Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

South Yorkshire - problems?

South Yorkshire - problems?

Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Yorkshire - problems?

Originally Posted by bu1lder
hi i am a barnsley person, i am currently in the process of emigrating to oz, as regards barnsley........there is a huge influx of eastern european migrants now residing in barnsley from cosavo, croatia, latvia etc. there is a huge heroin problem there, crime is high, never leave a stereo in your car. i have had my car broke into, my motor bike stolen, my sister is on heroin, believe me if you have young children i would by-pass barnsley..........sorry but you asked for the truth. the pros are it has a large hospital and it is on the M1 good for comuting. if you dont believe me go into the town centre on a saturday afternoon.
so they'll need the large hospital for the drug addicts, and when the fights break out?
not a great place to move to then eh !
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by englishrose
so they'll need the large hospital for the drug addicts, and when the fights break out?
not a great place to move to then eh !
sorry, but thats the harsh truth of it. i left barnsley a few years ago and all my family are there brothers cousins mum dad etc. we visit regulary but my wife says if any thing ever happens to her, promise i will never move back to barnsley with our kids. in the defence of yorks the other side of sheffield near the peak national park is stunning, as is penistone at the back of barnsley (last of the summer wine)
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bu1lder
sorry, but thats the harsh truth of it. i left barnsley a few years ago and all my family are there brothers cousins mum dad etc. we visit regulary but my wife says if any thing ever happens to her, promise i will never move back to barnsley with our kids. in the defence of yorks the other side of sheffield near the peak national park is stunning, as is penistone at the back of barnsley (last of the summer wine)
know what you mean,thats why we are heading into north yorks when we get back.
good luck with your move anyway
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If I moved back to the UK and had the money I would go live in the Lake District. Really beautiful up there.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Bah!! Come to West Yorkshire
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

Don't make L of S. Wine in Penistone - it is Holmfirth - miles away.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know anything about Tingley? Is it classed as North or South Yorkshire? Or would appreciate any other areas roudn there that are good comminuting to Tingley but a bit rural? Need to find out possible job offer but I want the kids and me to be safe..Ta
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:55 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you go Kath, have a go with this website.

http://www.upmystreet.com/
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Debbie June is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Looking to get a foot into the UK house market in case we do go back there, ( may be going somewhere else first, but eventually).

Loved north yorkshire and york, but there seems to be a big price differnce between north and south yorks, so I am guessing we have big problems?

Can see from up my street higher crime think it was 9 in a thou for burglaries and cars opposed to 6 in a thou for north yorks. Can anyone tell honestly please (please dont dress it up I hate the way people post pleasant rubbish on forums like is Cairns hot?, Oh no its warm for a few months, yeah flippin right )

Its cheaper for a reason, lets have it oh and if there are any decent bits can we have them too Family areas decent education options for older children, highs, university type levels. Decent access to cities but not right in them.
I'm a north Yorkshire lass so I wouldn't hesitate (sorry you southerners). York, Harrogate areas are very pricey, have you looked around the Leeds area? Some pretty pleasant villages and not far from York and moors, coast, scenery etc. Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Im in sheffield

it certainly is a fab city - theres everything you could want within a 5 minute drive of wherever you are!
a pretty decent area if you can afford it is crosspool, and its neighbouring suburbs like fulwood. the housing is damned expensive, but the schooling is good (in so much as it scores high in the league tables). crookes and walkely are recently slapped with the 'uni student' areas, but as more are moving into the student villages that are popping up i get the feeling the students will be leaving these 2 areas and the housing will become available. although i live on arbourthorne - once descrbed by david blunket as one of the worst council estates in the uk - my kids go to school over in walkley, and i couldnt fault the school.

if you want anything specific, gissa shout

hey GG - gimme a shout when you get back, we could meet up!?

sue x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Im in sheffield

it certainly is a fab city - theres everything you could want within a 5 minute drive of wherever you are!
a pretty decent area if you can afford it is crosspool, and its neighbouring suburbs like fulwood. the housing is damned expensive, but the schooling is good (in so much as it scores high in the league tables). crookes and walkely are recently slapped with the 'uni student' areas, but as more are moving into the student villages that are popping up i get the feeling the students will be leaving these 2 areas and the housing will become available. although i live on arbourthorne - once descrbed by david blunket as one of the worst council estates in the uk - my kids go to school over in walkley, and i couldnt fault the school.

if you want anything specific, gissa shout

hey GG - gimme a shout when you get back, we could meet up!?

sue x
My aunt used to live in a prefab in Arbourthorne...she then moved into a high rise. One of those 12 floor flats built in the late '60's...she lived on the 7th floor....they seemed so high at the time.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:17 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My aunt used to live in a prefab in Arbourthorne...she then moved into a high rise. One of those 12 floor flats built in the late '60's...she lived on the 7th floor....they seemed so high at the time.
my grandma used to live in one of em too, were they called guildford? or summat like that been knocked down now