South-West England

Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:30 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: South-West England

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Im heading back to the UK soon and thinking about going to Bournemouth (I've got some family near there). What is it like living there?

Southhampton, Poole are also on my radar - but i'm concerned that the cost of living might be to high.

Is it a vibrant job market?

My other choice is London (lots of work, but well expensive).

Manchester.

Bristol? Anyone recommend Bristol?

Bristol, can be expensive, try Bath or Weston-super-Mare. Watch out for the recent floods though.

Manchester, if you go a few miles out, Droysden, Salford, Cheetham Hill, its a lot cheaper.

Manchester jobs pay quite well.

Southampton and Poole, cant speak for them, but Weymouth has a good jobs market.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:20 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

the 50% thing is just people I know. Have you spoken to any south africans living in England? There are a few foating around this board i think.

good luck!

I used to work with a SA dentist who had moved to Britain purely for the financial stability. He always said that he made way, way more than he would ever make in SA doing the exact same job (although all his credentials were obtained in SA).
He lived a very simple life (small flat, no TV etc...) because he wanted to send as much cash as he possibly could back to his family in Johannesburg, that was the main reason he was living in the UK.
He always seemed like an incredibly lonely person to me, hardly any social life, no relationships, but that was how he wanted it, he just wanted to work and send money home, that was it.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Cheltenham is beautiful (see below) but expensive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire...as/cheltenham/
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Hi Blaze

My dentist also went over to work in the UK for a couple of years obviously for the money. I think it's very sad that the SA dentist you worked for didn't have any social life, heck you only live once and if you can enjoy at least some of the hard earned money, what's the point. Don't think I could manage without a TV and we'll definitely do the social thing every now and again even if it's just popping into the local pop for a drink or two. I know it's quite difficult trying to make new friends but I'm sure we'll probably bump into quite a few people who are also in our situation and that might help break the ice.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

deboltz will become famous soon enoughdeboltz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Cheltenham is beautiful (see below) but expensive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire...as/cheltenham/

and currently under water..................
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Mid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really nice

My Sister lives in Bishops Lydeard, a village not too far from Taunton.It's a beautiful part of the country but its getting like London(in accents and house prices).My sis moved down from the Smoke about 10 years ago and would never move back.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Good question. About half settled in Lincolnshire. Half in Luton. Luton is not a good choice imo, it's a bit too grim....Actually those who did move to Luton (through family ties etc) ended up going back to South Africa, and then moved to OZ a few years later.

Those in Lincoln, I couldn't tell you. I've lost touch with them now. But I believe my ex sister in law is still there.

My ex father in law moved to Dorset and has been there ever since. I think if he could though, he would move to OZ, but his age is against him, and his wife is not that keen from the sounds of it.

So, in answer to your question, yes, it can make a huge difference where you go to.

Dorset and Cornwall are my top choices i think.
Cornwall - fantastic. Lovely place. Very 'in' now as people flock there to try to get away from massively over-populated areas and the problems associated. This has had an effect of house prices, which are now some of the most expenisve in the country - typical south-coast prices. Shot up in last year.

Would advice you check out NHS situation down there though - there have been stories in media about poor health service in Cornwall.

If you don't like crowds and gangs of youths (not yobs though), don't consider Newquay town itself. Youth capital of England during the summer and increasingly so during the winter. But seem to be decent kids. If, however, you have teenagers they would love it.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am Bournemouth born and bred and I LOVE the place. I really deeply do. I am going to have a wonderful September there. It's a brilliant place to be IMHO.

Why am I in New Zealand.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deboltz
poole - very expensive, but also very nice

bournemouth - nice in summer but remember thats its populated by old dears and has a massive smack problem with the youngsters

i live in southampton, so im biased
Oh that's not fair...all big towns have a " massive smack problem". Big town= over populated= higher crime rate. There are drug problems in every town/village in the country; you just may not notice! I have known heroin addicts who work and do not commit crime, some people addicted to cold remedys, anti-depressants etc, heavy cannabis users...and they all look and act "respectable"!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

i understand that, and have worked with drug addicts in the past all towns and cities have drug problems

just bournemouth is well known for smack and ive known at least 8 people who have moved there just for that reason - easier to get supplies
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

and currently under water..................

Cheltenham isnt. Not at all.

Gloucester and Tewkesbury may be, but Cheltenham has managed to avoid flooding. Just dont bother trying the taps!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

have they not got tap water there then?

i think oxfords next for trouble
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

have they not got tap water there then?

i think oxfords next for trouble
Nope, not a drop. Pain in the arse. 14 days of this shit!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

what are they drinking then?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

what are they drinking then?
Bottled water brought in by the army and guarded by the police and 900 water bowsers spread around the county.

Interestingly, all the media, the prime minister etc are down in Gloucester, but Cheltenham is larger but has recieved scant attention. And all the bowsers are empty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.