Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Some positive news about Britain

Some positive news about Britain

Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:35 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some positive news about Britain

I'm just wondering... is this newly built nice area very close to a rough one? That's usually a set up for trouble.

Bev
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:38 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricket1
Was this a one off incident? If you're affected by anti social crime, it is a pain but it's not regarded as a priority. It's more that it's a nuisance which it is.
I live in a nice area but we still get gangs (they call them hoons here), lining up in cars before taking off around the streets chasing each other.
In a way, they are not doing much harm. It's late at night so they're using the streets as a race track to let off steam. But they cause a noise disturbance and it is infuriating at 3am in the morning but I take the view that if that's all they're doing, I'm not going to worry about it because there are far more serious things happening that need to take priority.

Here in Oz, people perhaps live in a more protected way than they do in the UK. Houses have security windows and doors, metal fencing and locking gates so it's harder to enter a property. Others live in apartments or gated complexes.
Even so, on some of the more upmarket gated areas, which look and sound impressive, break ins are very common because thieves believe there is something worth stealing so they plan a burgling mission.
Even on the waterfront residences, they get robbed frequently because thieves sneak in the back having got their by boat.

Honestly, I'm far more aware of crime happening here, mostly break ins, than I ever was at home. I lived on the outskirts of Northampton, which is a high crime area, in one of the villages, and I think once in 5 years, there was a drive through robbery where they drive through all the villages at night looking for opportunities but it happened very rarely.
We normally live and let live, it has got worse recently - been here 8 years and had odd periods of trouble - mainly noisy kids nothing hideous - but Christmas was very bad and this half term was very bad. In between things have quietened down. The problem is that the police can do little more than take the kids names and addresses - we all had a big meeting a couple of weeks ago - the police, the counsellors, MPs - the biggest problem is that the council has decided to turn off the street lights in a bid to save money and this in turn has increased the problems we are all having - because the kids are getting away in the shadows. The police also have very little power to do anything - at one point the PCSO spent the whole night following a gang of 40 or so kids round the estate, about five metres behind them and that was all she could do for hours - she took a few names and addresses but there was nothing else she could do, it was so frustrating for her (and us).

I am very shocked it is happening here, because I have lived within a mile and a half radius all my life and so this is something we aren't used to at all.

I'm sure it is the same the world over. All I say is don't believe the statistics. On another note, I have employed a PR company in the past who came up with statistics to get news stories - OMG some of the one's they came out with are fabulous -I will never believe another story quoting a statistic as long as I live after seeing it from the other side.

We did some fabulous surveys and then they bent all the statistics to make a good story but it was all backed up by the surveys, it just depended on how you read that statistics (and believe me there is always more than one way to read a stat).

Sincerely good luck with your move back, I've read many of your posts and you seem to have your head screwed on the right way.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm just wondering... is this newly built nice area very close to a rough one? That's usually a set up for trouble.

Bev
Yes, unfortunately that is true. I can think of a few places in WA where new estates have been developed in older lower socio economic areas and the bad influences have seeped into the nicer new areas.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:43 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Bev
Yes it is a new build sandwiched between two older estates, yet it is less than a mile from where we used to live where we had no problems at all.

We have lived here 7 or 8 years now and the trouble has only happened fairly recently.

Surprisingly two of the ringleaders are girls from our estate rather than the other two estates, I have watched them in action and they are vicious little so and so's.

I honestly thought the troublemakers were from the other estates but it seems not, although the boys that follow them are from the other two older estates (yes they are council estates though).
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
lmao its called reverse physcology
im happy for cricket that she is happy!!
Im not having a dig at no place on our earth,wherever makes you happy then lifes good,be it uk/aus/iran etc etc.

I understand about probaly 70% of aus is unhabitable
Yes like Perth, Adelaide....N.T.......
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's negative to point out to people that population per square mile needs to be per-habitable-mile to mean anything. People thinking of moving to Canada and Australia need to know that all that space doesn't mean anything if its empty for a reason, and that they could well end up living with hundreds of thousands of other people in the same density as in the UK.

That may not be a problem, but they need to know.

In fact, in most places in Canada the density in towns and cities is less, lots are bigger etc. But just not to that extreme. Don't know about Australia.

There's also the negative side. Some people, like me, don't want to live in a big house surrounded by private land. I think I've read some comments here from people who discovered they missed the way of life that comes from a denser population.

Bev
Your right about Aus...out of Perth there is really only one main "high street" Towns and a very large distantce of not much in between (and I am being polite) same goes for Adelaide and N.T...W.A has roughly 2 million (might be more now) with roughly nearly 1.5 million living in Perth....you can do all the stats etc and read up all you like on living with "more space" but unless you have "done it" (and we have)the isolation can really get to you....and of course the lack of other local "Cities" Culture,Villages,Stimulation....can get to you and it does us..but some don't mind this and think a great day out is to visit a different shopping centre (don't get me started on that subject.)....good luck to anyone who wants to try a new way of life...you only live once....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:46 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again, a positive thread turned into a Knock Aus/UK competition
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Also police response times are very different. In the UK, the police are fairly quick to respond while here they depending on the crime, they may respond a day later or not at all. It's very different and it leaves people feeling very vulnerable to think that they are not protected.
I'm really not aware of any difference and we're not too far from you but then I have no idea where you were before so your previous experience and mine will be different. Hubby reported a crime in the UK and was given the brush off until he explained some of the facts that involved a policeman's helmet . We had a burglary here and someone was with us inside half an hour and the crime scene guys fairly soon after.

There's probably not a lot in it imo. I've never had to report a serious crime in either country so I've no idea which one would be faster

Hope everything goes well for you back in the UK Cricket. Good luck.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:09 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.randstad.com/the-world-of...rm.html?c=3519

Get your act together you lot
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:40 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
The ONLY reason crime is falling is because they no longer log every call. We have had a lot of problems with anti social behaviour and myself and all my neighbours were calling constantly, up to six or more times a night and yet when we finally got a police office round, they told us that unless you ask for a log number, the calls are not logged and therefore the police are not notified.

We were told to always ask for a log number as they simply listen to your call and then do nothing about it, it isn't recorded and it isn't passed on to be dealt with.

I wish you every success with your move back but I'd really take all these statistics (good and bad) with a pinch of salt.

Why did you change your name Tiny Tears? Just curious....I thought you had hashed through all this on the other threads on the Canada forum?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:04 am
In limbo!

Has it occurred to you dingbat maybe more than one person has experienced antisocial stuff?

Last edited by Sleeping_Beauty45; Mar 1st 2009 at 8:31 am.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:26 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm really not aware of any difference and we're not too far from you but then I have no idea where you were before so your previous experience and mine will be different. Hubby reported a crime in the UK and was given the brush off until he explained some of the facts that involved a policeman's helmet . We had a burglary here and someone was with us inside half an hour and the crime scene guys fairly soon after.

There's probably not a lot in it imo. I've never had to report a serious crime in either country so I've no idea which one would be faster

Hope everything goes well for you back in the UK Cricket. Good luck.

I'm really lucky, I live towards Hope Island and it's really nice, I have to admit. I'm surrounded by a nice lifestyle, beaches, marinas, resorts but it is a happy holiday place so it's hard getting staff to run a business hence my reason for going home plus my daughter.
Like you, I've never had to report a crime either in the UK or here but my friends and customers have had a wide ranging experience of different problems from call out times to the actual crime itself.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:50 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
there are other sources which don't rely directly on police statistics that also say UK crime is falling - for example the British crime survey, which is based on people's experiences and is specifically designed to pick up "unreported" crime:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7511758.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Crime_Survey
Thanks for posting and contributing to the thread. Both links suggest an upbeat trend which is good news.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:00 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
Sorry to disagree with you again but for anti social behaviour we may get a call out within a week, for very bad ASB I often get a call six or seven hours later asking if the kids are still there causing havoc - criminal damage I'm talking about them jumping all over cars, graffitti on walls, drinking, doing drugs in day light and so on - and for the record, I actually live in a very "nice" area!!

Last week I called the police 999 (first time ever) as a gang of 8 or so youths surrounded my husband and an elderly neighbour, I was crying and pleading with the controller to get a car out as they were verbally and physically - aggressive - because my husband and neighbour went out to clear up the rubbish from the bins they had knocked over (the pulled over every single bin on the estate). I was pleading really pleading for police assistance and nobody came out - well I saw a police van drive past about an hour and a half later but that could have been co-incidental.

The ONLY time the police have come out quickly is when they heard my husband arguing with these kids - and they came to warn him not to argue with them, not to protect our property and so on.

We can't even chuck a bucket of water over them if they climb our 8ft wall into our back garden.

I promise there is no exaggeration, this really is supposed to be a nice neighbourhood, expensive detached new build properties, our neighbours are doctors, solicitors and company directors.

Until a few years ago, I would never have believed that this could happen, especially not here where we are.
Read the thread and couldn`t see what country you were talking about. Is this in England, Australia or Canada these incidents happened ?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:25 pm
In limbo!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Read the thread and couldn`t see what country you were talking about. Is this in England, Australia or Canada these incidents happened ?
England. Or I should say our little corner of England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.