is there somewhere thanks.
I can't get a lot of it to open I'll try it again later.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

What area of nursing are you in?

Have you had a look at www.jobs.nhs.uk yet most nhs jobs are advertised on there.

Good luck
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:57 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Thanks for the link.
I've pretty much done Outpatients/doctors offices and Home visit nursing, district nursing I suppose it similar.
My new problem looking at all this. I trained as an SEN not an RN (That'll show how old I am) no idea if they even have them now, or did everyone convert to RN.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:09 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The UK is desperate for nurses, same as everywhere else but at the moment because of the huge expense of the agenda for change new payscales for nurses, there are many recruitment freezes.
SENs all had to convert to RNs and had to undergo a conversion course, but for anyone out of the NHS for a period of time there will be a Return to Nursing course to complete ( not hard but goes through any changes that might have occured over the years). In my last hospital that was usually around 8 weeks but I don't know if they are all the same.
As mentioned earlier contact the NMC and get the details and start 'phoning around.
Good luck
Terese
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice

Hi
If it helps i have just re-registered on the NMC Register as a RN.I have been out of the UK for 10 years.I rang them explained my situation and they were great.They faxed the forms over and then i faxed them back i was on the register within a couple of days of them recieving all the forms.
You will need your present boss and then someone you work with to sign a form each saying you are of good character.You will also need to contact your registration body in the US and get them to send off a fitness to practice form to the NMC.
There is then a load of forms for you to fill in,saying you have kept up the PREP requirements http://www.nmc-uk.org/aArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2794
The registration dept number is 020 7333 9333
I would have thought you would have to do the return to nursing course but ring them and i am sure they will tell you what you need to do,as i say they were very helpful when i rang to enquire.
Hope that helps
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

From what I have now read online, it seems I need the conversion course from EN to RN. As work hours and experience should count from here, plus the 30 hour recertification's I have to do every other year, luckily I've kept good records.
However trying to find where and how long and the cost of doing a conversion is proving difficult. All I can find are return to nursing classes and classes for international nurses who need a UK license to work. It's getting frustrating.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice

I understand Mummy it can be frustrating finding specific information.,there can be too much on the net!
Maybe try ringing the Human Resources of the NHS Trust where you want to work. I know it means an international phone call but it would probably save you alot of time and they could answer specific questions you have.
Good Luck
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

I'd call if I was closer to getting back, we are a few years out.
I talked to my Mom, she lives by a friend of mine who was a EN same time as me, she did the conversion and is working as an RN now She's going to have her look up what the conversion involves, she's one of the heads in her office now something to do with district nursing. So should have access to info, I hope.
I have to get all my ducks in a row as Dh is a worrier, and won't move if theres anything left undone KWIM.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I did the conversion in 1993, under my own steam, as I wasn't employed by the NHS at that time. I applied directly to the Uni of my choice as an independent student, went through their application process and got a place on the course.

It was quite costly, as I had to fund everything myself and didn't get paid whilst on the clinical placements, but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did career-wise.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

I should have done it back then when I was there like you Coopa-troopa. I was told about it when I was working at a private hospital in 91. Wheres the head thumping smilie?
Oh well hindsight is 20/20 so I'm told
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:02 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about all this stuff as he has always had his since i met him, but i want to wish you luck with sortng it all out.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Fleaflyfloflum
How is your hubbies spouse visa coming along?
My hubbie has filled the online form in,has biometrics on Thursday and then we will post rest of paperwork on Monday.Then the nervous wait begins.
Starting to feel very real now that all the paperwork is done.
Wow that online form was something took us nearly 3 hours to complete but hey needs to be done
Good Luck