South African motorcycle licence

Wikiposts

South African motorcycle licence

Old May 11th 2013, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

laconic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South African motorcycle licence

Hello.

Does anyone know whether a South African motorcycle licence can be converted to the unrestricted UK motorcycle licence? I have a full UK drivers licence only at the moment. Or would I have to sit the theory and practicals in the UK anyway?

My plan was to take the South African motorcycle licence in SA before heading back to the UK as it would be cheaper and easier to do here.

I am 37 years old so do not have to worry about the age restrictions in the UK I do not think.

Thanks!
Old May 13th 2013, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South African motorcycle licence

Try this wizard.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence

S.A. and the UK still can exchange licences for both car and bike, so choose "designated countries".

As far as I know you should be able to just swap the S.A. motorbike licence for a full UK one...

Having said that, the question is, have you swapped your UK drivers licence to a South African one? If you have, then get your S.A. motorbike licence and have it added to it and then you can exchange it in the UK for a UK licence and the UK licence will have both car and bike on it.

I haven't researched this thoroughly yet though.

Check out the DVLA website in the UK.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 13th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old May 14th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Interesting how the new (2013) government information web sites seem to be designed to convey less precise and more confusing information than the old one.

As a simple example, the above site says:

1 Are you a resident of Great Britain?
You're normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain.
Is the address to be permanent, the licence applicant to be permanent or the association of the address with the licence holder to be permanent.

The answer, if you want to get pedantic about it, according to law, is -
none of the above.

And normally? What is abnormally a resident? Again the government website helpful offers no clues.

The government websites are distinctly unhelpful to people who have difficult and marginal situations who need precise information, as contrasted with the unhelpful "typical case that the government approves of" answer.

Last edited by holly_1948; May 14th 2013 at 3:16 am. Reason: clarification
Old May 14th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Interesting how the new (2013) government information web sites seem to be designed to convey less precise and more confusing information than the old one.

As a simple example, the above site says:

Is the address to be permanent, the licence applicant to be permanent or the association of the address with the licence holder to be permanent.

The answer, if you want to get pedantic about it, according to law, is -
none of the above.

And normally? What is abnormally a resident? Again the government website helpful offers no clues.

The government websites are distinctly unhelpful to people who have difficult and marginal situations who need precise information, as contrasted with the unhelpful "typical case that the government approves of" answer.

I agree completely. There are lots of abnormal residents!