Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

South Africans moving/moved to UK

South Africans moving/moved to UK

Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:53 pm
British - South African

zululady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Africans moving/moved to UK

hi there i am trying to get some feedback from south africans or expat Brits from SA who moved back to the UK on how they found the lifestyle transition ?
i am a widow with a teenager & a Grade 1 child & am trying to make up my mind whether its the right thing to do - we are british citizens
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice
Default Re: South Africans moving/moved to UK

Hi Zululady, we are dual South African / British citizens and we have spent 6 years in the UK between 2001 and 2007. We moved back to SA because we wanted our daughter to get to know her family. Unfortunately things in the country has gone down-hill so much that we have decided to return to the UK. It wasn't an easy decision, it took us longer than 2 years to finally make up our minds. We're only moving back in March, so I can't comment on the transition and adjustments to lifestyle yet. However, what I can say is that we have been perfectly happy during our 6 years stay in England. And I am convinced that we would be able to find happiness again.

By the way, I also have a Grade One daughter. I have found the BBC Bitesize website great! Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Having just returned from a stay in the Garden Route I found it hard to leave to return to Australia.
Did not find issues with crime having much impact with folk I know there. All living a good life.
Nowhere is perfect but could have stayed on easily.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

The Garden Route is a fantastic place to live and raise children! It's very difficult for us to leave, however we're finding it very hard to make a living here. The economy might look okay from the outside, but inside it is non-existing. The prospects for the Garden Route is not good at all, socio-economic conditions are some of the worst in the country. George is South Africa's heroine capital and ranked third in the country for drugs problems.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zululady,

Good luck with your move, will you have any family or support in the UK?

We're going in July, and have different expectations, I'm quite sure we'll be able to adjust.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

PS, I'm also in Fourways
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off-topic, but there was an article in the Sunday Times magazine last month, written by a journalist who had returned to the UK from SA (Cape Town, I think).

I know from reading here that there are crime problems in SA, but the story this guy told, it sounded like Armageddon. It seemed he was really milking it for all it was melodramatically worth and just added to my suspicion of some journalists' inability to let a story tell itself. Even the writing style seemed more like a work of fiction. I'll try to find a link to it.

[I found it, but you need a subscription to read it. For those with access to the Times online, the title is "What it feels like... to leave the country you love" and the author was Christopher Radmann.]

[Googled it and found this]

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 30th 2012 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

I googled him and read a few of his articles. Sadly, his experiences are pretty commonplace.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
I googled him and read a few of his articles. Sadly, his experiences are pretty commonplace.
Were the other articles as melodramatic? I think sometimes the facts are so extreme they should be allowed to speak for themselves. When the writer "spices up" the story stylistically, the way he did in this article, it almosts detracts from the facts. That's journalism sometimes, though - never let the facts get in the way of a good story, I think Twain said.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the article you mentioned. Maybe someone can copy and paste it.

I found the below article, yes, I guess it could be melodramatic but I thought it was pretty well written by SA standards:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...r-7999533.html
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I read a couple of his articles, well written. I don't think people who have never lived in South Africa can comprehend the fear!

I am from Cape Town originally (where it is seems safer) but when I go back visiting, any noise or sound like a gun, or even some people walking towards me looking suspicious, I feel that fear coming back to me! I remember taking a train from London one night alone coming back from meeting friends (shortly after I left CT) and some young black youth got on at Slough and ran towards me at the back of the train, I put my head down so as not to look at them and my heart just pounded, my mouth went dry in fear. All they were doing was having some fun and going into the next carriage. It took years to get over that fear in public places and transport! I now live in a neighbourhood with no security gates and no fences and have no fear opening my front door! I wish it was not like that, for I could easily return to Cape Town to live but for my fear! Instead, we are planning on coming back to England where it would be easier for me to rather visit family and for them to visit with us! It does help that I do love England a lot and feel more English than any other nationality!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Slightly off-topic, but there was an article in the Sunday Times magazine last month, written by a journalist who had returned to the UK from SA (Cape Town, I think).

I know from reading here that there are crime problems in SA, but the story this guy told, it sounded like Armageddon. It seemed he was really milking it for all it was melodramatically worth and just added to my suspicion of some journalists' inability to let a story tell itself. Even the writing style seemed more like a work of fiction. I'll try to find a link to it.

[I found it, but you need a subscription to read it. For those with access to the Times online, the title is "What it feels like... to leave the country you love" and the author was Christopher Radmann.]

[Googled it and found this]
I can only go by my experiences and my travels around the Cape over the past month as well as friends living there and other locals met there.

I never once felt any fear. Also never put myself in a position ti incite envey by returning by taxi late at night from nights out in CT nor dressing too flash.

Of course there are issues in RSA. The Cape feels safer perhaps than other areas but in fact CT has a rather lot of crime which for the most part takes place in the townships which has always been the case.

A couple met,he from UK she German have been living in Pretoria for close on two years and never had nor felt crime issues. In fact like RSA so much that they are considering retirement there in the Cape Region.

Local friends living in the Cape say much the same.Certain precautions are required but had little personal issues outside of petty crime.

None had the intent nor desire to leave RSA.One had visited OZ but found RSA far better place to live.

Some folk are working towards making it a better place in their own way.

Such a beautiful country as well.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm
British - South African

Originally Posted by MagsB
Hi Zululady, we are dual South African / British citizens and we have spent 6 years in the UK between 2001 and 2007. We moved back to SA because we wanted our daughter to get to know her family. Unfortunately things in the country has gone down-hill so much that we have decided to return to the UK. It wasn't an easy decision, it took us longer than 2 years to finally make up our minds. We're only moving back in March, so I can't comment on the transition and adjustments to lifestyle yet. However, what I can say is that we have been perfectly happy during our 6 years stay in England. And I am convinced that we would be able to find happiness again.

By the way, I also have a Grade One daughter. I have found the BBC Bitesize website great! Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/
thanks for the website - will have a look there,and for your comments - my priority is doing whats right for the kids
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:04 pm
British - South African

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Hi Zululady,

Good luck with your move, will you have any family or support in the UK?

We're going in July, and have different expectations, I'm quite sure we'll be able to adjust.
Hi Nicola,
my whole family lives in the UK, im alone here with my kids, my husband passed away 4 years ago, i have a beautiful house here,a good job and tons of supportive friends, but still feel the family element is missingh
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zululady
Hi Nicola,
my whole family lives in the UK, im alone here with my kids, my husband passed away 4 years ago, i have a beautiful house here,a good job and tons of supportive friends, but still feel the family element is missingh
I'm not sure what you expect regarding the transition, I guess doing our own housework is going to be an adjustment (), but in the long run I feel we're doing the right thing for our children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.