Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Something good about the UK.

Something good about the UK.

Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Something good about the UK.

I figured we need a cheerful post about the UK for those that are considering moving back.

Today we started our first day as the new Postmasters in a SE Wales Post Office/Shop. After 2 months of dealing with bankers, solicitors, the Post Office, etc, we finally took over the business today.

Every single person who came in today had time for a smile and a 'good morning'. Many if not most stopped to have a chat and fill us in on the comings and goings of the village. The local Bakery is a good one and we hear the Chip Shop is a thumbs up as well.....The children are all back in school this week and anxious for a chocolate fix after classes have ended. The deliverymen were all on time, helpful and cheerful. The local shopkeepers came and introduced themselves and offered to help or give advice if we needed it.........and the weather was perfect.

That's all. Just a good day in the UK.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Something good about the UK.

well i'd like to say good luck and wish you well with your new venture
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I figured we need a cheerful post about the UK for those that are considering moving back.

Today we started our first day as the new Postmasters in a SE Wales Post Office/Shop. After 2 months of dealing with bankers, solicitors, the Post Office, etc, we finally took over the business today.

Every single person who came in today had time for a smile and a 'good morning'. Many if not most stopped to have a chat and fill us in on the comings and goings of the village. The local Bakery is a good one and we hear the Chip Shop is a thumbs up as well.....The children are all back in school this week and anxious for a chocolate fix after classes have ended. The deliverymen were all on time, helpful and cheerful. The local shopkeepers came and introduced themselves and offered to help or give advice if we needed it.........and the weather was perfect.

Sounds like your going to have many a good day all the best.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:46 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hwyl! Llongyfarchiadau!
Dymuniadau gorau!

Last edited by Pony; Sep 7th 2006 at 9:53 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you had such a good day, Scout, and good luck with the new venture. If you can find the time, please keep us posted as to how things go.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

So nice to hear a positive post for a change. The very best of luck and I hope things turn out brilliantly for you.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

What I like to hear

Glad things are going well mate!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Scout. Nice to hear a happy positive post.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Something good about the UK :

cheapo shops
countryside
brands you recognise
history

Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:09 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Scout. Some days I dont get past the titles of the threads, roll my eyes, and visit other sites. It gets so tiresome that some people use this as there anger board instead of being helpful. Honestly, when i drive to work each morning and see the sun shining on these beautiful green fields, and notice how polite the drivers here are always flashing their lights to let others through, and see the school kids again all in their lovely uniforms, and pass all the smiling people walking their dogs,seeing the shop keepers putting some goods outside (they couldnt do that where I was in the states, as it would all dissappear), and then arrive at work to everyone saying 'good morning' and hearing the lovely 'tea up' from the tea lady...I dont know what all the complaining is about.
The best of luck with the post office...
Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:33 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by callé
Thank you Scout. Some days I dont get past the titles of the threads, roll my eyes, and visit other sites. It gets so tiresome that some people use this as there anger board instead of being helpful. Honestly, when i drive to work each morning and see the sun shining on these beautiful green fields, and notice how polite the drivers here are always flashing their lights to let others through, and see the school kids again all in their lovely uniforms, and pass all the smiling people walking their dogs,seeing the shop keepers putting some goods outside (they couldnt do that where I was in the states, as it would all dissappear), and then arrive at work to everyone saying 'good morning' and hearing the lovely 'tea up' from the tea lady...I dont know what all the complaining is about.
You stilll have tea ladies over there? How nice!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Soup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to allSoup Dragon is a name known to all

The reality seems to be that the perfect English life/nostalgic dream exists in small rural villages... I had a stint working for Royal mail over Christmas one year in a small village, and it was pretty much as you described once people recognised your face. Away from these places (which are out of the housing price range or provide no employment opportunities for many), all the other negative aspects are in abundance. Personally I'd love to know the ratio of unhappy city dwellers to unhappy village dwellers...I would suspect a large number of those considering emigration, do in fact live in built up areas....but that's just my theory...and I'm not completely right in the head as I am a Dragon that lives on Soup.....
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Have you got use to drinking lots of Tea Always good to hear from you Calle x
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soup Dragon
The reality seems to be that the perfect English life/nostalgic dream exists in small rural villages... I had a stint working for Royal mail over Christmas one year in a small village, and it was pretty much as you described once people recognised your face. Away from these places (which are out of the housing price range or provide no employment opportunities for many), all the other negative aspects are in abundance. Personally I'd love to know the ratio of unhappy city dwellers to unhappy village dwellers...I would suspect a large number of those considering emigration, do in fact live in built up areas....but that's just my theory...and I'm not completely right in the head as I am a Dragon that lives on Soup.....
I think you're right (apart from the English bit! Hehehe!!) I lived in a small village outside Edinburgh and it was lovely - people said hello, stood in the village shop for a wee chat, etc. When I lived in Edinburgh people would walk past you in the street and not even look at you and the neighbour in the downstairs flat would let the door bang in my face if she happened to be going in before me. yes, city life v rural life is very different in the UK. And not out of price range either - I'm in the process of selling my place (2-bed semi with conservatory and garage) for under 130GBP.

Adn before you ask, I only moved away from the UK for a change in life - the world's a big place and to me it seems a shame to spend it all living in the one country! I may go back one day, I may not - who knows? But I certainly don't see any shame in going back as some people on these forums seem to think.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:22 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TrishB
I think you're right (apart from the English bit! Hehehe!!) I lived in a small village outside Edinburgh and it was lovely - people said hello, stood in the village shop for a wee chat, etc. When I lived in Edinburgh people would walk past you in the street and not even look at you and the neighbour in the downstairs flat would let the door bang in my face if she happened to be going in before me. yes, city life v rural life is very different in the UK. And not out of price range either - I'm in the process of selling my place (2-bed semi with conservatory and garage) for under 130GBP.

Adn before you ask, I only moved away from the UK for a change in life - the world's a big place and to me it seems a shame to spend it all living in the one country! I may go back one day, I may not - who knows? But I certainly don't see any shame in going back as some people on these forums seem to think.
£130?? I'll take it !!! Though I suspect it is £130K which is out of my price range...

I quite agree...the world is a big place and it's no shame to try another (or many) country for a couple of years to see how you like it. If you don't, you can move on or come back and then move again after a few years....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.