Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So why did you really return... for the place or the people

Wikiposts

So why did you really return... for the place or the people

Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So why did you really return... for the place or the people

I must say i see many examples of people here being judged for where come from and how much they earn etc. I often hear people say this is a classless society which is complete crap as far as im concerned.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Freedom from being judged by accent, class, location etc etc. There seems to be very few socio economic bounderies in Aus, which was something I was always aware of in the UK. Not sure why that was so important or played such a big part of my personal awareness in the UK and not here.

Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Strange how my experience is the exact opposite.
Yup, in my experience too. Much more judgment on your house, your car, the school your kids go to, who you know (or dont know), who you went to dinner with (or didnt get invited to dinner with), how much you spent on your last holiday and where you could have gone to get it cheaper and how much better their hotel was than the one you probably stayed in, how much cleverer are their kids than yours, how much more they paid for their kitchen reno than you did, how much higher in the APS they/their partners are/were etc (and they always ask those questions).

I dont know that judgments were made so much on accents (though if anyone would get rid of Jooolyar that would definitely be a plus for Aus) - most Canberrans couldnt tell an Adelaide from an Albury accent they are so far up themselves they probably dont realize that there are other accents.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
I grew up in the UK, but lived in Hong Kong for 4 years and South Africa for about 30 years. My wife returned to the UK in 2006, and I visited her in 2008 (first visit in more than 20 years). I joined her the following year - it was more about our own relationship than anything else - and have regretted coming back ever since.

I've been back to SA a few times and it feels like going home - the sun, big skies, space and lifestyle - so I'll be leaving this country again as soon as I get things sorted out. I don't belong here, and don't want to live here.
Good luck to you and your wife and hopefully you will be both be happier back in SA.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the harshness and the shrill with Julia Gillards typically Adelaide accent before she started taking elocution lessons being the classic example.. It's very different to Melbourne and Sydney where the accent seems to come across an octave lower. EG: Jeffery Rush, Bill Hunter, Barry Humphries, Gwyneth Paltrow, ONJ etc.

Every knows what Julia Gillard sounded like and it was the epitomy of the bad Aussie accent.... Here's an example of the good Aussie accent. Which honestly seems to be more common in Melbourne and Sydney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=48yDSBaKBdI

Reading the above posts it makes me wonder what it is that makes one feel at home somewhere. For me it's a freedom thing. Freedom from being judged by accent, class, location etc etc. There seems to be very few socio economic bounderies in Aus, which was something I was always aware of in the UK. Not sure why that was so important or played such a big part of my personal awareness in the UK and not here.

Must say I have never found that to be the case for me here in the UK...I tend to judge people by who they are and not by what they have got as do my circle of friends and family....hang around people like that and you tend to tar everyone with the same brush.....I do have to admit....in Aus I did find the bigger block you had, which suburb you lived in....the bigger home you built and who built it and also what car you drove was all important...as was your salary.....never been asked any questions like that in all my life until we arrived in Aus.....and by strangers lol......I do think it is mainly about people and not countries where these judgments are made....I dont blame Aus for people asking me those type of questions...just the people we met there....nosey lol....
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Did you mean to include Gwyneth Paltrow in that list?
Whoops I actually meant Cate Blanchett believe it or not... Right face (and voice) wrong name. Blame my ageing memory.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 15th 2012 at 10:52 am.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Defo agree that Australia is not classless. I can remember being shocked when people, strangers even, asked if you were buying your house or renting!!! What has that got to do with the price of fish?

And I DO NOT miss the "Australia is the greatest country in the world" mentality, who are you trying to convince me or yourself?

When I came back here for my one year try it journey, one friend actually said to me the above, "You'll be back because Australia is the greatest country in the world" my answer to her?

"In your opinion."

This from a woman who has never lived in another country, sigh...........

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 15th 2012 at 6:21 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Defo agree that Australia is not classless. I can remember being shocked when people, strangers even, asked if you were buying your house or renting!!! What has that got to do with the price of fish?

"In your opinion."

This from a woman who has never lived in another country, sigh...........
Well if there is it's a very confused one. People definitely do ask those questions readily. My view on this is the Aussies "Cut to the Chase" mentality.

The reason I can say with confidence that if there is a class mentality that it's confused is in the following example.

I had a fellow who lives in a very big house in a place called Hillside here... near Taylors Lakes. To him Coburg and Brunswick are full of Ethnics and places to be avoided.... To me and those around here....... Hillside is typical suburbia, Mcmansion ville and to be avoided. He definitely looked down on this area... Whereas people from here would definitely look down on his.

Renting again a dubious issue.... I would imagine that a person renting in Fitzroy or Carlton would be far better thought of "if thats your bag" than someone that owns in say Werribee.

Tis a totally different ball game here.... Not so much wrong side of the tracks but how you live on your side of the tracks.

So
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's the harshness and the shrill with Julia Gillards typically Adelaide accent before she started taking elocution lessons being the classic example.. It's very different to Melbourne and Sydney where the accent seems to come across an octave lower. EG: Jeffery Rush, Bill Hunter, Barry Humphries, Gwyneth Paltrow, ONJ etc.

Every knows what Julia Gillard sounded like and it was the epitomy of the bad Aussie accent.... Here's an example of the good Aussie accent. Which honestly seems to be more common in Melbourne and Sydney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=48yDSBaKBdI

Reading the above posts it makes me wonder what it is that makes one feel at home somewhere. For me it's a freedom thing. Freedom from being judged by accent, class, location etc etc. There seems to be very few socio economic bounderies in Aus, which was something I was always aware of in the UK. Not sure why that was so important or played such a big part of my personal awareness in the UK and not here.

Ah....yes, I know what you mean about the shrill high pitched voices - they can be truly grating at times. I didn't realise that was an Adelaide thing. Though come to think of it, I work with a couple of women who originally are from NSW and they are more softly spoken.
As for Julia Gillard....I don't think elocution lessons have helped much