Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So glad we decided to come home

So glad we decided to come home

Old May 20th 2005, 6:38 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: So glad we decided to come home

Originally Posted by mandy smith
Hello everyone,
I thought id share our experience of Australia and the reasons we returned after just three months,
Both myself and my husband had been to Australia five times before emigrating to Perth in August 2004,we thought it was the perfect place for us,we decided on Perth as we had friends there and the property is alot cheaper there.It took two long years to get the visa and about 4 weeks to find out we had done the wrong thing.
We both found it difficult to find work but evenually did but we were both on very low wages.we had rented our dream house and was apparantly living the dream.the thing is it just didnt feel quite right,we would have good days then have a period of feeling terrible,i think the feeling that this was forever hit us,and we started to appreciate the life we had in the UK.we were use to good paid jobs,the freedom of European travel that was cheap.familiarity of your surroundings and the simple fact that we didnt stand out.
It sounds like we were just moaning but if your heart is not into it what can you do but return to what you know and to make sure that you dont take your life with friends and family for granted again.
I dont regreat trying the Oz experience and i still love the country dearly and hope to holiday there again,but since coming back to blighty im alot more content and its proved to us that grass is not always greener on the other side of the world.
I wish everyone the best of luck in all they choose to do with their lives.

mandy and lance
Good luck back home. I knew too very shorlty after being there. I also know of people that went to Perth as often as you did on holidays, who are thinking about emmigrating again to try it for the second time.

But you will know what is right and what isn't.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:42 pm
Professional Princess

Dont ever let anyone tell you what is best for your life.

Its your money, your life and your choice.

And its your right to experience what ever you can and to choose what you want.

Life is short enough without others making you feel guilty for choices you make.

Good luck.

Old May 20th 2005, 8:44 pm
Merlot

You have done what makes you happy and that is what counts.

Only have one crack at life.

M

Old May 21st 2005, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandy smith
Hello everyone,
I thought id share our experience of Australia and the reasons we returned after just three months,
Both myself and my husband had been to Australia five times before emigrating to Perth in August 2004,we thought it was the perfect place for us,we decided on Perth as we had friends there and the property is alot cheaper there.It took two long years to get the visa and about 4 weeks to find out we had done the wrong thing.
We both found it difficult to find work but evenually did but we were both on very low wages.we had rented our dream house and was apparantly living the dream.the thing is it just didnt feel quite right,we would have good days then have a period of feeling terrible,i think the feeling that this was forever hit us,and we started to appreciate the life we had in the UK.we were use to good paid jobs,the freedom of European travel that was cheap.familiarity of your surroundings and the simple fact that we didnt stand out.
It sounds like we were just moaning but if your heart is not into it what can you do but return to what you know and to make sure that you dont take your life with friends and family for granted again.
I dont regreat trying the Oz experience and i still love the country dearly and hope to holiday there again,but since coming back to blighty im alot more content and its proved to us that grass is not always greener on the other side of the world.
I wish everyone the best of luck in all they choose to do with their lives.

mandy and lance
Hi Mandy and Lance
I'm sorry we didn't catch up with you in Aus, but glad you returned and its the right decision for you. We're enjoying life here but things would be different if we didn't have a young family, I don't think Perth is that great for young couples. The work situation has been hard for hubby but things are slowly starting to improve and much of my life revolves around the kids and they are thriving here, but I'd probably be bored $hitless otherwise!
I hope you continue to enjoy life back in Pompey, Sandra told me she'd caught up with you guys when she was over and we are off out for a curry in Subi tonight with the girls. Bet it won't be as good as the Gandi though
Take care
Larissa
BTW Have they finished the tower in Gun Wharf yet
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

But isnt it a relief once that decision is made - however hard and however much upheaval it is when you know you're going back you know you just gotta get on with it. When we knew we didnt want to stay forever even though we were enjoying ourselves we just had to get back to the UK - we do miss it tho.
Good luck to you....
Old May 26th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Our beautiful and fantastic friends Mandy and Lance.
We all came over together, and we were such good friends. Our friendship went very deep,we became like 'kin' but deep in your hearts you knew it was wrong for you.
We miss you both so very much but respect your decisions.

All the very, very best to both of you......and dont forget you promised a cup of tea with mum!!!!