British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   So long and all the best. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/so-long-all-best-548727/)

Eric Hitchmo Jul 13th 2008 2:19 pm

So long and all the best.

I suspect this'll dissapear from the front page of the RR forum in record time, but anyway...

Right, I'm done. This is my last post. <Sound of huge roar of cheering, shouts of "about time" accompanied by various profanities etc...>. I've been back home for 3 years now so I've done the whole ex-expat thing. I lived in Aus for 2 years. Nice holiday destination but a bit boring, backwards and generally over-rated. I can understand if you had no mates and a bit of a crap life in the UK then you'd prefer it because of the weather, but it wasn't for me. Missed not just my mates but everything I grew up with. You take it for granted and even get tired of it and yearn for a change, but after a while, I realised I wanted it back. I have better oportunities here and I think the much talked about, but rarely defined "lifestyle" is better here. (Gasps of horror). I've become a lot more patriotic since moving back. Not in a sort of flag-waving sense, I just think the UK is a better country than a lot of people seem to give it credit for.

Just had a really nice Sunday. Lovely weather, bike ride out through the lanes, then a drive into the country for Sunday lunch. Managed to avoid being mugged or stabbed (phew!), and had a great day, which I seem to have a lot of in the Uk since coming back. Then I read BE and there's yet another comedian who's trying to justify moving abroad or being where they are by whinging about the place. I've heard every reason under the sun why I've got it wrong and I can't actually be enjoying myself, because the UK is going downhill and here's a link to prove it. We've had everything from knife crime, through to the Jeremy Kyle show, and the wrong-shape wine glasses. It gets boring having the same arguments, and I'm sure it's boring for everyone reading it. If it's not one thing it's another. People are just looking to give themselves an excuse to move abroad, or convince themselves they've done the right thing by moving, and it gets old reading the same nonsense.

I got to know some Polish lads who do the security at the offices where I work. Turns out they're just here to earn a few quid, and they have the same interests (football etc), as me, and it *is* possible to get to know them. They aren't these sinister types who are here to destroy the country, that some people on here are convinced they are. Weird eh?

If you're abroad and homesick, you have my sympathies. I know what it's like and how hard it can be, and I hope it works out for you, either back here or where you are now. I really do. And if you've bought your ticket home - it's still nice here. Honest.

I'm off to enjoy the rest of the summer.

All the best.

caledonia Jul 13th 2008 2:32 pm

Re: So long and all the best.

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo (Post 6566506)
I suspect this'll dissapear from the front page of the RR forum in record time, but anyway...

Right, I'm done. This is my last post. <Sound of huge roar of cheering, shouts of "about time" accompanied by various profanities etc...>. I've been back home for 3 years now so I've done the whole ex-expat thing. I lived in Aus for 2 years. Nice holiday destination but a bit boring, backwards and generally over-rated. I can understand if you had no mates and a bit of a crap life in the UK then you'd prefer it because of the weather, but it wasn't for me. Missed not just my mates but everything I grew up with. You take it for granted and even get tired of it and yearn for a change, but after a while, I realised I wanted it back. I have better oportunities here and I think the much talked about, but rarely defined "lifestyle" is better here. (Gasps of horror). I've become a lot more patriotic since moving back. Not in a sort of flag-waving sense, I just think the UK is a better country than a lot of people seem to give it credit for.

Just had a really nice Sunday. Lovely weather, bike ride out through the lanes, then a drive into the country for Sunday lunch. Managed to avoid being mugged or stabbed (phew!), and had a great day, which I seem to have a lot of in the Uk since coming back. Then I read BE and there's yet another comedian who's trying to justify moving abroad or being where they are by whinging about the place. I've heard every reason under the sun why I've got it wrong and I can't actually be enjoying myself, because the UK is going downhill and here's a link to prove it. We've had everything from knife crime, through to the Jeremy Kyle show, and the wrong-shape wine glasses. It gets boring having the same arguments, and I'm sure it's boring for everyone reading it. If it's not one thing it's another. People are just looking to give themselves an excuse to move abroad, or convince themselves they've done the right thing by moving, and it gets old reading the same nonsense.

I got to know some Polish lads who do the security at the offices where I work. Turns out they're just here to earn a few quid, and they have the same interests (football etc), as me, and it *is* possible to get to know them. They aren't these sinister types who are here to destroy the country, that some people on here are convinced they are. Weird eh?

If you're abroad and homesick, you have my sympathies. I know what it's like and how hard it can be, and I hope it works out for you, either back here or where you are now. I really do. And if you've bought your ticket home - it's still nice here. Honest.

All the best.

please dont go- I thought many of your posts were very funny actually. still not 100% sure if we'll go back to uk or not, but you gave me a laugh anyway:)

quoll Jul 13th 2008 2:34 pm

Aw, dont let one killjoy drive you away Eric, I enjoy reading your posts and knowing that there is a whole lot of good still going on back home! However, I suspect that you are having such a good time you probably dont need us as much as we need to be in touch with people who have been there, done that and proudly wear the t shirt of the returned to sanity mob!

Cant wait to be tooling round the country lanes myself next weekend (woo hoo!!!) but not on a bike:eek:

I think we really need a patriotic movement in UK at the moment - maybe there will be some scope for it once the Olympics get under way in earnest and then all the sporting "heros" will be leading the charge. I sense a change in the air and am being positive about it.

SarahInTX Jul 13th 2008 3:03 pm

We need voices like yours to give balance to the forums. People who've moved away -- and those who are itching to do it --and only have bad things to say about the UK, are loud and vehement. We know that theirs isn't the whole story, but it sure does help to hear it from people who are actually there and are living it.

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

(I think you're funny too. :p)

backagen Jul 14th 2008 12:31 am

Good to hear everythings going well 4U.

Nu-Shooz Jul 14th 2008 4:53 am

All the best.

Sad to see you go, you are one of the few that talk sense;)

Here's to the rest of your happy days in UK, you made a good decision to stay there, life is an adventure, you did it, opened your eyes up to what really matters, well done.:thumbsup:

rabsody Jul 14th 2008 5:03 am

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 6566537)
please dont go- I thought many of your posts were very funny actually. still not 100% sure if we'll go back to uk or not, but you gave me a laugh anyway:)

I second that! :thumbsup: Eric you're a laff and you brighten up our days with your acerbic wit!

Can understand your need to move on tho. Pleased to hear you are still loving it back there and sounds like you have many years of happiness and piss taking ahead! :p Enjoy t'pub :thumbup:

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Jul 14th 2008 7:42 am

Know what ya mean Eric - I've found myself not logging on recently for fear of feeling like I've opened the front page of the DM, in so many ways I'm just done with the arguement :frown:

At some point it becomes time to put it all behind - all the best for a happy, healthy life at home to you too :thumbup:

Fleaflyfloflum Jul 15th 2008 7:52 pm

All the best.

Best wishes for the future Eric. I always enjoyed rewading your posts and I am also back here now and can vouch for everything you have said.

In my new job I work with a guy from Serbia. I have to say he is one of the nicest men I have ever met. Totally besotted and in love with his wife, intelligent, kind (he spent several hours teaching me their pc system even though its not his job) and is happy to spend tome with a 40 something granny discussing politics, current affairs and life in general. He works 12hrs a day 6 days a week and is happy to do so. People like him are welcome in my country as far as i am concerned.

Once again good luck Eric!

pommybird Jul 16th 2008 10:11 am

All the best.

Eric - your post could have been written by me - that's exactly how I feel - Australia's O.K , but to live there 'no thanks!' The UK rules!!

I too now see little point coming on here reading the same old crap about UK 'going to the dogs' etc, so with the kids breaking up from school in the next few days and the sun shining I think I will too retire from the forum and go out and enjoy this lovely country of ours!

Good luck to you all and special kisses to Tracey W (you'll be home soon), Flea (glad you're home) and St George's Girl (your time will come!!)xxxx

Nu-Shooz Jul 16th 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 6576447)
Eric - your post could have been written by me - that's exactly how I feel - Australia's O.K , but to live there 'no thanks!' The UK rules!!

I too now see little point coming on here reading the same old crap about UK 'going to the dogs' etc, so with the kids breaking up from school in the next few days and the sun shining I think I will too retire from the forum and go out and enjoy this lovely country of ours!

Good luck to you all and special kisses to Tracey W (you'll be home soon), Flea (glad you're home) and St George's Girl (your time will come!!)xxxx

What about me:(:o

pommybird Jul 16th 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 6576803)
What about me:(:o

OMG how could I have forgotten about you???!!!!

Special kisses to you too R - you'll be home with your Mum where you belong soonxxx

peanut21 Jul 18th 2008 3:31 am

These kind of posts really can bring one further down on a low day. I long to be too busy back with my pals and in my life that I too no longer have time to log onto the forum.:thumbup:

Unfortunatley I am stuck in a low paying job that just about covers my mortgage until the house sells.:thumbdown:

horrigans Jul 18th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by peanut21 (Post 6583661)
These kind of posts really can bring one further down on a low day. I long to be too busy back with my pals and in my life that I too no longer have time to log onto the forum.:thumbup:

Unfortunatley I am stuck in a low paying job that just about covers my mortgage until the house sells.:thumbdown:

Sorry to hear that the house hasn't sold, Nic (have been majorly busy for the last couple o' months sorting out settling back)... sometimes everything increases your feeling of being an outsider, doesn't it? You will get home though, I know you will.

Sarah

sdunx Jul 18th 2008 5:50 pm

All the best.

That is the best post i have ever read on this site, you captured everything I've ever thought or wanted to say about the whole anti uk sentiment. Well done, great stuff