Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So long fairwell alvetersan goodbye!

So long fairwell alvetersan goodbye!

Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:17 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light
Default So long fairwell alvetersan goodbye!

Well I think it's time to go... This place just ain't working out. I have a couple things to wrap up over the next year and I thought I would start the planning early

I'm putting together an exit strategy and was wondering if anyone has some answers to a few questions.

1) I have two micro chipped and well documented cats that the wife would rather give me up for rather than leave them that have to go back (they weren't born in England). Anyone know what that process is like and costs...

2) Shipping our stuff back. Does anyone one have approx prices they've found. Price by qubic foot, half container... And can recommend a good insurance company as I expect the monkeys doing the moving will try to break or steel something (as they did coming here )

3) can you think of anything I have not asked that you believe would be good for me to know...
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:39 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default Re: So long fairwell alvetersan goodbye!

Hi, we have come to the same decision. We are planning on returning to the Uk Oct or Nov 2009. We are also starting to make plans to make this happen. We have only been in OZ for 3 months and although we don't hate the place it is just lacking something, we find it lifeless. The kids have settled well but when we discussed going home they were so happy. We prefer our old life and realised that home is wear the heart is. Last night for instance, no fireworks, no loud music, nothing, the place was dead. We are also needing info on shipping and insurance etc. so will watch your post with interest. Good Luck.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help with your questions but I just wanted to say good luck to you both.

As posters get back to their home countries and don't post any it's nice to see a new group of 'returnees' emerge to help each other.

All the best xx
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:50 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhh, more folks have seen the light!!

We used Kents removals and they were really great. Nothing at all broken. We paid 7900 dollars for a 20ft container.

Cats: we used Dogtainers at a cost of 3200 dollars for two moggies...much to hubbies disgust. They were really good too.

HiFX transferred our money. We secured it at a great rate a few weeks before it plummeted at no charge.

Good luck everyone....it is worth coming home. May not seem it for the first few weeks (all a bit of a shock to the system) but when things calm down, yes, it's been worth it.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, and welcome to MBTTUK.

20ft Container in June 2008, Melbourne to Cambridgeshire, door to door, $8000.

HiFx for currency changes,

BA for flying me home on airmiles

My wife and daughter meeting me in Heathrow...... priceless

Any help or info wanted...just shout.

Pete
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Hi, and welcome to MBTTUK.

20ft Container in June 2008, Melbourne to Cambridgeshire, door to door, $8000.

HiFx for currency changes,

BA for flying me home on airmiles

My wife and daughter meeting me in Heathrow...... priceless

Any help or info wanted...just shout.

Pete
Nice one Pete
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dickchap
Hi, we have come to the same decision. We are planning on returning to the Uk Oct or Nov 2009. We are also starting to make plans to make this happen. We have only been in OZ for 3 months and although we don't hate the place it is just lacking something, we find it lifeless. The kids have settled well but when we discussed going home they were so happy. We prefer our old life and realised that home is wear the heart is. Last night for instance, no fireworks, no loud music, nothing, the place was dead. We are also needing info on shipping and insurance etc. so will watch your post with interest. Good Luck.
no fireworks!! no loud music!!! sounds like heaven on earth to me.

scratchey
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

We're using Chess Removals on Monday at $7,500 for a 20ft container.

Can't believe we have only 5 days left here! Family have told me it's going to be cold next week on our return but we don't care we going home!!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:39 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dickchap
I guess it's all a matter of opinion... But I just found there is a real lack of civility here and spirit of kindness (not to be confused with the aussies well known ability to talk to anyone - two very different things). It's something I knew I always appreciated but didn't know till we lived here for a few years that it was so important to me.

There's a song lyric that says live in New York once but leave before it makes you hard... For me it's been live in Australia once... and now it's time to pull the pin. Will spend a couple years in the UK and then I'd like to check out the Bahamas or Hawaii - just can't stay away from the heat too long

Last edited by furbacchione; Jan 2nd 2009 at 3:52 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mic n mat
I guess it's all a matter of opinion... But I just found there is a real lack of civility here and spirit of kindness (not to be confused with the aussies well known ability to talk to anyone - two very different things). It's something I knew I always appreciated but didn't know till we lived here for a few years that it was so important to me.
The lack of civility is something I've noticed in the supermarket. Stopped to let 2 people get past me the other day with their trolleys. Not a nod of acknowledgement or a thanks. Again at the checkout, no one here as ever said thanks when you place the divider on the belt behind your shopping so that they can start to empty their trolley. Might sound a bit trivial, but I can always remember being thanked by people in the UK. Lack of manners here.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:47 am
Banned

Default Re: So long fairwell alvetersan goodbye! ALMOST FORGOT the car!

Anyone tried to take a car back.

We have an almost new Toyota Corolla hatch we're thinking of taking back. What have anyone experiences been with such things
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:50 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the bad manners thing here. Many a time I have been pushing a trolley down an aisle and if you are slightly in the way there is no excuse me or thanks if you let them pass. Same thing with the divider on the conveyor belt as someone mentioned too no thanks at all.

The same with driving no manners at all on the road here.

Once they have hassled you at the shops following you around and giving it all that false American stuff and they only have a couple which they all seem to use the same, that is them done with you. They take your money and the friendleness stops. God help you if you have to take anything back. They are rude and unhelpful.

I know customer service isn't 100% in the UK but I think it's better than here and the British seem to have better manners.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:47 am
Banned

The more I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and know we're on our way to the UK the more excited I get. I think we're planning on settling in Settle - if everything works out.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by meols12
The lack of civility is something I've noticed in the supermarket. Stopped to let 2 people get past me the other day with their trolleys. Not a nod of acknowledgement or a thanks. Again at the checkout, no one here as ever said thanks when you place the divider on the belt behind your shopping so that they can start to empty their trolley. Might sound a bit trivial, but I can always remember being thanked by people in the UK. Lack of manners here.
Same here in Italy. I don't think it's trivial becasue little things like a "thankyou" or a smile can make life much more pleasant. You can hold the door for someone here and not get a thank you. I can't believe manners are only present in the UK though....
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meols12
I don't know where you used to shop, but no-one here has ever said Thank You to me for putting the divider thingy on the belt ... though in general I agree that Brits tend to be pretty polite.

It's funny, because I have heard several Brits complain about the "Have a Nice Day" politeness in the States ... but I've never found it anything other than preferable to silence or a scowl ... seems you can't win for losing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.