Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

so long and thanks for the advice and a long story short :)

so long and thanks for the advice and a long story short :)

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:22 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default so long and thanks for the advice and a long story short :)

forgive grammar and all, jet lagged 2 hr sleep in 48, but happy to be home
Hi, update, back in the UK, got back yesterday, by a tiny bit of luck, actually huge amount of luck, flight canceled from Boston Sat re-booked for Mon, but fly to Chicago then to Heathrow, checked before leaving home, the flight was still on, left home, keys to realitor, no car anymore, got to airport, flight canceled again! given late Christmas eve, arrive Heathrow all being well Christmas Day 6.55am. took ticket, but no accommodation offered even though ask for, next problem, no trains, few taxis and prices quoted rightly high, family all have tiny cars or no car, in UK, so no go.
it was American Airline who left us to our fate but wrongly? rightly? as we had booked via BA, I don't know the rules? so we walked 3 terminal to BA, queued again, after many hours finally a BA manager, came out and was blunt and sensible, he said go home if you flight is tomorrow, you may be able to fly, go home if you only have a week to 10 day vacation booked unless you are visiting someone who is at their last Christmas, (he didn't say that just implied) as you will not be flying to the 27th at that point, he gave the reclaim form to all, a girl in front of us asked how long til the reclaim, he said 3 weeks, but maybe longer at present, my husband said in good humour "and yet it take you seconds to take my money when I book" the whole line laughed.
then we witnessed a miracle, we had been told that other airlines where not accepting BA passengers, as they too had back logs, but I saw a BA check in person leap up behind the desk and say " Thank you Air France and she ran off"???
the line started to evaporate as the BA Manager's honesty sunk in and the fact we where in the re-booking line for a hotel, rather than a flight and we had got our flight with AA 4 hours before sunk in, we where getting toward the front of the line about 5th when the BA manager and Air France Manager got chatting right next to us but in whispers, I am nosy and more than bored by this time and they where moaning about how helpless they felt and how stressed yet good the passengers as where the staff who where working longer shifts and he air france chap said "I could takesome standby's on my next flight, I think?"
next thing I am aware my twins who had been running around and annoying these men, are by my side, and the Air France man said : are you a family of 4?" "yes" we are pulled out of the line, and go on to stand by 3 def tickets and 2 people not checked in, then 1 did, last min 1 no show, me and twins in luxury hubby in cattle class. he said it was luxury not to have small people
they sold it to us as in they thought from some reason we would need a reason to grab the chance to go to Paris, but I am from East Kent, so I was all foot passenger or Eurostar, having done it a million times.
we just played it from moment to moment, and we had a amazing man at lille who came up and offered to help us, if we where going to the ferry with our luggage, poor man he was travelling from West Africa and he was falling asleep standing up, he help us with our luggage as you don't plan to haul 4 suitcases, 2 large carry ons and 2 backpacks with 2 adult our 5 year old had been having to pull the large carry on's til that, on 2 hours sleep.
we hit the UK at 10.30 on a very crowded ferry but happy to be home, and unlike a lot of people we only had 20 mile to travel.
So thank you BA Staff at Boston (not BA who no email to us saying cancelled, no nothing on cancelled flights and unable to contact, and website no useful info at all), Air France Staff, P and O staff, and due to our tired state and our knight in shining armour's state, in about 5 hours we never swapped names, but thank you and big up Mr Al Jasera/freelancer camera man, you saved our shoulders with the cases and sanity, hope you have a lovey time off
hope you all got home to
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so long and thanks for the advice and a long story short :)

Wow, what a journey!

Glad you made it. So this is not a holiday then, you're back to live right??
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey MOK...nice to hear from you again...I had no idea you were returning to Blighty.

Wishing you all a very merry UK Christmas.

Keep in touch.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MOK and good luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:31 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

What a journey, good luck back in England hope it all works out.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, ditto that.

Hope everything works out for you back in England and have a very Merry Christmas and an even better 2011!!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you made it back ok and the best of luck as you start a new chapter in your life's journey.

Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Me is confused, Santa's elf

Are you back in the UK for good or just for the holidays?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 3:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic story! Kudos to all the staff at BA and Air France who helped you out!! I always felt that cross-channel ferry is the way to arrive in England (I'm from Kent too...)

Have a Happy Christmas!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Christmas! Definately a travel story you'll get to retell many times.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

O there you are!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound, even if it was quite an experience! I wish you much happiness in the future.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:38 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Folks, missed you all, spent the last year or so not knowing our fate, and so lost heart, then finally after a year of knowing hubby didn't have a job, but not officially, you just know when you don't have a job when you don't appear on an org chart he final got told in July, but enough work to give us 6 months to sort our selves out, so we are home for good as his holiday, gets us to the six month next week, he is officially out of work from Monday, I start my new job Tuesday, scary after 2 1/2 years not working, but hopefully a fabbo new job for me and I am excited, it's even a promotion , so all is well, hopefully hubby will get a job soon.
hope this finds you all well, and happy.
Yours of Margate
I am loving the Fish and chips, 3 times in 8 days! that is healthy??? right?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
Thanks Folks, missed you all, spent the last year or so not knowing our fate, and so lost heart, then finally after a year of knowing hubby didn't have a job, but not officially, you just know when you don't have a job when you don't appear on an org chart he final got told in July, but enough work to give us 6 months to sort our selves out, so we are home for good as his holiday, gets us to the six month next week, he is officially out of work from Monday, I start my new job Tuesday, scary after 2 1/2 years not working, but hopefully a fabbo new job for me and I am excited, it's even a promotion , so all is well, hopefully hubby will get a job soon.
hope this finds you all well, and happy.
Yours of Margate
I am loving the Fish and chips, 3 times in 8 days! that is healthy??? right?

hmmmm..fish and chips sounds good right now
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

What language is that? It's almost English, but then, the refreshing absence of puctuation and bizarre rambling sentence construction, where one subject meanders seamlessly into another, totally unconnected one, make it somehow other-worldly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.