Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

South Yorkshire - problems?

South Yorkshire - problems?

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Yorkshire - problems?

Looking to get a foot into the UK house market in case we do go back there, ( may be going somewhere else first, but eventually).

Loved north yorkshire and york, but there seems to be a big price differnce between north and south yorks, so I am guessing we have big problems?

Can see from up my street higher crime think it was 9 in a thou for burglaries and cars opposed to 6 in a thou for north yorks. Can anyone tell honestly please (please dont dress it up I hate the way people post pleasant rubbish on forums like is Cairns hot?, Oh no its warm for a few months, yeah flippin right )

Its cheaper for a reason, lets have it oh and if there are any decent bits can we have them too Family areas decent education options for older children, highs, university type levels. Decent access to cities but not right in them.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Yorkshire - problems?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Looking to get a foot into the UK house market in case we do go back there, ( may be going somewhere else first, but eventually).

Loved north yorkshire and york, but there seems to be a big price differnce between north and south yorks, so I am guessing we have big problems?

Can see from up my street higher crime think it was 9 in a thou for burglaries and cars opposed to 6 in a thou for north yorks. Can anyone tell honestly please (please dont dress it up I hate the way people post pleasant rubbish on forums like is Cairns hot?, Oh no its warm for a few months, yeah flippin right )

Its cheaper for a reason, lets have it oh and if there are any decent bits can we have them too Family areas decent education options for older children, highs, university type levels. Decent access to cities but not right in them.
As a Sheffield lass I would always recommend South Yorks to North Yorks.

Sorry it's been many years since I lived in Yorkshire...so I'm afraid I can't help you.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:46 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another Sheffield lass originally (stoopid choice of username ), but I've not lived there in about 12 years. However, it is the area that we're planning to move back to in six weeks' time.

The four main cities in S Yorks are: Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster. Both Rotherham and Sheffield are industrial cities, while Barnsley is more of a market town and Doncaster is older. Doncaster I know bugger all about, so can't help there. Rotherham is, to my mind, the smallest city. Again, I don't know too much about it. Although it inflicted the Chuckle Brothers on the world, that probably says something. Barnsley, again, I'm not too clued up about.

Sheffield I know a little more on. It had a lot of money ploughed into it a while ago, I think, so it's enjoying a bit of an economy boom. Employment levels are much higher than they used to be. It's trying to rebrand itself as a sporting and technology city, so there's emphasis on developments in those areas. And there's been physical redevelopment too - the markets area has been redone, along with projects such as the Winter Gardens. Sheffield University has an excellent reputation (some departments scoring 5*) - plus there's Sheffield Hallam. The Sheffield College was formed by the merger of six colleges, so is enourmous and has campuses across the city. I enjoyed studying there for A levels, although it offers a huge range of courses. Errrm, it's also quite a green city, suprisingly. There's some great nightlife in the towncentre. And it has some good, cheap eats (by UK standards, not Aus!) - the diversity of the population means that you can find all sorts of food. However, I think that the best thing about Sheffield is the location. It's got good transport links, so it's easy to get to Leeds, Manchester etc. And it's surrounded by hills - there's Derbyshire, the Peak District National Park and the Pennines. It means that some of the outlaying villages have the benefit of a bustling city and a national park on their doorstep. Here endeth the Sheffield tourist board hard-sell.

My family is based in the area between Sheffield and Barnsley, so that's where we're heading back to. I can send you a PM with a list of the areas that we're considering buying in (pre-vetted! ), if that helps?

GG
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I'm another Sheffield lass originally (stoopid choice of username ), but I've not lived there in about 12 years. However, it is the area that we're planning to move back to in six weeks' time.

The four main cities in S Yorks are: Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster. Both Rotherham and Sheffield are industrial cities, while Barnsley is more of a market town and Doncaster is older. Doncaster I know bugger all about, so can't help there. Rotherham is, to my mind, the smallest city. Again, I don't know too much about it. Although it inflicted the Chuckle Brothers on the world, that probably says something. Barnsley, again, I'm not too clued up about.

Sheffield I know a little more on. It had a lot of money ploughed into it a while ago, I think, so it's enjoying a bit of an economy boom. Employment levels are much higher than they used to be. It's trying to rebrand itself as a sporting and technology city, so there's emphasis on developments in those areas. And there's been physical redevelopment too - the markets area has been redone, along with projects such as the Winter Gardens. Sheffield University has an excellent reputation (some departments scoring 5*) - plus there's Sheffield Hallam. The Sheffield College was formed by the merger of six colleges, so is enourmous and has campuses across the city. I enjoyed studying there for A levels, although it offers a huge range of courses. Errrm, it's also quite a green city, suprisingly. There's some great nightlife in the towncentre. And it has some good, cheap eats (by UK standards, not Aus!) - the diversity of the population means that you can find all sorts of food. However, I think that the best thing about Sheffield is the location. It's got good transport links, so it's easy to get to Leeds, Manchester etc. And it's surrounded by hills - there's Derbyshire, the Peak District National Park and the Pennines. It means that some of the outlaying villages have the benefit of a bustling city and a national park on their doorstep. Here endeth the Sheffield tourist board hard-sell.

My family is based in the area between Sheffield and Barnsley, so that's where we're heading back to. I can send you a PM with a list of the areas that we're considering buying in (pre-vetted! ), if that helps?

GG
I hate you...you lucky bugger.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:53 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hate you...you lucky bugger.
Don't, Jersey - I'm having a wobble this morning. I'm exchanging Sydney for ... Barnsley. I need me bloody 'ead examined.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't, Jersey - I'm having a wobble this morning. I'm exchanging Sydney for ... Barnsley. I need me bloody 'ead examined.
You can always ping-pong now you're a Ozzie.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:09 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can always ping-pong now you're a Ozzie.
Dinky di, true blue - that's me.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I lived in Sheffield in the mid-90s, and thought it was a great place. Very friendly people, lots going on. I went expecting a post-Thatcher industrial wasteland, and part of the city was like that and it certainly has its problems and rough areas (like all cities), but the other side of the city borders the Peak District. There are some beautiful places out that way. Well worth looking at, in my view.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:32 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

GG
just wrote a long winded reply but bloody server went down :curse:

basically said the above. yep cheaper down south hasnt got the landscape and scenery of the north, lot of old mining towns which got very run down after thatcher invaded. I lived in Rotherham most of my life and imo avoid it it is run down rough as arses and I wouldnt live there again.

Doncaster was the same though I havent been for many years so unless its had a major revamp?

barnsley has good and bad parts like anywhere some nice countryside around barnsley.

Sheff is ace love the place yep there are some rough areas and crime and drug probs etc but if you can afford some of the nicer areas ie banner cross, millhouses, totley, dore, ecclesall south downside is mega traffic.

as above excellent universities in sheff, fantastic social scene and plenty of work.

before emigrating we lived in the peak district if you look at villages on the sheffield side, ie grindleford, carver, baslow, stoney middleton then you are only 13 miles from sheff and same to chesterfield, Chesterfield is only a small town about same size as Rotherham but has a much nicer feel and a good market.

Lady manners near Bakewell is a good high school very good reputation as for uni either commute to sheff or Derby uni has a branch at buxton and theres a college in Hope Valley.

IMHO the peaks are great and more like north yorkshire, and if you can live rural you get the best of both worlds.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Exile
I lived in Sheffield in the mid-90s, and thought it was a great place. Very friendly people, lots going on. I went expecting a post-Thatcher industrial wasteland, and part of the city was like that and it certainly has its problems and rough areas (like all cities), but the other side of the city borders the Peak District. There are some beautiful places out that way. Well worth looking at, in my view.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

we are from doncaster in sth yorks,but if i thought we were going back there to live i'd stay here and suffer !
its got a good market.
we are going to go for north yorks as you have the dales on your doorstep,and theres a massive difference in the crime rate,far lower up there.
doncaster and the rest of sth yorks is very industrialised whereas the north is more of farming communities.
The school where 2 of mine went to were very good,but i didnt want them going to the high school there.Its quite rough,even in the good areas .Someone said about the nice parts of sheffiled,eg Dore etc, totally agree there.Expensive ,but better,and on the edge of derbyshire which is beautiful.
we could afford a decent house if we went back to doncaster,but we would rather be in a smaller house,for the same money,in north yorks,as we would rather bring the kids up in a smaller community,have a lower crime rate,and smaller schools.
sorry to anyone from donny but there are a lot of plebs about aswell.the yob attitude and no manners was rampant where we lived,and like i say,it was a decent part of the town.
another thing,people come from all over for the doncater nightlife,making it a busy,fighting ring on a weekend.(this doesnt apply to us as we are happy to be in with a curry !!)
if you really decide to live there,then let me know and i'll tell you honestly the best places and the hell holes,where bikes and car parts are abound in every front garden
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:10 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: South Yorkshire - problems?

I'm a Sheffielder and still love the city. I would have moved back there but traditionally there's never been tons of IT work there, but it's a great place, some really nice suburbs, and the surrounding countryside is magnificent. Oh, and us Sheffielders are great too.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

David.L is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Doncaster originally and now live in Barnsley. All towns have their good and bad points, I mean Barnsley town centre is awful but the countryside where I live in Dodworth is just beautiful. Housing prices have also rocketed over the past few years but I would say it is still cheaper to live here than other places. Barnsley is slowly emerging from the economic doldrums caused by the demise of the mining industry and the ecenomic development of the Dearne Valley is truly impressive. My kids are doing ok at school and I think the schools in Barnsley in general are ok without being top of the leagues.
Doncaster is on the up - in fact it is going for city status. It has a decent shopping centre and there has been plenty of development around and about-including a redevelopment of the racecourse and Donny Rovers have a brand new stadium. Housing is a bit expensive though, and schools are in plentiful supply so at least you have a decent choice.
I don't like Sheffield or Rotherham so will not comment further.
South Yorkshire does have fantastic road, rail and air transport networks. London by car is <3hrs, train is <2hrs - and links north south east and west are superb. The traffic is horrendous though, and this is a problem throughout England.
Hope this helps in some way
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
I'm a Sheffielder and still love the city. I would have moved back there but traditionally there's never been tons of IT work there, but it's a great place, some really nice suburbs, and the surrounding countryside is magnificent.Oh, and us Sheffielders are great too.
I'll to that.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

hi i am a barnsley person, i am currently in the process of emigrating to oz, as regards barnsley........there is a huge influx of eastern european migrants now residing in barnsley from cosavo, croatia, latvia etc. there is a huge heroin problem there, crime is high, never leave a stereo in your car. i have had my car broke into, my motor bike stolen, my sister is on heroin, believe me if you have young children i would by-pass barnsley..........sorry but you asked for the truth. the pros are it has a large hospital and it is on the M1 good for comuting. if you dont believe me go into the town centre on a saturday afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.