South-West England

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South-West England

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
where does rick stein live? I love dorset but dunno if much it work there? Maybe I could retrain as a fish cook.
Rick is in Padstow (Padstein) and it is dead in winter...(Cornwall)
Bmth and Poole ARE in Dorset! And full of hotels if you are a chef?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Lots of reason but yes crime definitely is one of them. If anyone had of asked me 2 or 3 years ago would I ever leave SA I would have said no. It's been a big decision to make and I'm very excited about it but I do have my days where I think to myself "OMG am I doing the right thing".
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:25 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Lots of reason but yes crime definitely is one of them. If anyone had of asked me 2 or 3 years ago would I ever leave SA I would have said no. It's been a big decision to make and I'm very excited about it but I do have my days where I think to myself "OMG am I doing the right thing".
If you do decide to go I hope it all works out. If not, you can always go back and know you gave it a shot.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

True although I'd feel really silly coming back with my tail between my legs. Also the cost factor involved. We've got the house on the market and once that's sold then it's all go. If it was me going over it wouldn't be a problem but I'm dragging my husband and 10yr old son with me. No that sounds wrong, we all made the decision to go but it's going to be a real culture shock for them as they've never been there before. Heck it might toughen them up a bit....
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:41 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

True although I'd feel really silly coming back with my tail between my legs. Also the cost factor involved. We've got the house on the market and once that's sold then it's all go. If it was me going over it wouldn't be a problem but I'm dragging my husband and 10yr old son with me. No that sounds wrong, we all made the decision to go but it's going to be a real culture shock for them as they've never been there before. Heck it might toughen them up a bit....
Why don't you go for a holiday first to see if it's really you? That is what I would do before I leapt in feet first.

Coming back with 'your tail between your legs' is nothing to worry about. Takes guts to do what you are thinking of doing.

I used to know quite a few South Africans living in England (my ex wife is from PE). I'd say it's about 50/50 split between liking it and hating it...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by seasprite
Rick is in Padstow (Padstein) and it is dead in winter...(Cornwall)
Bmth and Poole ARE in Dorset! And full of hotels if you are a chef?
sorry, I meant Cornwall. Nope I work in IT at the moment. I could do the rick stein thang. Fry fish, take me dog for a walk, and start a telly program. Actually, Rick Stein is a national treasure isn't he? I love watching his program - and the shipping forecast at the end...fantastic.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:11 am
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
I used to know quite a few South Africans living in England (my ex wife is from PE). I'd say it's about 50/50 split between liking it and hating it...
Do you think it made a difference whether they lived in London or outside it?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
Do you think it made a difference whether they lived in London or outside it?
Good question. About half settled in Lincolnshire. Half in Luton. Luton is not a good choice imo, it's a bit too grim....Actually those who did move to Luton (through family ties etc) ended up going back to South Africa, and then moved to OZ a few years later.

Those in Lincoln, I couldn't tell you. I've lost touch with them now. But I believe my ex sister in law is still there.

My ex father in law moved to Dorset and has been there ever since. I think if he could though, he would move to OZ, but his age is against him, and his wife is not that keen from the sounds of it.

So, in answer to your question, yes, it can make a huge difference where you go to.

Dorset and Cornwall are my top choices i think.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

I hear you but I think there's a big difference between going somewhere on holiday to actually living there. Also there's the cost factor. If I where to take the whole family over it would probably cost no less than R30,000 minimum and that would mean taking a loan out against our bond. I reckon it's what you make of it and that's what we're going to do. If and that's a big IF we hate it so much we'll have to stay there anyway to save up enough to come back and live the standard we are living at the moment. Having said that if we give it a couple of years by the time we come back there'll be no way my husband would be able to find a job. On a positive note let's hope we're one of the 50% who loves it.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Heck it might toughen them up a bit....
Donna, that's a great attitude.

One of the things I have always been worried about moving my kids back to uk is the upheaval for them and fitting back in etc. The whole toughening up thing is one we should probably embrace for our kids a bit more often instead of trying to protect them so much all the time; might even be doing them favour in the long run. After all, we all survived!!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. The only downside is that I'll be leaving my mum behind in Cape Town and she's been a huge help with my son when we've been stuck in traffic and he needs to fetched from school. I've already told him that he will have to be much more responsible (he's only 10, 11 in Dec) when we get there cos he'll have to make his own way to school and home again. He seems quite excited about it but I'm stressing out big time. It'll all work out fine I'm sure.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:20 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I have many SA Friends in Canada, several of them recently visited Australia, they preferred the climate there.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:16 pm
Banned

I hear you but I think there's a big difference between going somewhere on holiday to actually living there. Also there's the cost factor. If I where to take the whole family over it would probably cost no less than R30,000 minimum and that would mean taking a loan out against our bond. I reckon it's what you make of it and that's what we're going to do. If and that's a big IF we hate it so much we'll have to stay there anyway to save up enough to come back and live the standard we are living at the moment. Having said that if we give it a couple of years by the time we come back there'll be no way my husband would be able to find a job. On a positive note let's hope we're one of the 50% who loves it.
the 50% thing is just people I know. Have you spoken to any south africans living in England? There are a few foating around this board i think.

good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also in the process of moving back to the UK after having left there 25 years ago. I'm originally from Northern Ireland but we are going to stay in the UK. I have a friend who lives just outside Bristol, heading towards the coast (Weston Super Mare) hence why we are going to move to that area and I've heard nothing but good reports. Regarding the jobs, well I can only wait and see when I get there.
It is very true about the low wage vs high house price.... though this depends, of course, upon what you do for a living.

I can't help but think that house prices are driven up by people who live in London and buy a second vacation property in the West Country.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

deboltz will become famous soon enoughdeboltz will become famous soon enough

poole - very expensive, but also very nice

bournemouth - nice in summer but remember thats its populated by old dears and has a massive smack problem with the youngsters

i live in southampton, so im biased

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.