Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

SO much info for UK move -what does it mean for me?

SO much info for UK move -what does it mean for me?

Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:42 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Question SO much info for UK move -what does it mean for me?

I have read thru many threads on here, and the Wiki Im hoping someone can give me the official way on doing things in this maze of rules and regs

So, I am the British citizen in Florida been here 20 years
With My American wife
and our twin girls aged 16 (17 in jan) both born here in the Orlando area
both the girls have full British passports.

For various reasons we want to move to the UK
from what I have read I have to have a job that pays 18.5 grand a year
the twins will go to college there.

SO questions are
1: do I have to be working back home before I can sponsor the wife or have a job offer? or does it have to be kicked off here and we can all go over together??
2: will there be any issues with my twins (British passports)?
3: does she have to stay here in USA while I apply to sponsor her
4: she has a guaranteed income of over 75k (dollars a year) but no savings to speak of.. is that taken into account?

Its all a bit confusing?
thank you for your input
Cheers
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SO much info for UK move -what does it mean for me?

Read the following document carefully to see under which category you can qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Basically if you currently earn 18,600 GBP AND have a job offer earning same then you can apply now and travel together. If not earning 18,600 per annum then you need to return to the UK ,get such a job and then apply. Wife can visit you during this period.

Savings (either yours, hers or owned jointly) can be used to make up any shortfall.

Non earnings income can also be used as can pensions.

Where does the 75K come from? and will it continue in the UK?

With UK passports your children do not need to be sponsored only your wife.

You also need to show accommodation and relationship proof.

Start here:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

When you say your children will go to "college" do you mean university? The reason I ask is that until they have been resident in the UK for 3 years they will be classed as international students for university.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
I have read thru many threads on here, and the Wiki Im hoping someone can give me the official way on doing things in this maze of rules and regs

So, I am the British citizen in Florida been here 20 years
With My American wife
and our twin girls aged 16 (17 in jan) both born here in the Orlando area
both the girls have full British passports.

For various reasons we want to move to the UK
from what I have read I have to have a job that pays 18.5 grand a year
the twins will go to college there.

SO questions are
1: do I have to be working back home before I can sponsor the wife or have a job offer? or does it have to be kicked off here and we can all go over together??
If you wish to move back together you will need to meet the financial requirements to sponsor your wife's spouse visa application. To qualify under the salaried income route (Category A) you would need to be currently employed in the US earning at least £18,600 per year AND have a job offer in the UK which paid at least £18,600 per year and starting within three months of your proposed return.

2: will there be any issues with my twins (British passports)?
As British citizens they are not included in the financial requirements and they are free to move to the UK whenever they want. NB: As US citizens they will need to enter and exit the US on US passports so they'll need both valid US and British passports.

3: does she have to stay here in USA while I apply to sponsor her
You don't apply to sponsor your wife - your wife will need to lodge an application for a spouse visa. She will need to do this from a country in which she is a legal resident, e.g. the US. She cannot apply from the UK or a third country in which she is a visitor.

4: she has a guaranteed income of over 75k (dollars a year) but no savings to speak of.. is that taken into account?
No, only your salaried income is counted if you are applying to meet the financial requirements under Category A. Savings however can be held in either of your names or jointly.

If your wife has any recent European ancestry then you should explore whether she is entitled to an EEA passport which would allow you to bypass the need for a visa by using EEA Freedom of Movement rules.