Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spat the Dummy! Work in Spain?

Spat the Dummy! Work in Spain?

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:08 am
Merlot

Default Spat the Dummy! Work in Spain?

Ok had a not so good morning with other half, were planning a day together but he has had a better offer !! Men & sport?

Ok, decided to really get my act together for this return trip and just been crusing around Spain and wham, a trillion ideas and opportunities abound!!!!

http://www.britishchamberspain.com for starters, sensible jobs over there, I am impressed.

Anyone done Spain without a blind world of Spainish and survived?

Cheers
M

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:25 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spat the Dummy! Work in Spain?

Originally posted by Merlot
Ok had a not so good morning with other half, were planning a day together but he has had a better offer !! Men & sport?

Ok, decided to really get my act together for this return trip and just been crusing around Spain and wham, a trillion ideas and opportunities abound!!!!

http://www.britishchamberspain.com for starters, sensible jobs over there, I am impressed.

Anyone done Spain without a blind world of Spainish and survived?

Cheers
M
Hi Merlot....naughty hubby......what sport could beat the offer of intimate company with a woman??

anyway.........done Spain, lived in Castellon de la Plana during 96/97.....and from my experience you will struggle anywhere but the tourist areas with no Espanol I'm afraid....

There are a total of 7 regional variations in the local language in Spain...thus even those with Castellano (Spanish as you and I know it) will struggle in certain areas such as the North where Catalan is traditionally spoken. Best areas are Costa del Sol...loads of Brits, or areas such as the Canaries...(won't fail to find Brits there) and places such as Marbella, Alicante etc. Work is lower paid and less skilled than in the UK, but the pace of life suits most people. Anything outside the tourist industry and you'll need Castellano at least...though the Spaniards are very welcoming and patient if you try to speak their language...they will enjoy helping you learn !!!

Good luck, Rich.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:30 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Merlot....naughty hubby......what sport could beat the offer of intimate company with a woman??

anyway.........done Spain, lived in Castellon de la Plana during 96/97.....and from my experience you will struggle anywhere but the tourist areas with no Espanol I'm afraid....

There are a total of 7 regional variations in the local language in Spain...thus even those with Castellano (Spanish as you and I know it) will struggle in certain areas such as the North where Catalan is traditionally spoken. Best areas are Costa del Sol...loads of Brits, or areas such as the Canaries...(won't fail to find Brits there) and places such as Marbella, Alicante etc. Work is lower paid and less skilled than in the UK, but the pace of life suits most people. Anything outside the tourist industry and you'll need Castellano at least...though the Spaniards are very welcoming and patient if you try to speak their language...they will enjoy helping you learn !!!

Good luck, Rich.
Hi Rich

Umm, men and sport, not going there. Maybe I can make myself look like Sir Alex Ferguson or David Beckham!

Yep my initial excitement of moving to Europe was dampened with further investigations, but as they say "Where there is a will, there is a way!!!!" I guess if you want something bad enough, you will get it.

Cheers for the advice anyway, hope things are good at your end?

M

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:33 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Rich

Umm, men and sport, not going there. Maybe I can make myself look like Sir Alex Ferguson or David Beckham!

Yep my initial excitement of moving to Europe was dampened with further investigations, but as they say "Where there is a will, there is a way!!!!" I guess if you want something bad enough, you will get it.

Cheers for the advice anyway, hope things are good at your end?

M
Hi Merlot.....

sorry but if I found a woman that looked like David Beckham, the last thing I'd do is get intimate with her !!!

Things are ok here...slowly getting bits and pieces around me...but it's slow going without transport...though that may resolve in the next few days.

Rich.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:35 pm
Merlot

Hi Merlot.....

sorry but if I found a woman that looked like David Beckham, the last thing I'd do is get intimate with her !!!

Things are ok here...slowly getting bits and pieces around me...but it's slow going without transport...though that may resolve in the next few days.

Rich.
What bleached blond hair, bandy legs and a lack of intelligence doesn't do it for you?

Have wheels, will travel, good to hear!

M

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:52 pm
Life's next chapter is?

What bleached blond hair, bandy legs and a lack of intelligence doesn't do it for you?

Have wheels, will travel, good to hear!

M
Nah I like a bit more to my women....
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:00 pm
Merlot

Nah I like a bit more to my women....
What more like Michael Owen!!!

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:03 pm
Life's next chapter is?

What more like Michael Owen!!!
Michael Owen ??? :scared:

Carmen Electra in a football kit...now there's a way for me to get interested in sports......

Rich.

Last edited by theguitardoctor; Feb 23rd 2004 at 11:08 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:06 pm
Merlot

:scared:

Carmen Electra in a football kit...now there's a way for me to get interested in sports......

Rich.
Pass the sauce . . . M

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:10 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Pass the sauce . . . M
Oh well, with Carmen Electra (and sauce) in mind...I'm going to dream a pleasant dream and head of to bed.....midnight here in Blighty....

Night night......

Ooh better set the hounds loose in case of muggers

Rich.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Studied/worked in Valencia in 91/92 - but I did have Spanish on my side before I got there.

As GD says, lots of Spaniards speak English - but an awful lot of them don't, especially when you get away from the major commercial centres and tourist zones. But if you headed for an 'English speaking zone' I'm sure you could pick it up. Can you speak any French or Italian? They're all Latin-based (along with a smattering of other languages) so once you know the grammar basics of one, the others are easier to pick up. Regional variations can be a problem, especially with the die-hards in some areas - but again, in any major commercial centres you will not have a problem with 'normal' Spanish.

Spain is a phenomenal country - stunningly beautiful, and in some areas, so wonderfully primitive.

BTW, my friend took a job in Italy early last year as a walking guide (not too sure what that is!) and she couldn't speak a word of Italian before she left. She enrolled in an intensive langugae course and stayed for about 8 months and managed brilliantly. She only spoke Geordie before she left the UK!!

The key if you go is to mix with the locals - even if you end up in a tourist area with loads of Brits, get a flat with some Spaniards. Your language skills will develop best this way.