Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Southerner move 'up north'?

Southerner move 'up north'?

Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Southerner move 'up north'?

I was born and raised just outside Ilkley and had all our children there. Beautiful place and on a sunny day - breathtaking Why oh why did we leave! We will find a way home!!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
.....10 best pubs in North Yorkshire
......what others consider the most scenic drives
......covers some of the highest ground in Yorkshire.
include Upper Swaledale in the drive (Keld), and a pint at Tan Hill Inn, the highest pub in England (and get out of the car and walk over from the pub to Nine Standards Rigg)

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 25th 2012 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am a southerner but went to Leeds University. Northerners tend to say southerners are not friendly but I think that's overstated. My husband's Geordie family are very wary of outsiders (ie anyone outside their city limits).
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:58 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if southerners are friendly because I've never lived there, but here in North Yorkshire, the friendliness and kindness of strangers is a daily joy. After living in the New York suburbs where I didn't know any neighbors, we've moved to the exact opposite. Everyone is friendly, everyone has a laugh and a joke all the time, nothing is too much trouble for people. I have chatted more to my neighbors in 6 weeks than I talked to anyone in my street in 13 years. I LOVE it here!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:39 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't know if southerners are friendly because I've never lived there, but here in North Yorkshire, the friendliness and kindness of strangers is a daily joy. After living in the New York suburbs where I didn't know any neighbors, we've moved to the exact opposite. Everyone is friendly, everyone has a laugh and a joke all the time, nothing is too much trouble for people. I have chatted more to my neighbors in 6 weeks than I talked to anyone in my street in 13 years. I LOVE it here!
Sally,

Now I am thinking I should be moving to Yorkshire. Sound great. Glad you are happy to be home.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:19 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am a southerner but went to Leeds University. Northerners tend to say southerners are not friendly but I think that's overstated. My husband's Geordie family are very wary of outsiders (ie anyone outside their city limits).
I did a masters degree at Leeds Uni (dim and distant past) - being a decent Sussex chap, I hadn't wandered further north than the rugged frontier of Oxford before that - I was quite taken aback by the first shopkeeper calling me "love" as in "aaalright love". I thought he was taking the piss out of my burnished southern accent and hinting at me being a poofter, but it did appear to me a normal way for males to interact.

Yorkshiremen - they say what they like, and they like what they bloody-well say (doffs hat to Harry Enfield).
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I did a masters degree at Leeds Uni (dim and distant past) - being a decent Sussex chap, I hadn't wandered further north than the rugged frontier of Oxford before that - I was quite taken aback by the first shopkeeper calling me "love" as in "aaalright love". I thought he was taking the piss out of my burnished southern accent and hinting at me being a poofter, but it did appear to me a normal way for males to interact.

Yorkshiremen - they say what they like, and they like what they bloody-well say (doffs hat to Harry Enfield).
Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

If they use the term "old love" to address you, it means that they are annoyed with you, like "listen here old love". In these circumstances, you can usually tell by the tone of voice and it is better to make yourself scarce rather than hanging around for a translation. Sometimes they say, "you can tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much".

And don't forget the official Yorkshireman's motto (translation provided on request):

'Ear all, see all, say nowt; Sup all, eyt all, pay nowt; And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt - Do it fer thissen"

Like I said on another thread, many think that a Yorkshireman is nothing more than a Scotsman with all of the generosity squeezed out of him. I would like to think that we are just "careful".

Last edited by johnh009; Jun 29th 2012 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 7:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely love being called 'love' again in every shop and by every delivery man, but I know it really puts some outsiders off because I've had friends from the south get upset about it. I just think it's a lovely warm way of living. Younger people do it less than older ones though, so I think it's slowly dying out.

One of my favorite things about Yorkshire is the friendliness of strangers. My husband and I went to visit the village where I grew up, and were standing around outside my mum's old house when a woman walked over and asked if we were looking for the homeowner. We explained and it turns out that he sister owns the house now but wasn't home. After a long chat, she gave me her cell number and told me to call any time to arrange another visit because "I know she'd be happy to show you round." That kind of thing happens all the time here and I love it.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I absolutely love being called 'love' again in every shop and by every delivery man, but I know it really puts some outsiders off because I've had friends from the south get upset about it. I just think it's a lovely warm way of living. Younger people do it less than older ones though, so I think it's slowly dying out.

One of my favorite things about Yorkshire is the friendliness of strangers. My husband and I went to visit the village where I grew up, and were standing around outside my mum's old house when a woman walked over and asked if we were looking for the homeowner. We explained and it turns out that he sister owns the house now but wasn't home. After a long chat, she gave me her cell number and told me to call any time to arrange another visit because "I know she'd be happy to show you round." That kind of thing happens all the time here and I love it.
Its the same in Lancashire, were also a friendly bunch, I remember watching Yanks years ago (which was partially filmed in Stalybridge and Stockport) the two Soldiers in the movie being shocked when a conductor on the buss said "love" a couple of times to them, I still hear a lot of the younger ones saying "love"...I was in our lovely local Coffee shop the other day when the very young male assistant said to this much, much older lady "how are you today love" ......just funny as he sounded like an old dear...ek saying that I say love a lot...but then I am on my way to being an old dear lol...